1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 22:26
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    My beliefs are supported by massively coherent evidence and are consistent with laws of nature. That makes them more than opinions.

Christianity got it wrong about Galileo. Wrong again about Copernicus. The track record of dogma against science in matters pertaining to how narture works is bad and not getting better.
    You mistake the Christan church for the Roman Catholic church. You are stuck in Euro madman view of reality. No individuals, just masses of people in a struggle to dominate other groups. No freedom, just who has control.

You fear giving up control will open the way for a different group to force their views on you.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    It's fun to ask questions such as what is it like in the centre of the Earth or the Sun. In both cases there are some pretty direct constraints on our ability to make direct measurements of the conditions in those places, the answers to those questions might be regarded as having utility. Whether they do or not, it's not clear to me that utility is a determinant of what comes under the purview of Science.
    Those questions can be answered though. I think it's seismology and relative mass measurements that demonstrate the center of the earth is liquid iron. I'm not sure about the sun, but it's nature can theoretically be established.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 23:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You mistake the Christan church for the Roman Catholic church. You are stuck in Euro madman view of reality. No individuals, just masses of people in a struggle to dominate other groups. No freedom, just who has control.

You fear giving up control will open the way for a different group to force their views on you.
    So, it's a control thing for you, is it? You think someone is trying to control your beliefs? You may be right, but you're pointing your finger at the wrong suspects.

Evangelicals did not get it more right on those issues than the Catholic Church. The Vatican at least grudgingly admitted that evolution really happened (without yet admitting deep time); Evangelicals are still fighting evolution tooth and nail.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 23:273 edits
    So, it's a control thing for you, is it? You think someone is trying to control your beliefs? You may be right, but you're pointing your finger at the wrong suspects.

Evangelicals did not get it more right on those issues than the Catholic Church. The Vatican at least grudgingly admitted that evolution really happened (without yet admitting deep time); Evangelicals are still fighting evolution tooth and nail.
    People are not trying to control my beliefs, but the beliefs of children entrusted to schools for their "education".

Kids educated in those schools get the idea that evolution is a proven fact. They are told that the Bible is incorrect. The power of government is used to produce atheists, a certain brand of religious belief.

For you it is control so that kids are taught what to believe concerning human origins.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 04:311 edit
    People are not trying to control my beliefs, but the beliefs of children entrusted to schools for their "education".

Kids educated in those schools get the idea that evolution is a proven fact. They are told that the Bible is incorrect. The power of government is used to produce atheists, a certain brand of religious belief.

For you it is control so that kids are taught what to believe concerning human origins.
    I was not taught that the Bible is incorrect. I was taught to think logically and critically, not to accept statements on authority because somebody says so or because 'it is written', and my curiosity was inspired by watching great minds at work.

Perhaps education in America has in the meantime fallen away from that ideal. If so, I am indeed sorry and worry for the future, not only of freedom in America but elsewhere.

Edit: evolution does rule out belief in God. It only indicates that life did not appear all at once, simple as well as complex forms, in a short time.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 10:18
    Edit: evolution does rule out belief in God. It only indicates that life did not appear all at once, simple as well as complex forms, in a short time.
    I think you meant to write "evolution does not rule out" etc.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 12:13
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    I think you meant to write "evolution does not rule out" etc.
    Oops, quite right. Failure to proof read.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 12:242 edits
    Oops, quite right. Failure to proof read.
    I don't think even
    "evolution does not rule out belief in God"
    is quite what you wanted to say.
    I think you meant
    "evolution does not rule out God existing".
    I was wondering.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 13:23
    Originally posted by @humy
    I don't think even
    I think you meant
    I was wondering.
    How about "evolution does not rule out God's existence and/or belief in God"?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 13:54
    On the life origins front, a small breakthrough understanding how abiogenesis could happen:

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-miniature-droplets-origin-of-life-riddle.html

Phosphorous is required for life, at least our kind of life and water in bulk inhibits reactions with phos.

But make the droplets small enough and the reaction rate can go up by thousands or millions of times because small droplets have a large surface area and the small dimesions inhibit molecules from penetrating very deep into the droplet so there are a lot of surface reactions going on.

One small step for man, and a giant leap for lifekind🙂
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by @humy
    I don't think even
    I think you meant
    I was wondering.

@Andy too
    Hmmm, how about "belief that evolution really happened does not rule out belief in God (for example, that evolution is guided by God)," and "evolution does not rule out the existence of God (whether or not God had anything to do with evolution)."

Of course, it is still an open question whether "God" is to mean the God of Abraham or the God of the philosophers or some other.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 16:23
    Your truth is that you wish to limit who can have kids and how many kids to make the world self sustaining
    I'd like our world to survive and prosper. This bothers you for some reason.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 17:15
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I'd like our world to survive and prosper. This bothers you for some reason.
    I guess with life according to Eladar, it's just fine to have 20 billion people on Earth. Even though right now with "only" 8 billion we are using up 50% of the planet's resources already.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 18:18
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I guess with life according to Eladar, it's just fine to have 20 billion people on Earth. Even though right now with "only" 8 billion we are using up 50% of the planet's resources already.
    "Be fruitful and multiply" made sense when the Hebrews were returning to Palestine from exile and wanted to repopulate their former lands. It no longer makes sense.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 19:06

I went to a Lutheran school K-8 grade, and I can guaruntee you they didn't teach evolution, but due to some other circumstances, by the time I was 8, I realized they were ALL full of shyte because I knew they could not ALL be right but they sure as hell could ALL be wrong.

So I got liberated from the yolk of religion quite early. My 8th grade teacher was especially anti-science and we (the kids in class) all knew it. He got no converts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree