Man-made global warming

Man-made global warming

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
26 Aug 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I sleep quite well at night. I don't EVER worry about how old A&E are or were when they were decanted or whatever you think happened. It is just another creation myth, one of hundreds around the world. You just happen to be one of the billions who have been brainwashed into thinking that story is real. It is such a waste of brainpower.
I can tell you sleep quite well at night. Ignorance is bliss.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Aug 13

Originally posted by Eladar
I can tell you sleep quite well at night. Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance of the veracity of the A&E story? Get serious. I got out of the religious game at the age of 8 and have been very happy with that decision ever since.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Aug 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
You are confusing Theory and Law.

There is both a Law of Gravity and a Theory of Gravity. You were talking about the Law of Gravity on Earth. The Theory of Gravity is for the Universe.

The Law of Gravity on Earth has been adequately tested on Earth to know that it is true for effects on Earth. The Theory of Gravity of the Universe has not been adequ ...[text shortened]... as to how things might work, but has not been tested by the scientific method.

The Instructor
It was Newton's Law of Gravity and Einstein's Theory. Things have come on a little and we do not refer to scientific theories as laws any more. There's no real difference between a theory and an hypothesis. In practice a theory is derived from a paradigm theory where the only thing really in question is the approximation used. We are aware that our paradigms (laws to you) could be wrong - which is why they are repeatedly tested - but they are generally treated as rigorously true when deriving longer range results. These theoretical results can be compared with experiments to provided a test of the underlying paradigms. An hypothesis is normally in regard of an experimental situation where we don't know how to apply our paradigm theories, so someone deduces a rule and calls it an hypothesis.

We require of a theory that it accurately describes what we see, which in particle physics is pretty good. You've made some recent posts which seem to surround the possibility that the speed of light is different in different parts of the universe. The problem is that were the case then we would see lensing effects as the earth went round the sun. We don't see that so the conclusion is that - at least within the local group - the speed of light is not much different to what it is here.

The argument with global warming is over how representative the models, which are representations of theories, are of the climate. Most of the science is well understood, but that is different from being certain of a model, where issues of numerical stability become important. Climate models are no different, so there is scope for debate over how well the model works, but this is not the same as the underlying fundamental science being wrong, the problems in climate science resolve around resolution and the models missing possible effects such as additional carbon sinks.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Aug 13

Originally posted by DeepThought
It was Newton's Law of Gravity and Einstein's Theory. Things have come on a little and we do not refer to scientific theories as laws any more. There's no real difference between a theory and an hypothesis. In practice a theory is derived from a paradigm theory where the only thing really in question is the approximation used. We are aware that our p ...[text shortened]... around resolution and the models missing possible effects such as additional carbon sinks.
The hypothesis and resulting theories are dime a dozen. What science needs is practical applications. Otherwise science is no better than any other recreational activity,

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13

The hypothesis and resulting theories are dime a dozen. What science needs is practical applications. Otherwise science is no better than any other recreational activity,

The Instructor
So the science that discovered the electron in 1890 that led to all of our electronics today or the internet which was developed specifically so academic institutions could share data, all of that was just recreational frill. I see.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Aug 13

So the science that discovered the electron in 1890 that led to all of our electronics today or the internet which was developed specifically so academic institutions could share data, all of that was just recreational frill. I see.
No. That is the kind of practical science I mean. All this stuff about time travel, black and white holes, billions of years in the past, and evilution have no practical value and are only good for recreational discussions.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13

No. That is the kind of practical science I mean. All this stuff about time travel, black and white holes, billions of years in the past, and evilution have no practical value and are only good for recreational discussions.

The Instructor
Funny, I bet that's what a lot of folks thought about discovering the electron in century 19 too.

Then there was the 'if man was meant to fly....' stuff you heard in century 19 also.

You can't tell about where things will lead when you do fundamental scientific research.

Maybe it could even prove there is a god. THAT you would accept.

E

Moves
27 Aug 13

Ignorance of the veracity of the A&E story? Get serious. I got out of the religious game at the age of 8 and have been very happy with that decision ever since.
Ignorance of the fact that even you believe in certain things that must be taken by faith. You don't have the intellectual ability to even look at things from a perspective you do not agree.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13

Ignorance of the fact that even you believe in certain things that must be taken by faith. You don't have the intellectual ability to even look at things from a perspective you do not agree.
Well I do that all the time, try to put myself in the other's shoes. That doesn't stop me from thinking they are full of shyte. You don't know much about me to be making sweeping statements.

E

Moves
27 Aug 13

Well I do that all the time, try to put myself in the other's shoes. That doesn't stop me from thinking they are full of shyte. You don't know much about me to be making sweeping statements.
I didn't say you'd agree with it. I simply asked you to see the logical result of a possible assumption. But hey, I guess some things are a bit beyond your grasp.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13
1 edit

I didn't say you'd agree with it. I simply asked you to see the logical result of a possible assumption. But hey, I guess some things are a bit beyond your grasp.
Yeah, I am SO stupit. Like I said, you know nothing about me. I had my nose rubbed close and personal in the warped minds of religious right wingers so I can pretty much know just what their personal assumptions were.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Aug 13

I don't recall you ever viewing things from my point of view. When did you last do that?

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13

I don't recall you ever viewing things from my point of view. When did you last do that?

The Instructor
Is there a difference between viewing and knowing your POV?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Aug 13

Is there a difference between viewing and knowing your POV?
In your case it does not matter, since you are ignorant of both.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 13

In your case it does not matter, since you are ignorant of both.

The Instructor
Oh, you have changed your POV? You now DON'T believe the Earth is 6000 years old or there was a literal world wide flood? LAWSEY LAWD he's come to his senses.