1. weedhopper
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 06:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The fact that we do not know the exact mass of the universe is what renders his opinion moot. It's an example of just making an unsupportable statement that makes the idea non-scientific.
    I dunno. I heard Morgan Freeman on his Wormhole show on Disc Channel tell the exact number of elecrons in the universe. Now, if we know that, and wh know the rate of expansion of the universe, and we know how much of all the OTHER elements are in the universe...couldn't we determine the mass of the entire universe?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 10:44
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I dunno. I heard Morgan Freeman on his Wormhole show on Disc Channel tell the exact number of elecrons in the universe. Now, if we know that, and wh know the rate of expansion of the universe, and we know how much of all the OTHER elements are in the universe...couldn't we determine the mass of the entire universe?
    We don't know that. In fact the number of electrons is not a constant because they can be produced or asborbed in various nuclear reactions. So what Morgan Freeman was saying was most likely an estimate of the number of electrons.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 22:051 edit
    Exact? 😕
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 14:01
    I dunno. I heard Morgan Freeman on his Wormhole show on Disc Channel tell the exact number of elecrons in the universe.
    Morgan Freeman being, of course, the foremost quantum astrophysicist in modern science. Right.

We don't even know the exact number of electrons in a cubic millimeter of vacuum. And no, it probably isn't zero, at any one moment, for any given cubic mm.

Richard
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 16:09
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Morgan Freeman being, of course, the foremost quantum astrophysicist in modern science. Right.

We don't even know the exact number of electrons in a cubic millimeter of vacuum. And no, it probably isn't zero, at any one moment, for any given cubic mm.

Richard
    Considering virtual particles, even if there were ZERO electrons or protons or neutrons in a given cubic mm, there still would be particles there flashing in and out of existence in sub picosecond times. Good luck counting THOSE!🙂
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 Dec '10 03:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Considering virtual particles, even if there were ZERO electrons or protons or neutrons in a given cubic mm, there still would be particles there flashing in and out of existence in sub picosecond times. Good luck counting THOSE!🙂
    chucklechuckle...😀
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 00:32
    Perhaps the term "a dime's mass" was just being used as a figure of speech...?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    24 Dec '10 16:001 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Perhaps the term "a dime's mass" was just being used as a figure of speech...?
    Even then it would be stupid as mass is not conserved in the universe... An astrophysicist would know this though, so this guy is intentionally lying, probably with the goal of making money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree