1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 17:06
    @deepthought said
    Yes, but of itself it does not constitute a conspiracy for the reasons outlined above. In your haste to identify a conspiracy you've missed the real one. In so far as there was a conspiracy it was to mislead Congress about the existence of the program, probably because Kissinger was worried that the Soviets and Chinese would get in on the game and that Congress might halt the research program.
    Any secret program is a conspiracy. There is a deliberate conspiracy of silence with any classified military program. This military conspiracy of silence is common and expected. Perhaps that is why you falsely believe it is not a conspiracy, because this conspiracy of silence is common. All governments try to conceal new military technology. They are all conspiracies of silence though.

We even have laws to enforce these conspiracies of silence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_Secrecy_Act

The definition of conspiracy is not determined by what you want it to be. You cannot change the definition when it suits you.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 17:52
    @Metal-Brain
    So any weapon system being developed in secret is a conspiracy. Got it.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 08:48
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    So any weapon system being developed in secret is a conspiracy. Got it.
    That is correct.
    There is no disputing that fact.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 16:26
    @metal-brain said
    "Meeting in secret to throw a surprise birthday party does not constitute a conspiracy."

Not true. It is a conspiracy and intended harm has nothing to do with it. Look up "conspiracy" in the dictionary. Just because people are not in the habit of saying they are conspiring to throw a surprise party means nothing. It meets the definition of conspiracy.

Slander in not ...[text shortened]... false rumors. Edison did it to Tesla during the current wars.

Legality has nothing to do with it.
    If secretly planning a party constitutes conspiracy then there is nothing to complain about in conspiracies. I did check the definition of conspiracy in the Oxford Dictionary, you rejected it because it's British. Conspiracy and secrecy are not synonyms, even in US English. Secret collusion is not of itself conspiracy, the collusion has to be with an illegal or tortious objective. The police secretly colluding with the Security Service (MI5) to prevent a terrorist outrage is not a conspiracy.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 17:07
    @Metal-Brain
    You then would have ALL weapons research to be out in the open, design papers delivered to enemies so they would know just what you are up to.
    Also got it. GREAT IDEA.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 17:48
    @deepthought said
    If secretly planning a party constitutes conspiracy then there is nothing to complain about in conspiracies. I did check the definition of conspiracy in the Oxford Dictionary, you rejected it because it's British. Conspiracy and secrecy are not synonyms, even in US English. Secret collusion is not of itself conspiracy, the collusion has to be with an illegal or tortiou ...[text shortened]... cretly colluding with the Security Service (MI5) to prevent a terrorist outrage is not a conspiracy.
    " Secret collusion is not of itself conspiracy, the collusion has to be with an illegal or tortious objective."

Again, what is your source of information? Here is mine.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 17:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You then would have ALL weapons research to be out in the open, design papers delivered to enemies so they would know just what you are up to.
    Also got it. GREAT IDEA.
    Never said that. Try being honest for a change.
    Conspiracies are necessary. They happen all of the time and it is normal. The point I am making is that deepthought has no right to make up false definitions for words just because he has a false notion that conspiracies are always nefarious. That is not the case at all.

Propagandists in a plutocracy try to paint conspiracy theories as something that should not be believed. This protects their self interests that depend on conspiracies for control and power. For that reason the word "conspiracy" has evolved a negative connotation that does not exist in the definition of the word.

You both need to accept conspiracies are both commonplace and not always nefarious. Some are essential for national security.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 19:25
    @metal-brain said
    Never said that. Try being honest for a change.
    Conspiracies are necessary. They happen all of the time and it is normal. The point I am making is that deepthought has no right to make up false definitions for words just because he has a false notion that conspiracies are always nefarious. That is not the case at all.

Propagandists in a plutocracy try to paint conspir ...[text shortened]... onspiracies are both commonplace and not always nefarious. Some are essential for national security.
    Invocations of conspiracy are typically couched as something unlawful, unethical or harmful. If the word conspiracy evolved a negative connotation that does not exist in the original definition, then so did all of it's synonyms.

Synonyms for conspiracy: cabal, crew, gang, Mafia, mob, ring, syndicate.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 06:52
    @metal-brain said
    " Secret collusion is not of itself conspiracy, the collusion has to be with an illegal or tortious objective."

Again, what is your source of information? Here is mine.

Read the post you just replied to carefully, I said there.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:05
    @wildgrass said
    Invocations of conspiracy are typically couched as something unlawful, unethical or harmful. If the word conspiracy evolved a negative connotation that does not exist in the original definition, then so did all of it's synonyms.

Synonyms for conspiracy: cabal, crew, gang, Mafia, mob, ring, syndicate.
    That does not change the true definition of the word. Perception and reality are two different things. I stand by the definition.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:05
    @deepthought said
    Read the post you just replied to carefully, I said there.
    Read mine carefully. It is flawless.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 15:011 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Read mine carefully. It is flawless.
    Had you read my post you would have seen that I said that I had checked the definition in the Oxford dictionary. This is the website which hosts the online version:

https://www.lexico.com/definition/conspiracy
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 02:44
    @deepthought said
    Had you read my post you would have seen that I said that I had checked the definition in the Oxford dictionary. This is the website which hosts the online version:

https://www.lexico.com/definition/conspiracy
    You overlooked this part:

"or harmful."

Not "and", but "or". No law has to be broken.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 17:46
    @metal-brain said
    You overlooked this part:

"or harmful."

Not "and", but "or". No law has to be broken.
    That is what tortious means. If one harms someone then the victim of the harm has been wronged, a wrong is a tort. This is why the secret plan for a surprise birthday party does not constitute a conspiracy.

Secrecy in weapons research involves a plan either to produce a new weapon or to counter an existing one, which can reasonably be described to be producing a possible future harm to a foreign state or states, otherwise the weapon's no good. Since international law accepts the right of states to defend themselves against foreign aggression, the the legality of the weapon or countermeasure is the sole determinant of whether the project would constitute a conspiracy.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 18:351 edit
    @deepthought said
    That is what tortious means. If one harms someone then the victim of the harm has been wronged, a wrong is a tort. This is why the secret plan for a surprise birthday party does not constitute a conspiracy.

Secrecy in weapons research involves a plan either to produce a new weapon or to counter an existing one, which can reasonably be described to be producing a poss ...[text shortened]... apon or countermeasure is the sole determinant of whether the project would constitute a conspiracy.
    No, you are using the legal definition. Legally you cannot charge a person with conspiracy unless they break a law. That is not the true definition of conspiracy. Notice the definition from Merriam Webster. It says nothing about a requirement for an illegal act or even harm.

This is why the secret plan for a surprise birthday party does constitute a conspiracy. The legal definition does not apply there. All that is required is two or more people planning it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy%20of%20silence

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree