1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 17:32
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So you believe Santa is the source of life? Just as much support for Santa as the magical soup.
    No, I believe there are three stages to santa belief. That would explain why I said so.

I think you are right that there is something profound about the existence of life which is hard to pin down. That doesn't make myth-belief any stronger.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 17:44
    Originally posted by @apathist
    No, I believe there are three stages to santa belief. That would explain why I said so.

I think you are right that there is something profound about the existence of life which is hard to pin down. That doesn't make myth-belief any stronger.
    It is not difficult to pin down. It is just impossible to demonstrate through natural means.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 17:49
    It is not difficult to pin down. It is just impossible to demonstrate through natural means.
    Your first sentence is just indoctrination speaking.

Your second point is interesting. What other means are there.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 19:17
    Your second point is interesting. What other means are there.
    Maybe he is saying it is possible to demonstrate through supernatural means; this demonstration I really want to see for myself.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 13:20
    I haven't heard of a space-faring species which died off.
    Since we haven't heard of a space faring race which HASN"T died off, we are still left with exactly 1 planet with known life.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 13:291 edit
    What? You don't like it when the tables are turned.

I do not care what you believe. I do not wish to convince others to believe anything. I suppose that's a fundamental difference between me and you.

The mythical magical soup is a key belief for those who claim their beliefs are rooted in empirical data.
    All we said, and I repeat, ALL we said was, we wait for newer evidence which is NOT faith. If that is arrogant so be it. YOU on the other hand have nothing but bullshyte and ten years ago you had nothing but bullshyte and 10 years from you you will STILL have nothing but bullshyte.

Science, in the meanwhile, grows, on new experiments overturning old knowledge, that is what the scientific method is all about, trying to overturn old evidence and coming up with deeper understanding of the universe. If it were not for the scientific method we would still be executing people on stretch racks for daring to say the sun is the center of the solar system and Earth is not the center of the universe. We would also not be able to have these conversations on the internet. Scientific method works extraordinarily well and that is not based on faith, it is based on FACT JACK.

You seemingly are unable to even answer one of my questions, does the flow of time vary depending on the strength of gravity or the velocity of a craft? Is relativity just bullshyte like your religion or is it real?

We talk about the primordial soup as a working hypothesis which doesn't require a meaningless goddidit explanation.

And I might add, we don't 'believe' in the soup, if strong evidence comes along that goddidit, so be it, we will all pick up our bibles and shout Lord save us from our folly.

Till then, soup is just ONE of the hypotheses of life origins out there. There are others, which you seem to have conveniently forgotten.

Like I have said many times before, science, as advanced as we like to think of it, is still in kindergarten, a LONG way to go before we show how life started. But your absolute arrogance is suffocating, it suffocates your mind and closes it off to even dialog such as this. I pity your mind.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 20:533 edits
    Oh yes, the magical soup. Might as well believe life is a result of pink elephants farting as they dance.
    Just write "The Biggest Pink Elephant You Can Imagine" with capital letters, and then it's perfectly ok for you, isn't it. Primordial soup is based on solid chemistry. Things popping into existence ex nihilo is magic. Magic rates zero mojo here at the Science Forum. Take your opinions to Spirituality; you're out of your depth here.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 14:30
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    All we said, and I repeat, ALL we said was, we wait for newer evidence which is NOT faith. If that is arrogant so be it. YOU on the other hand have nothing but bullshyte and ten years ago you had nothing but bullshyte and 10 years from you you will STILL have nothing but bullshyte.

Science, in the meanwhile, grows, on new experiments overturning old kn ...[text shortened]... cating, it suffocates your mind and closes it off to even dialog such as this. I pity your mind.
    If you believe in the soup from which life evolved you have faith.

I too wait for new evidence. It is called death and meeting God or perhaps when Jesus returns should he do so in my lifetime.

We both wait for new revelations to support our beliefs.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 15:05
    If you believe in the soup from which life evolved you have faith.

I too wait for new evidence. It is called death and meeting God or perhaps when Jesus returns should he do so in my lifetime.

We both wait for new revelations to support our beliefs.
    It's really funny your obsessive need to foist off 'belief' on science. I don't 'believe' in life from soup, it is an open question. You only have words written in an ancient book written before there was even the beginnings of science. They were clueless as to how everything got here and they thought Earth was the center of the universe, I think even you would deny that.

You have been so thoroughly programmed by your religion, giving up the right to think your own thoughts, you think all that creationism is coming from your own mind but it is just the deep brainwashing inherent in religious programming.

And it is clear you will never see your way out of it, holding on to the bitter end convinced you are right and ALL of science is bullshyte,

Not a good stance for the 21st century. Or the 20th or the 19th for that matter.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:54
    It's really funny your obsessive need to foist off 'belief' on science. I don't 'believe' in life from soup, it is an open question. You only have words written in an ancient book written before there was even the beginnings of science. They were clueless as to how everything got here and they thought Earth was the center of the universe, I think even you ...[text shortened]... bullshyte,

Not a good stance for the 21st century. Or the 20th or the 19th for that matter.
    So you have no belief concerning the origins of life. You just believe in a magical beginning.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 20:031 edit
    You just believe in a magical beginning.
    how is you believing that a god making the beginning happen just by magic is not just you believing in a magical beginning?
    You are a hypocrite as well as a liar; unlike you, we obviously don't believe in a magical beginning.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 20:43
    Originally posted by @humy
    how is you believing that a god making the beginning happen just by magic is not just you believing in a magical beginning?
    You are a hypocrite as well as a liar; unlike you, we obviously don't believe in a magical beginning.
    I did not claim that from your point of view my belief would be classified as magic.

To me magic implies man could do it.

In any case both of our beliefs are rooted in a belief in magic.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 00:04
    I did not claim that from your point of view my belief would be classified as magic.

To me magic implies man could do it.

In any case both of our beliefs are rooted in a belief in magic.
    Interesting you think mankind can start life from clay, which to you would be magic. Hasn't happened yet but it might in the future and I would love to see the look on your face when reproducing life came out from scratch in a lab somewhere.

Then mankind would be on an equal footing with your god, able to create life.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 01:54
    Interesting you think mankind can start life from clay, which to you would be magic. Hasn't happened yet but it might in the future and I would love to see the look on your face when reproducing life came out from scratch in a lab somewhere.

Then mankind would be on an equal footing with your god, able to create life.
    Will abiogenesis be demonstrated to be possible in your lifetime?
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 07:17
    Will abiogenesis be demonstrated to be possible in your lifetime?
    possibly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree