1. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 01:29
    The hospital pharmacists that I know in the UK concur that Vitamin D is a good move, but they tell me that it must be D3.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 01:48
    @medullah
    I think that is the general idea. I only see D3 in pharmacies now.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 02:18
    @sonhouse

Nobody should be taking opioids. Once again big money for big pharm. It nearly kills your wife, yet you put full faith in big pharm.

If your wife needs pain relief, try large amounts of noni.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 11:063 edits
    @eladar said
    @sonhouse

Nobody should be taking opioids.
    Grant you opioids are often over-prescribed and misused, but opioids can nevertheless be responsibly used for medical reasons (mainly for just pain relief I assume although there are sometimes other uses) thus your above assertion is too simplistic I think.
    Of course, you can always point to its risks and side effects; but that's true for any medicine.

Once again big money for big pharm.
    Whether something makes "big money for big pharm" is irrelavant to whether we should use it.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 18:36
    @humy said
    Grant you opioids are often over-prescribed and misused, but opioids can nevertheless be responsibly used for medical reasons (mainly for just pain relief I assume although there are sometimes other uses) thus your above assertion is too simplistic I think.
    Of course, you can always point to its risks and side effects; but that's true for any medicine.

Once again bi ...[text shortened]...
    Whether something makes "big money for big pharm" is irrelavant to whether we should use it.
    What is one thing that can only be treated with opioids?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 18:531 edit
    @eladar said
    What is one thing that can only be treated with opioids?
    That's irrelevant because if there is something that can be treated with not only with some medicine X but also with some other medicine, that's not a reason to reject X.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 19:041 edit
    @humy said
    That's irrelevant because if there is something that can be treated with not only with some medicine X but also with some other medicine, that's not a reason to reject X.
    Opioids have proven to be very destructive for people. Doctors are to do no harm.

So why do we continue to see opioids used? One simple answer, big money for big pharm.

Your insistence that Opioids are just fine just goes to show that you do not think for yourself, all you can do is trust what experts tell you.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 19:462 edits
    @eladar said
    Opioids have proven to be very destructive for people.
    like most meds, often when over-prescribed or misused, yes.
    But, like most meds, not usually when used responsibly for medical use.
    So why do we continue to see opioids used?
    because just sometimes they do good when used responsibly?
    -the same reason why most meds are still used despite risks.
    One simple answer, big money for big pharm.
    So we come back to that irrelevancy yet again. -And no, that's not usually why doctors sometimes prescribe them.
    Your insistence that Opioids are just fine

which I don't make because I keep saying its conditional on them being used responsibly and even then there are still some risks just like with all meds, but go on...
    just goes to show that you do not think for yourself, all you can do is trust what experts tell you.
    If "think for yourself" means not listening to the experts but rather forming a layperson opinion about something without first listening to experts or checking what the science says, what you call "think for yourself" would be what most people would call something vaguely along the lines of "forming delusional opinionated beliefs based on arrogant ignorance rather than first listening to the experts or checking what the science says".
    If the experts and the science says X is true then, unless you are an expert about X yourself, your default assumption should be X is probably true until if or when you have some very good evidence or very good reason to think the contrary.
    "think for yourself" is good providing you don't choose to ignore the experts and the established facts in the process.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 20:25
    @humy

Look at the opioid crisis and tell me it is because it was misused. So many doctors simply got it wrong? Even right here we have an example of an elderly woman nearly being killed by doctors even today.

Close your eyes, believe what the experts tell you. The choice is yours.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 21:194 edits
    @eladar said
    @humy

Look at the opioid crisis and tell me it is because it was misused.
    please give me a wedlink to this 'opioid crisis' that was NOT as a result of opioid misuse so I can know exactly what crisis you are referring to as I currently honestly don't.
    + how would that prove an opioid cannot be and hasn't ever been responsibly used to medically benefit somebody? Nobody denies there are risks and we can still learn from past mistakes but that's also true for any med.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 21:28
    @humy said
    please give me a wedlink to this 'opioid crisis' that was NOT as a result of opioid misuse so I can know exactly what crisis you are referring to as I currently honestly don't.
    + how would that prove an opioid cannot be and hasn't ever been responsibly used to medically benefit somebody? Nobody denies there are risks and we can still learn from past mistakes but that's also true for any med.
    So your argument is that the medical community is inept.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 21:311 edit
    @eladar said
    So your argument is that the medical community is inept.
    No.
    And I didn't assert an 'argument' but merely asked two questions and made one assertion.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '21 21:331 edit
    @humy said
    No.
    And I didn't assert an 'argument' but merely asked two questions and made one assertion.
    Who is writing the prescriptions for the opioids?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 14:58
    @Eladar
    What is noni?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 15:08
    It is a foul tasting fruit used in Asia and the Pacific islands for medicinal purposes. It does well for pain relief.

I take it in capsule form, not juice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree