1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 21:45
    @eladar said
    Why do you intentionally misrepresent what I have said?

If people would get their vitamin D levels up we could decrease the death rate by about 87 percent.

Really the death rate is nothing like death rates of the terrible pandemics of yester year. If you factor in an 87 percent reduction, the death rate becomes nothing new for a flu season.

But this information cannot be made known and must be proven wrong by bad studies so the big pharm can cash in on this event.
    How do you know that VitD levels are not merely an indicator of overall health vs. a causative agent?

The entire point of modern medicine was to get death rates down. That's why we have all these public health departments and ventilators and treatment options that weren't available before. There are stories about 1918 in which the doctors "prescribed" whiskey and smoking as treatment for Spanish Flu. No wonder the death rate was higher back then.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 21:581 edit
    @wildgrass said
    How do you know that VitD levels are not merely an indicator of overall health vs. a causative agent?

The entire point of modern medicine was to get death rates down. That's why we have all these public health departments and ventilators and treatment options that weren't available before. There are stories about 1918 in which the doctors "prescribed" whiskey and smoking as treatment for Spanish Flu. No wonder the death rate was higher back then.
    Explain how bad health brings about vitamin D deficiency..
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 22:24
    @eladar said
    he didn't imply bad health brings about vitamin D deficiency, because that implies causation, but rather he implied it may be correlated with vitamin D deficiency, which is true as we know it is often correlated even without causation.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '21 22:52
    @humy said
    he didn't imply bad health brings about vitamin D deficiency, because that implies causation, but rather he implied it may be correlated with vitamin D deficiency, which is true as we know it is often correlated even without causation.
    Of course poor health is associated with vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps prevent cancer, as well as being a key role in respiratory health.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 02:19
    @eladar said
    I don't know enough to explain it, but here's a study. It's hard for me to believe that all the other health/demographic indices associated with VitD deficiency are directly caused by low VitD levels.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21310306/

"Vitamin D deficiency was significantly more common among those who had no college education, were obese, with a poor health status, hypertension, low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level, or not consuming milk daily (all P < .001)."
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 03:471 edit
    @wildgrass said
    I don't know enough to explain it, but here's a study. It's hard for me to believe that all the other health/demographic indices associated with VitD deficiency are directly caused by low VitD levels.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21310306/

"Vitamin D deficiency was significantly more common among those who had no college education, were obese, with a poor health st ...[text shortened]... ension, low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level, or not consuming milk daily (all P < .001)."
    Being vitamin D deficient causes all sorts of problems.

High blood pressure, diabetes and many other issues are linked to low vitamin D.

These things do not prevent a person from increasing vitamin D levels.

But hey, if you refuse to educate yourself on all the things vitamin D do for the body, that is up to you.

Trust in your betters. Believe what your news sources tell you, they are the experts.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 03:54
    @Eladar
    Well in our case it wasn't strictly a doctor, it was a PA, physicians assistant.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 04:13
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Well in our case it wasn't strictly a doctor, it was a PA, physicians assistant.
    Part of the medical professionals. A cog in the machine.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 04:491 edit
    @eladar said
    Being vitamin D deficient causes all sorts of problems.

High blood pressure, diabetes and many other issues are linked to low vitamin D.

These things do not prevent a person from increasing vitamin D levels.

But hey, if you refuse to educate yourself on all the things vitamin D do for the body, that is up to you.

Trust in your betters. Believe what your news sources tell you, they are the experts.
    I know. Linked being the key word. Not necessarily causative. Is there any way to explain why VitD causes these things?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 18:514 edits
    @wildgrass said
    I know. Linked being the key word. Not necessarily causative. Is there any way to explain why VitD causes these things?
    Look up how the body uses vitamin D.

I really do not feel like wasting time doing your Google searches for you. Besides you would blow off what I link.

Heavy dosing a rapid absorption vitamin D has had dramatic results.

Here is the article that includes the info
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90530

3rd try

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90530

Nope, this link dpes not work for me, but the Google page link works. How odd
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '21 22:45
    Copy and paste job from the article

Castillo's team in Cordoba, Spain, randomized 76 hospitalized COVID-19 patients in a 2:1 ratio to receive either open-label calcifediol or no supplementation, in addition to standard care. The intervention group received 1,064 μg of this fast-acting vitamin D analogue in the first week three times more potent than vitamin D3, followed by 266 μg weekly thereafter. Of the treated patients, only 2% (1 out of 50) needed ICU admission compared to 50% (13 of 26) of the untreated group. In addition, 8% of the untreated patients died, compared to none in the intervention group. Though vitamin D deficiency was not identified on admission, the researchers cite a report that the 25-OH-D levels in Cordoba in wintertime are deficient, averaging 16 ng/mL. Using a study population that skews towards vitamin D deficiency makes this a good study to examine the benefits of aggressively correcting this deficiency in COVID-19. T
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '21 12:23
    Crickets.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '21 14:13
    Thos thread is a perfect example of what passes off as discussion at this site. People who know nothing on a subject spout off and argue as if they had a point. Then they thumbs up each other and thumbs down the person who actually knows something. Once the person who gets thumbed down demonstrates he is right, crickets.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '21 15:46
    @eladar said
    Thos thread is a perfect example of what passes off as discussion at this site. People who know nothing on a subject spout off and argue as if they had a point. Then they thumbs up each other and thumbs down the person who actually knows something. Once the person who gets thumbed down demonstrates he is right, crickets.
    I think you found that people generally agree with you that VitD is good for you. The pushback is related to causation. This is the first I can recall in the thread of you mentioning calcifidiol. Seems you're suggesting that calcifidiol works but regular VitD doesn't?
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Jan '21 16:552 edits
    @eladar said
    So you think you are the only one who 'has a point' and anyone who disagrees with you hasn't and gives you a thumbs down because you have 'demonstrated' you are right?
    I have news for you; Other people that disagree with you can and sometimes do have a point and they thumb you down because they think you are wrong and often think its YOU who "know nothing on a subject spout off and argue as if they had a point".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree