1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 00:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    That is plain silly.

P-
    You can say that again!

I Think some people in this thread don't understand what conditional moves entails or how they work.
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 13:05
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    You can say that again!

I Think some people in this thread don't understand what conditional moves entails or how they work.
    Why don't you explain them, then? Let me see what you are getting at.

CC is not supposed to be "rapid moving." Go play blitz or OTB if you want that...

But maybe I'm missing the point, so why don't you outline what a "conditional move" is.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 13:311 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Why don't you explain them, then? Let me see what you are getting at.

CC is not supposed to be "rapid moving." Go play blitz or OTB if you want that...

But maybe I'm missing the point, so why don't you outline what a "conditional move" is.
    We all know what the concept of conditional moves is. We don't need to repeat it. There are loads of explanation already about the subject.

"CC is not supposed to be "rapid moving."" you say. But when we play slowly, people are complaining. The truth is CC may be slow by has not to be slow if both players agree to it. 21 days thinking time is not obligatory for each move. We have the permission to play faster to, like in half a second, if we wish. And this is possible when the next move is foreseeable.

As I see it:
    Some people want conditional moves and are going to use it when it comes.
    Some people don't want conditional moves and will not even notice the existance of such moves when they're being used.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    We all know what the concept of conditional moves is. We don't need to repeat it. There are loads of explanation already about the subject.

"CC is not supposed to be "rapid moving."" you say. But when we play slowly, people are complaining. The truth is CC may be slow by has not to be slow if both players agree to it. 21 days thinking time is not oblig ...[text shortened]... ional moves and will not even notice the existance of such moves when they're being used.
    Precisely.

Conditional moves obviously wouldn't be compulsory. lol.
  5. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

"CC is not supposed to be "rapid moving."" you say. But when we play slowly, people are complaining. The truth is CC may be slow by has not to be slow if both players agree to it. 21 days thinking time is not oblig ional moves and will not even notice the existance of such moves when they're being used.
    Basically, are you saying that with a conditional move, you can go ahead an submit a move...and then...later, if your opponent has not already moved, you can change your mind?

If that's the case...it's not horrible, but you should not make a move without thinking it through all the way. Each move you make, you should be 100% sure of and have no doubt that it is a good move and that you are not going to change your mind. If you do that, you do not need a conditional move. Doing that in itself would end lots of blunders and probably at least a 1500 player on this site I think.
  6. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc ça
    Montreal
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:27
    Basically, are you saying that with a conditional move, you can go ahead an submit a move...and then...later, if your opponent has not already moved, you can change your mind?

If that's the case...it's not horrible, but you should not make a move without thinking it through all the way. Each move you make, you should be 100% sure of and have no doubt that ...[text shortened]... in itself would end lots of blunders and probably at least a 1500 player on this site I think.
    That is not what we mean by conditionnal move. A conditional move is:

-I make move A in the hope that my opponent makes move B and I follow with move C.

Move A is my move made in real time, move C is my conditionnal move. It is conditionnal to the opponent making move B (and only that, if the opponent makes anything else, the conditional move is not done by the computer, my timebank starts and I have to make a regular move when I log back).

CM makes the game go faster for both players and respects the rules of chess. You have as much time as you want to make the conditionnal move because no one forces you to put one every time. If you don't see an obvious response, you don't put one.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 06:20
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang

-I make move A in the hope that my opponent makes move B and I follow with move C.

Move A is my move made in real time, move C is my conditionnal move. It is conditionnal to the opponent making move B (and only that, if the opponent makes anything else, the conditional move is ...[text shortened]... one forces you to put one every time. If you don't see an obvious response, you don't put one.
    Thank you, Bedingbedang, for clearing everything out.

My feeling is that those against CM doesn't know what it is. They make up what they think is CM and argue heavily against it.

CM has been used from the dawn of postal CC as a mean to save stamps, thus speeding the game up. It can't be misused. And everyone is happy. So will we be if a well programmed CM is implemented.

How's beta doing, Russ?
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 11:25
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang

Move A is my move made in real time, move C is my conditionnal move. It is conditionnal to the opponent making move B (and only that, if the opponent makes anything else, the conditional move is ...[text shortened]... one forces you to put one every time. If you don't see an obvious response, you don't put one.
    yes, I guess I don't understand, because that seems preposterous! 2 moves!? If your opponent moves a certain move, the computer does it!? Why? 1 move, just 1 move. You can't just try to predict all sorts of moves your opponent is going to make...
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 11:33
    yes, I guess I don't understand, ... You can't just try to predict all sorts of moves your opponent is going to make...
    No one is asking for you to predict every move. You don't even have to predict one if you don't like. But when the opponent only have one move to make, then it is easy to make a prediction. And it make the game some quicker, and no one will complain over taht.

Please, if you don't understand the concept of CM, why argue against it? You don't even have to use it...
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 14:41
    yes, I guess I don't understand, because that seems preposterous! 2 moves!? If your opponent moves a certain move, the computer does it!? Why? 1 move, just 1 move. You can't just try to predict all sorts of moves your opponent is going to make...
    If you are trading a piece, and know they will take it... why not tell have your next move ready to go? This is used all the time in correspondence chess, and I look forward to it being implemented here at RHP.

If you can't speculate that a pawn is going to take a piece after you trade a knight for a knight or whatever... that is fine. You don't need to use the feature. There are many players here (self included) who can easily speculate what the other player is going to do next. They just might speculate my plans and have their moves ready also.

If you don't use this feature, all that you will see is that it is your move again... just like the person was online waiting for you to move.

No harm done.

This has NOTHING to do with a player making 2 moves in a row.

P-
  11. washington
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 16:43
    the conditional moves feature would be a great thing to have. i used it on gameknot before (although i don't play there any more because i got a subscription here) was nice. with 60 plus games sometimes you forget what you were wanting to play. in a big combination you could plug in the move order to maximize your thoughts so you are playing better, i found it very helpful and if it comes onto here i'd love to use it!

kmac27
  12. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 17:53
    OH, I see. So this would let, say, a simple endgame go by faster maybe? Such as a Q + K vs K mate?

I see what you are on about now
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 17:56
    OH, I see. So this would let, say, a simple endgame go by faster maybe? Such as a Q + K vs K mate?

I see what you are on about now
    Not bad, eh? The idea of conditional moves? I mean now, when you've understood it?
  14. washington
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 18:30
    yes faster but also it would allow you to keep the right moves in your head because i'm sure everyone on here has thought of a good combo somehow and messed it up somehow. i know i have. and when i went back to look at it i found what i did wrong. and in fact it was a good sacrafice if i had done it right.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 07:072 edits
    [b] NO CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

Why? You're supposed to move 1 time. You're supposed to think it through before moving. Blegh. That is not chess. Once the piece is down and your hand leaves it (or you click submit move) it is DONE.

That would be pointless![/b]
    We're not talking about playing chess where the "condition" exists that we are allowed to take moves back.

We're talking about playing a move and setting a move that would occur automatically assuming the opponent played move "x."

For example:

I play 1. e4.
    I then set my conditional move. If Black plays 1. ... c5, then (the computer will) play 2. Nf3.

From what I heard, there may even be a way to do something like this:

I play 1. e4.
    I then set two (or more) separate conditional moves.
    (If 1. ... c5 then 2. Nf3)
    (If 1. ... d5 then 2. exd5)
    (If 1. ... e5 then 2. f4)
    etc. etc. etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree