Any update on conditional moves

Any update on conditional moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jun 07

With luck, this should be in beta in 2 weeks time.

-Russ

F

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Then I hope we have luck!

I'm very exited for the CM thing, how it will turn out, and also how it will be recieved by our members!

Thank you, Russ!

R
The Rams

Moves
25 Jun 07

Well, it seems somewhat like rushing if you use them in the middle game, but as long as you don't have to use them

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ramned
Well, it seems somewhat like rushing if you use them in the middle game, but as long as you don't have to use them
You'll use it after a bit... you'll start to realize you know exactly what the guy is doing next, and you punch in the next move.

If they don't do that, you just think of the new move.

You'd be surprised how many times you make an exchange and there is only one logical answer to your move.

P-

JoR
Scotch addict

Moves
26 Jun 07

Has anyone considered how a conditional move system will interact with the in-game messages?

Let's say white plays Qd5+ forcing Ke8, and uses the conditional move system to queue a follow-up Re1+ forcing Kf8. In normal play, black might send a message with his Ke8 move and another with his Kf8 move.

If this is implemented badly, the first message will never be seen by white. It will go straight into the "message history".

Either black must be warned about the conditional move, so that he doesn't bother to send a message when playing Ke8; or white should be alerted to both of black's messages.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by John of Reading
Has anyone considered how a conditional move system will interact with the in-game messages?

Let's say white plays Qd5+ forcing Ke8, and uses the conditional move system to queue a follow-up Re1+ forcing Kf8. In normal play, black might send a message with his Ke8 move and another with his Kf8 move.

If this is implemented badly, the first messa ...[text shortened]... to send a message when playing Ke8; or white should be alerted to both of black's messages.
Well noted.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
26 Jun 07

If this is implemented badly, the first messa ...[text shortened]... to send a message when playing Ke8; or white should be alerted to both of black's messages.
How about a "speaking balloon" icon next to your game. This would show there was a message written that you didn't see.

There should also be a "Move Made" icon, so you know the other player moved, and your conditional move was made.

P-

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
26 Jun 07
1 edit

If this is implemented badly, the first messa to send a message when playing Ke8; or white should be alerted to both of black's messages.
Yeah, I have given this some thought too, and my provisional plans were to just carry any messages forward and hope a nicer solution presents itself during implementation. Me, a hacker? Nooooo....

It is funny this did come up though, because I have a design which is both powerful and inexpensive (server resources) for conditional moves, and this message issue is the one thing I am not clear on yet.

-Russ

k

washington

Moves
26 Jun 07

i could care less about the messages if i'm winning a game ;-)

TC

Moves
27 Jun 07

-Russ
Yes!! 😀

JoR
Scotch addict

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

...and this message issue is the one thing I am not clear on yet.
A simple solution for now, maybe: when my "black" sends a message with his Ke8 move, don't fire the conditional move after all. Most of the time there will be no message and the feature will be useful.

Also the conditional move mustn't take effect if black were to offer a draw, but you'll have thought of that already...

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Jun 07

-Russ
Do you know what would be great? While you're fiddling with that part of the site, why don't you introduce the rules of chess which are missing, namely draw due to lack of material.

D

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

A simple solution for now, maybe: when my "black" sends a message with his Ke8 move, don't fire the conditional move after all. Most of the time there will be no message and the feature will be useful.

Also the conditional move mustn't take effect if black were to offer a draw, but you'll have thought of that already...
Maybe there could be a note next to the message saying "click here for opponent's move" and after reading the message, they could click and move on to the move and the game.

Just an idea.

d

Moves
29 Jun 07

Or, you could have a system for specifying, when entering a conditional move, what to do if your opponent offers a draw: accept, decline and play the conditional move, or do neither, so you can consider your decision after receiving the offer.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
03 Jul 07
2 edits

Have you thought about the conditional move interface?

I brought up a couple of months back. Here's my idea.

Using a friendly GUI interface - you could set consecutive PGN style lines with the user allowed to set as many as they want.

E.g. You are playing as back and your opponent plays 1.e4

so you play 1...e6 and along with your real-time move you submit the following conditional moves:

2.d4 d5 3. Nf3 Bg4
2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5
2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 c5
2. d4 d5 3. Nf3 Bg4 4. e5 c5
2. d4 d5 3. Qe2 resign

etc. etc.