Clan Elo Rating Suggestion

Clan Elo Rating Suggestion

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
21 Mar 17

Originally posted by Russ
A clan rating "preview" has just been released.

The clan tables have a new addition, a "rating" column, on the far right (for now). You can sort on this column, but this will become the default sort order when viewing the clan directory.

The clan ratings are not reset each year, but roll over into the following year. Final annual standings are still ava ...[text shortened]... ot calculated live for now, so any new wins/loses will not be reflected in the graphs or rating.
What changed in the calculation of the net and gross points ?
Even if they will no longer be the primary metric, I am still just wondering.

rc

Moves
21 Mar 17
1 edit

Originally posted by mghrn55
What changed in the calculation of the net and gross points ?
Even if they will no longer be the primary metric, I am still just wondering.
I agree it appears to me to be simply the same system and that instead of having net and gross points these are simply transformed into a rating.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
21 Mar 17

not quite the sledgehammer some were hoping for

Moves
22 Mar 17

a clan rating based on ELO looks a bit strange at first, but let's keep an open mind

this is the first part of an effort from RHP to address several problems

we need to play with the change in place for a while and give good feedback

when we see how it works in practice, we can ask for additional refinements

Russ, can you please add a sort by 'rating' option to the clan directory drop down?

thanks
~leo

Moves
22 Mar 17

additional thought...

ELO was originally intended for individual ratings, not teams or clans

it's a good foundation for the fair play we're trying to achieve

we will probably need to augment it with additional metrics

m

Moves
22 Mar 17

The clan tables have a new addition, a "rating" column, on the far right (for now). You can sort on this column, but this will become the default sort order when viewing the clan directory.

The clan ratings are not reset each year, but roll over into the following year. Final annual standings are still ava ...[text shortened]... ot calculated live for now, so any new wins/loses will not be reflected in the graphs or rating.
It does not appear to address collusion.

This was the primary issue that prompted you to make the changes.

Moves
22 Mar 17

collusion is indeed the prime consideration, granted, and well put sir

ELO may be a step in the right direction, so we're trying it (thanks Russ)

as has been suggested, additional metrics may need to be applied to make it playable

good ideas will come as a result of this experiment

my clan is at full strength, so this suggestion might not help me, but it might be of advantage to smaller clans

perhaps a player could be permitted more than one pairing in a challenge if the ratings work out and if it is acceptable to both clan leaders

this would give a clan of few or one, a chance to create a larger challenge than is possible under the existing system

i find the idea intriguing (especially for folks like lemondrop)

food for thought, comments welcome

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
22 Mar 17

Originally posted by Giannotti
collusion is indeed the prime consideration, granted, and well put sir

ELO may be a step in the right direction, so we're trying it (thanks Russ)

as has been suggested, additional metrics may need to be applied to make it playable

good ideas will come as a result of this experiment

my clan is at full strength, so this suggestion might not hel ...[text shortened]... the idea intriguing (especially for folks like lemondrop)

food for thought, comments welcome
Please tell me there are going to be more changes to address the collusion of certain clans as illustrated last year (and again this year).

If this is not addressed then I and quite a few others would feel cheated out of our subscription fee we paid to receive a certain service that was not supplied.

Can you please comment on whether the collusion of last year will be addressed so that those of us who pay our subscription to purely play in a fairly run clan competition can decide on our future actions.

Putting a band aid on the problem ain't going to fix it.

Retired

Missouri

Moves
22 Mar 17

Russ,

I see absolutely nothing in your "preview" that addresses the current collusion issue.
If no additional changes are forthcoming, I will not be renewing my subscription and I assure you many many others will be doing the same.

respectively, My2sons

Here

Moves
22 Mar 17

Lovely colours
Doesn't appear to solve anything
You said that you were going to try different solutions to the problem other than ELO
When can we expect to see them ?

rc

Moves
22 Mar 17
3 edits

Originally posted by mghrn55
It does not appear to address collusion.

This was the primary issue that prompted you to make the changes.
or sandbagging for that matter, In order for it to address sandbagging the overall rating needs to be linked to the players individual ratings. As it stands its simply a different way to express a win loss ratio. It does address people throwing games though which might prevent Metallica from engaging in their end of the year challenge dumps and throwing games when a challenge is won or lost. Its certainly a step in the right direction.

Actually the primary issue was not a single issue as you have rather predictably claimed but multifaceted and it comes as no surprise that you still live in a kind of fantasy realm. Your clans manipulations have been well documented and if you think you can continue to treat them with denial you have another thing coming.

Here

Moves
22 Mar 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
or sandbagging for that matter, In order for it to address sandbagging the overall rating needs to be linked to the players individual ratings. As it stands its simply a different way to express a win loss ratio. It does address people throwing games though which might prevent Metallica from engaging in their end of the year challenge dumps and th ...[text shortened]... ented and if you think you can continue to treat them with denial you have another thing coming.
I was under the impression that you advocated this system as the best thing since sliced bread
It appears that as usual you are totally wrong
In this system as was pointed out in the other forum, the less challenges you do the better

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
22 Mar 17

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Dave, I am being serious. What does it do?? The graph of a clan??
If you go on the clans tab and alter the filter to clan rating it shows a different measure of the clan performance.Without reading back thro' the thread I think Russ says that although it's a preview at the moment he's going to make it the default view.
As you know Fred, I've often said the net points view is an inaccurate measure of a clans performance.I think this is a better representation.Give it a try and see the difference!!(I write commercials for washing powder companies -not true) As for the graphs, if you click on the columns you get a breakdown of the clan performance for a particular challenge which could be useful when considering a fresh challenge against that clan.For instance if I clck on a challenge where we played Metallica I could see who played against who and the results for each game as well as the overall result.

m

Moves
22 Mar 17

Originally posted by venda
If you go on the clans tab and alter the filter to clan rating it shows a different measure of the clan performance.Without reading back thro' the thread I think Russ says that although it's a preview at the moment he's going to make it the default view.
As you know Fred, I've often said the net points view is an inaccurate measure of a clans performance.I th ...[text shortened]... I could see who played against who and the results for each game as well as the overall result.
That depends how the net points are accumulated.

I have held off putting forth a suggestion I had previously posted.

I will resubmit my proposal in the next couple of days or so.
I am currently travelling and have only my smartphone on me.

I may not easily see everything you do.

I hope Russ' proposals are not past the point of no return.

I see too many problems with the clan rating metric.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
22 Mar 17

Originally posted by venda
As you know Fred, I've often said the net points view is an inaccurate measure of a clans performance.I th ...[text shortened]... I could see who played against who and the results for each game as well as the overall result.
But Dave, I can already do everything you said, sans having a graph that is for the most part, pretty worthless IMO. Why would a "clan's graph" make it any easier or harder to get challenges than it already is? It won't Am I to infer that if my clan has an average rating of 1300 and the clan I am proposing to play has a 1400 clan rating, that I should walk away from the challenge?? You have all different clan compositions on this site. You have some that are very top heavy with many 2000+ rated players. You have some that are more than 50% players with ratings of 1000 or less. And you have many with various compositions in between. When the dust settles, you still have to have players that match up reasonably close to get a challenge done, right? How will this graph show me any of that? How will this graph deal with the collusion issues of robbie and the three sisters? How does it deal with McTatyto's sandbagging epidemic? I have not believed in the rating system here for years, as I have said many times before. I maintain my own set of charts about the strength of players on this site that we have had experience with.

So, I ask again, how does this address any of these issues?