1. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 00:54
    Will there be a 20-game provisional period for each club?

It seems that if engines are still banned site-wide, you're not really removing any of the burden from the site-wide admins (game moderation team or what have you), because you still have to police cheating everywhere. Maybe some of the more "reputable" clubs could kick out cheaters faster based on their own policies, or something. But this in itself could lead to a lot of in-fighting and arguments.

I'm not sure I'm getting why being in a club would be a compelling experience. If I'm more interested in a club rating than the site rating, that seems like kind of an admission that the site rating is not trustworthy. I'm not sure if you're allowed to join multiple clubs, but if everyone is in 3 or 4 clubs, I think everyone will just look at whichever rating is displayed most prominently in the profile anyway.

I wonder what percentage of your opponents you would generally expect to come from one of your own clubs. If it's fairly small, then it will take quite a long time for your club ratings to become reliable.
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 00:58
    Maybe we should get the 'Affiliated Clubs' next to the 'Affiliated Clans' information mentioned in our profiles?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:01
    Originally posted by incandenza

I wonder what percentage of your opponents you would generally expect to come from one of your own clubs. If it's fairly small, then it will take quite a long time for your club ratings to become reliable.
    Club members are more likely to play each other (speculation, I admit). Obviously, the rating system only really works with a large number of people, but we shall see what develops if club membership grows.

-Russ
  4. Standard memberjohnyg
    Metallica is weak
    better then here!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:02
    Hopefully anyone who has ever used a chess engine during an active game should be banned for life.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:02
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Maybe we should get the 'Affiliated Clubs' next to the 'Affiliated Clans' information mentioned in our profiles?
    Yes, this will happen, if this is adopted proper.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:03
    I cant read the descriptions....
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:302 edits
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is a consultation thread for 'clubs' with some (rather rough, but mostly functional) live code behind it to make things more interesting. (Example Club 1)

The 'clubs' concept can go forward in any direction, adopted wholeheartedly, or be [b]erased completely if it proves to have no merit.
    So please don't be too upset if this all gets old back. I don't think even Chris is sold on this, so no need to be polite...

-Russ[/b]
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the club games to be separate?

So, for example, they'd be kind of like Clan Games - except only within your clan. So you go to the "Club" that you're in, find a member that you'd like to challenge, and play them. The outcome of that game, however, affects only you club rating and not your "RHP" site rating. IDK, perhaps that makes less sense? Just an idea.

Or, better yet, have the option of making that game count for both your club and RHP rating, or only for your club rating.

BTW, Russ, in any case - I love the idea. I just got done telling a friend of mine how game moderation would be done if I were in charge, and now you've given me the chance. 🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:30
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I cant read the descriptions....
    Click the club's name, and look to the left.
  9. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:40
    Would it be reasonable to use these clubs as a consultation club as well? I do know that a few clans will set up non rated games with eac other for those purposes?
  10. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:42
    I agree with this; let club games affect only club rating. Otherwise engine users will get double the benefit; a fake club rating AND a fake rating.
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:461 edit
    The most important thing for a club is to have a DEDICATED leader. I have chosen my club based on the leader's activity (GalaxyShield) and it seems to be a good club.

- The club leader ought to check each user very specifically to insure that the user does not use engines. Should be done often - some players will be easy to determine.

-Ought to be a strong, 1800+ player who knows the game well. This is a good quality in leadership and shows the leader knows what he's doing.

-Ought to know the site well.
  12. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:47
    Another question.

Will clan games and tournament games between club members effect club ratings?
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:51
    I question the rating system. All it seems to be is a rating based on who's played each other the most. What possible use can that be.....for anyone ?
  14. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:53
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Another question.

Will clan games and tournament games between club members effect club ratings?
    Shouldn't be.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 02:02
    Russ had talked with me about this more than a year ago and somewhat into my being both a forum and a game mod. I believe this is a way for you to run your club the way you want, much like Russ needs to run the site.

Don't like vacation? Kick them. Don't like that 300 point jump in the graph, boot. Don't like them talking smack? etc... etc...

Some clubs will work, some will fail. People will get mad, who knows. But YOU run your club and deal with it how you like.

The rest of it is Russ with rules. I hope to see a forum, or 4 that we can name.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree