1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 18:08
    Originally posted by dinc168
    Lets see how this goes now,not too long ago I was reading David Tebbs' profile(I read profiles instead of the over and over again informative information on the forums)his profile stated at some point I use books and databases unless you ask me not to.Now in my 0 tolerence little world,databases,books,programs and your grade 12 math teacher standing over yo ...[text shortened]... hed cheat police if they now how to catch a cheater,the best person to catch a thief is a thief.
    Read the TOS. Books and databases are allowed in correspondence chess.
    Programs and your grade 12 math teacher are different and they are covered in the TOS.

ps: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1311655

D
  2. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 18:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Programs and your grade 12 math teacher are different and they are covered in the TOS.

D
    gets my rec.

100% correct ... Even the Slow Pawn has used databases and books for the clan league (I think that was the first time I got my books out since 199? ... lol ... Dunno yet if it helped :-)
  3. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 18:42

D
    Oh geez,I guess when the first ever chess game was played on this planet,the first game must have gone something like this."it's your move Fred","hang on Bill I have to get my books and fire up the database,I am not smart enough to play this game with out them."I Know some of you 15 year olds have only been playing chess since the internet came out and think that is the only way to play the game.and of course this is correspondence like so many are quick to say.hogwash.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 19:06
    Oh geez,I guess when the first ever chess game was played on this planet,the first game must have gone something like this."it's your move Fred","hang on Bill I have to get my books and fire up the database,I am not smart enough to play this game with out them."I Know some of you 15 year olds have only been playing chess since the internet came out and ...[text shortened]... way to play the game.and of course this is correspondence like so many are quick to say.hogwash.
    Look granpa,

if you don't like the rules of correspondence chess, then don't play it. Simple as that. Insinuating that one of the top players on here cheats isn't going to win u any friends.

D
  5. An airport near you
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 21:57
    Oh geez,I guess when the first ever chess game was played on this planet,the first game must have gone something like this."it's your move Fred","hang on Bill I have to get my books and fire up the database,I am not smart enough to play this game with out them."I Know some of you 15 year olds have only been playing chess since the internet came out and ...[text shortened]... way to play the game.and of course this is correspondence like so many are quick to say.hogwash.
    Do you recall your first game against someone who could actually play chess, rather than your brother?
    That's when I realised I wasn't smart enough to play chess without books 😉
  6. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:05
    ...not too long ago I was reading David Tebbs' profile...his profile stated at some point I use books and databases.
    Totally off topic (no bad thing in this thread), back in keanu-fu Tebb days, I recall his profile onced asked people to please use books/databases against him!

The sad fact is folks like me just get maulled so easily that without aid its no competition for the big guns. Unfortunately I have no books or databases. Fortunately for Dave, I've never drawn him in a tourney so he's avoided my trademark d4 opening 🙂
  7. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:43
    I actually think the first thing the mods should do is analyze each others games whether or not I become one. My votes were of course for grayeyes and also tebb.
  8. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 02:22
    Originally posted by mateulose
    As I said, there is an important clause, "at the RHP's administrator's discretion" If Trackhead gets voted in as a cheat police, he likely will be investigated by Russ himself immediately before he ever officially becomes one. If he is cleared, he's a police, if not, he's simply gone forever. It's that simple, from what I have heard, Russ is already ...[text shortened]... ill check up on your backgrounds before giving you the job, even if you are more then qualified.
    Personally I hope that when Russ said he was testing out th tools that he tested everyone before putting them on the list for voting.
  9. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 02:40
    Lastly in this thread someone mentioned Uchess cant remember where but I saw it. Wish I could find the old post on there. If you must know I have been accused of cheating on Uchess which was after I posted a message that I had just come across an engine on there. Funny thing is that the accuser was the #1rated player on ths site now, whom if you ever visit the Uchess forum you would know that everyone knows uses an engine and multiple accounts. My post there before being accused was basically laughing at the guy because I beat him in two games because he ran out of time, my guess from switching between the game and engine which probably isnt wise considering it was a 5 minute game. Still laugh about that guy now, funny that he ended up becoming the top rated player there. Anyway here's a bit of one of several messages I'm getting from the true players here.

Regarding people spreading rumors that you use an engine, judging from the couple of games we played, your response time, number of concurrent games, moves, etc, I seriously think they're full of crap. Probably a bunch of sore loosers :-)

This from someone who voted for me. Players who know me better than others, like ones I have discusions with during the game or help out with their game play, know my feelings about engine use. I will admit what I did 3 months ago was wrong, posting those names. I did do it out of anger of too many engine users on the site but it is something I wouldnt do again, as it really caused a large bit of anger against me. I know not too long ago a certain player mentioned that many of the players I named mysteriously left the site and about how the main person named who caused most of the anger against me and false claims of me using an engine had since dropped about 300 points in rating and stays there. Even with that, though my actions had a part in getting rid of probable engine users it still wasnt right. The cheat moderators are right. They are a huge step for this site in my eyes. And though I would like to be a part of them and welcome any votes for me, their existence is all I really care about. I would just like for everyone to vote, no matter who they vote for, just vote for those you feel will make good cheat mods and do the job well. And thats all I have to say about that :-)
  10. Joined
    26 Dec '03
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 02:54
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    I actually think the first thing the mods should do is analyze each others games whether or not I become one. My votes were of course for grayeyes and also tebb.
    If I do make it onto the mods I have no problem with anyone checking my games. I think it is a good idea that the mods should be screened first.
  11. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 03:46
    Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
    If I do make it onto the mods I have no problem with anyone checking my games. I think it is a good idea that the mods should be screened first.
    You know what I was wondering, if I do make it, after my games are analyzed, will boris make an official apology to me for his constant harrassment with false accusations? Hmmmm, I really wonder about that.
  12. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 04:41
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    I haven't found the thread where one can vote (please pm me) but I would like to cast my vote [b]AGAINST Trackhead by all means ... I don't care what people say, but I know for a fact that he is not a real person (as a result of the analysis Tejo, Eyeqpc and Osse)

If Trackhead becomes part of the cheat policy we might as well vote Mickey Mouse ...[text shortened]... al player as well which he has proven on many occasions, e.g. his simul victory aginst Kasparov)[/b]
    You may be right nobody knows????
  13. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 04:44
    Look granpa,

if you don't like the rules of correspondence chess, then don't play it. Simple as that. Insinuating that one of the top players on here cheats isn't going to win u any friends.

D
    colm down !! grand ma
  14. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 04:45
    My votes were for DAvid tebb, ouroboros, and gatecrasher!!
  15. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 08:445 edits
    Personally I hope that when Russ said he was testing out th tools that he tested everyone before putting them on the list for voting.
    I don't imagine that Russ' "tools" will be that sophisticated, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for the Game Moderators to begin with. I imagine they are tools to check for behaviour that might be associated with cheating rather than to spot cheating out right.

I would guess it's something like a counter to see how often people download PGNs of their games, if someone was doing this for every move it could suggest foul play. Unless of course they're like me and prefer to analyse their position in a PGN viewer. I find it so much quicker to use (you can drag and drop the pieces for a start and you can go back one move without having to redo it all again!) than the analyse board screen in RHP which always seems to be as slow as a lazy dog even with my broadband connection!

He has probably also developed something to try and calculate thinking time, an equation based of number of moves per number of games in a set time allows for x seconds think time per move, something along those lines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree