23 Aug '08 21:373 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 22:182 edits
    Great in theory, but it has to be implimented equally.

"Do Not Flame The Staff", also you have to say "Do Not Flame The Subscriber" (Everything that applies to the subs, should apply to the Mod)

What irks me, is when you get a Moderator who is involved in an argument with a subscriber in public forum, (which should never happen), being able to send that Subscriber a warning note. I do not believe this to be in fairness to the Subscriber.

Another thing, when two subscriber are having a disagreement, or "war of words", I like to call it, a "Moderator" should never take sides in public forum. It does show bias!

Just a few quick thoughts off the top of my head.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 22:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yeah the "changes to the forum moderation" thread was very constructive, with someone threatening/intimidating a paying customer of this site. No doubt everyone would have liked to have seen "justice served" on this issue.

On the same token why was that thread removed? Was someone "feeling the heat"?
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 22:28
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    when you get a Moderator who is involved in an argument with a subscriber in public forum, (which should never happen),
    Bull. If a subscriber is being a bloody idiot any mod should be allowed to call the user out.

You say all rules hould be applied equally, but then you want to limit mod involvement in the forums. Make up your mind.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 23:094 edits
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Bull. If a subscriber is being a bloody idiot any mod should be allowed to call the user out.

You say all rules hould be applied equally, but then you want to limit mod involvement in the forums. Make up your mind.
    Look at the rules, you are calling a user an "idiot" that is part of what is being discussed, you should not do that! In order to earn respect you have to show a little respect Mr. Mod!

1) Discussions in forums can often get heated, but while you may take issue with another poster's viewpoint, you must not resort to personal attacks or abuse. Do not post offensive or inflammatory remarks that stray beyond the bounds of reasoned debate. Calling another poster an "idiot" will leave a post subject to immediate removal.

I still believe you can handle things better in P.M.'s than conflict with a subscriber, in the public forum, where it becomes a joke, and everyone gets involved! The post below this is a good example, of what I am saying, thank you Epic!
  6. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 23:16
    Crowley has even followed me to another site... stalked me... and called me names and cursed at me. Is there no end to the harassment of the mods? I'm thinking about canceling my ISP and never getting on the internet again because of him.Im scared ..real scared now.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 00:58

Ideally a moderator should be cool tempered, unbiased and intelligent. I dont have those qualities and neither do you.
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 03:55

1) Discussions in forums can often get heated, but while you may take issue with another poster's viewpoint, you must not resort to personal attacks or abuse. Do not post offensive or inflammatory remarks that stray beyond the bounds of reasoned debate. Calling another poster an "idiot" will leave a post subject to immediate removal.

I still believ ...[text shortened]... e gets involved! The post below this is a good example, of what I am saying, thank you Epic!
    Most of the moderators here do a great job in difficult circumstances, but there are some personality types who are unsuited to the task, and the moderator rules give too much unrestrained power to such people.

Where I see a major difficulty is that any MOD can make personal attacks on any POSTER with or without cause, and then the same MOD can award a forum ban to that POSTER who has no defence because he has been silenced by the ban.

I cannot name the only MOD who I believe oversteps the mark because I may provoke that MOD to silence me with a forum warning or ban.

I believe that a single MOD should have the right to remove single posts and close threads, but any warnings or bans (including thread removals) should be a two or three person decision. And if that's slow, so much the better, everyone has time to cool down.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 06:18
    The mods are watching over us.
    Who is watching over them? Answer: Russ, the Creator.
    Because if he didn't, then the whole site would soon deterioate.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:15
    Look at the rules, you are calling a user an "idiot" that is part of what is being discussed, you should not do that! In order to earn respect you have to show a little respect Mr. Mod!

1) Discussions in forums can often get heated, but while you may take issue with another poster's viewpoint, you must not resort to personal attacks or abuse. Do not ...[text shortened]... gets involved! The post below this is a good example, of what I am saying, thank you Epic!
    I didn't call anyone an idiot - it was hypothetical...

And if you can't figure out that epic is actually making a joke, then I think we are getting to the root of your little 'problem'...
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:16
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Most of the moderators here do a great job in difficult circumstances, but there are some personality types who are unsuited to the task, and the moderator rules give too much unrestrained power to such people.

Where I see a major difficulty is that any MOD can make personal attacks on any POSTER with or without cause, and then the same MOD can award a ...[text shortened]... three person decision. And if that's slow, so much the better, everyone has time to cool down.
    Luckily the mod who couldn't handle the pressure and was not suited to the job left the team, so we're OK again now.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Ideally a moderator should be cool tempered, unbiased and intelligent. I dont have those qualities and neither do you.
    You don't have a clue what 'qualities' I have buddy.
    You don't know me. we've had one little run-in in the general forum and before that I didn't even know you existed.

Isn't it ironic that only people I have disagreed or had arguments in the past with say I'm unsuited for the mod work.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 10:311 edit
    You don't have a clue what 'qualities' I have buddy.
    You don't know me. we've had one little run-in in the general forum and before that I didn't even know you existed.

Isn't it ironic that only people I have disagreed or had arguments in the past with say I'm unsuited for the mod work.
    Lets see :

1. Memory - We have had discussions several times before. If I can remember that it means your ability to remember is not up to scratch. A very bad quality for a moderator.

2. Cool Tempered : In the last few days you called me :
    - Idiot (several times)
    - Unchristian
    - Pathetic
    - Douchebag
    - Ignoramus
    Yet I never retaliated. So on the issue of cooltemperedness, I beat you. You also called Arrakis who was not part of the discussion "... that useless sack of lard.." That certainly was uncalled for.

3. Biased : You wondered aloud why "..nobody is apparently angry at this Raj guy ...". So you were clearly angry with me and nobody else was at the time. So its either the rest of the 'world' is biased or you are. Which would you say it is.

As for your intelligence - no comment. But I can make an educated guess what range you fall in...and its about the same as mine. And I confess that I dont have what it takes to be a successful moderator ... and Im sure you dont either.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 10:49
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Lets see :

1. Memory - We have had discussions several times before. If I can remember that it means your ability to remember is not up to scratch. A very bad quality for a moderator.

2. Cool Tempered : In the last few days you called me :
    - Idiot (several times)
    - Unchristian
    - Pathetic
    - Douchebag
    - Ignoramus
    Yet I never retaliated. So on the i ...[text shortened]... at I dont have what it takes to be a successful moderator ... and Im sure you dont either.
    I was VERY angry about your post and your defense of it later on. I didn't ban you or anything, did I? How was I biased then? I was merely making my (very low) opinion of you known.
    Next time, try to understand what words mean before starting to throw them around...

Why would a good memory of apparently boring person be beneficial to a forum moderator? Don't you think it's better that I not remember anything so as to not cloud any moderation judgment with previous encounters?

Whoever said a mod MUST be cool tempered? I get angry, just like anyone else on these forums. I sometimes carry my heart on my sleeve, but I believe I'm ultimately very fair too, so I don't see what this has to do with anything, as I don't make any rash decisions whilst angry...
  15. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 11:57
    Luckily the mod who couldn't handle the pressure and was not suited to the job left the team, so we're OK again now.
    Yeah, right ... nobody has complained about a moderator since last April ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree