1. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 14:592 edits
    If there are going to be as many as 20 game moderators as has been suggest and Arrakis isn't one of them I think that would be a crying shame. This has nothing to do with clan loyalty and everything to do with common sense.
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 15:55
    I also believe that it should be made more clear what is expected from the group and its participants before a final choice is made (I haven't voted yet). I indicated my willingness to assist - and still confirm - but I am not in a position to devote a sustained and substantial amount of time to this. A background (manual) task, perhaps assisting others, could be an option.

Also, Russ has not stated that the group would consist of only 3 people (the fact that our voting is limited to 3 names does not imply this). Perhaps the tasks could be divided among a few more.

3. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:00
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    I also believe that it should be made more clear what is expected from the group and its participants before a final choice is made (I haven't voted yet). I indicated my willingness to assist - and still confirm - but I am not in a position to devote a sustained and substantial amount of time to this. A background (manual) task, perhaps assisting others, ...[text shortened]... imited to 3 names does not imply this). Perhaps the tasks could be divided among a few more.

I think Russ put the vote out so that the members are part of the process. Of course there will be more than 3 people selected; it's a lot of work just to study one game and there will probably be dozens of games submitted.... maybe even dozens of games submitted just for one player. Not only that, but the team will need at least one version of each popular chess program. There's over half a dozen current popular chess programs.

The team will be more effective if we have a mixture of talents as well as attitudes. I only volunteered cause I care about RHP and I simply want to help out. I don't think bickering in a forum solves anything.
  4. An airport near you
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:01
    Originally posted by Exy
    I think it's a tribute to Arrakis fair approach that he still gave JW the benefit of the doubt and considered him innoccent until he was convinced of the evidence that he was guilty. I would have thought this level of fair mindedness and attention to detail were exactly the qualities one would want in a Game Moderator.

We need a mix of people clearly and ...[text shortened]... we end up with Witchfinder Generals in the role it would make for a very nasty community indeed!
    Arrakis has however decided that Geoffkus is a computer user, posting this publicly with no supporting evidence. He may or may not be, the point is that the standards Arrakis claims he applied to JW don't seem to be applied universally.
  5. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    As the JW threads are gone, and seeing as some people are unhappy with your analysis of JW, would you mind doing a similar hypothetical analysis of another player, say DiabloDk? Diablo seems to be a quite similar case to JW, and it would be interesting to see your thoughts.

While I don't doubt you for a minute, we can all come on here and claim to be s ...[text shortened]... ngine buster, I own a 300mph dirtbike, am a skateboarding champion and I'm extremely rich.

D
    I cannot do a study on anyone at this time because it would be inappropriate. You ask for validation of my credentials... many of my games have been published in Chessbase over the years (I think over 100), and around 20 of my articles show up if you put my name into Google.

Don Vandivier
  6. Standard membermateulose
    Look, it's a title!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:35
    I agree, Arrakis is a bad choice, he has proven in the past to be a very biased and an over patriotic player towards his clans and friends. Such mods are a danger to the legitamacy of the cheat police. Yes, Arrakis is very qualified in the field, but then again, so are the broadcasters of FOX news in their field, but they are so biased that the truth never comes out and is massively distorted. I don't think we want to open up this can of worms in the RHP cheat police.
  7. Standard memberDeepfault
    Devil's Advocate
    On the Fence
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:48
    So only David tebb is universally supported then any other recomendations or de-recomendations?
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 22:58
    Originally posted by Deepfault
    So only David tebb is universally supported then any other recomendations or de-recomendations?
    30 or so people did not vote for DT... Not that it matters. He is best qualified IMPO.

This is what is good about a TEAM of people to do this job. It is not just one person who says boo and an RHP user is banished. Lower rated people who end up on the team will be testing games against computers and figuring out match percentages. This is not the answer to finding a cheat, as many moves become forced, and others are 'no brainer moves'. Once these games are checked by users the important ones will be looked at very careful, and decisions will be made.

This is just a guess on my part, I don't see how else it might work other than just plugging games and viewing results, and making decisions as a team.

As for picking this team... Russ is the final decision maker, he just wants our 2 cents as a whole. He might already have the team all picked out but stalling for more time while he continues to work on tools and a new forum for the team.

P+

9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:04
    Originally posted by Deepfault
    Although David Tebb is certain a well-qualified person just by virtue
    of his rating, the person who has essentially led this charge is
    Grayeyesofsorrow. He has demonstrated a keen ability in examining
    games; several of his analyses are posted on the 'ForumWars'
    website (both of known cheaters as well as 'sample games,' ones
    we are certain are not cheaters).

He is, by far, my first choice.

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:08
    This thread is relevant to the discussion as well...

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=18313&page=1

D
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:15
    Originally posted by nemesio
    Although David Tebb is certain a well-qualified person just by virtue
    of his rating, the person who has essentially led this charge is
    Grayeyesofsorrow. He has demonstrated a keen ability in examining
    games; several of his analyses are posted on the 'ForumWars'
    website (both of known cheaters as well as 'sample games,' ones
    we are certain are not cheaters).

He is, by far, my first choice.

Nemesio
    I feel Grayeyes should be getting more votes. He has posted the best info on this subject so far... and he's always willing to do a little more looking if you have doubts about his results.

P+
  12. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:20
    Two of my votes went to David tebb and grayeyesofsorrow. I know enough about these two to know that they will be fair in thier anylisis, without allowing politics or alliances to hinder thier investigations. Two of my choices for third have left the site so......

13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 23:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I feel Grayeyes should be getting more votes. He has posted the best info on this subject so far... and he's always willing to do a little more looking if you have doubts about his results.

P+
    Seconded. he has easily been the best source thus far for expert (so to speak) game analysis. He's the only one in my mind who has really proven himself capable of the job.
  14. Joined
    26 Dec '03
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 00:281 edit
    Its possible that people doubt have the ability to understand 2000+ rated chess, while my RHP rating isnt that high, I do have an OTB rating in excess of 2000. (FIDE 2197 and BCF 179 at the start of the season)

The other reason people might not vote for me (which iv been told by many) is that im shamed for posting in the forums about cheaters. All I can say is that there wasnt much of an alternative.

One of my votes went to Gatecrasher, he did a lot of analysis and reading his posts certainly increased my understanding of chess/engines somewhat.

Im not sure how many people would be on the mods. But three for a community the size of RHP seems quite small.
  15. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 01:52
    Originally posted by mateulose
    I agree, Arrakis is a bad choice, he has proven in the past to be a very biased and an over patriotic player towards his clans and friends. Such mods are a danger to the legitamacy of the cheat police. Yes, Arrakis is very qualified in the field, but then again, so are the broadcasters of FOX news in their field, but they are so biased that the truth never ...[text shortened]... assively distorted. I don't think we want to open up this can of worms in the RHP cheat police.
    Such accusations! I never even knew jameswoodley and was not told about his cheating until AFTER he joined our league team for the 3-day! I was not one to read the forums so hadn't seen any of the messages until AFTER he was on our team. When it was brought to my attention I looked into the matter and eventually posted a game which verified that he did cheat. That's when we kicked him out of the clan and off the team.

I think the real problem at this site is the same we have in my country - we have a bunch of politicians telling lies to the masses.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree