Manifestos from Game Mods

Manifestos from Game Mods

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Look, it's a title!

Run, it's offensive!

Moves
07 Jan 05

Let's look at it like this, I'll allow Arrakis to become a game mod if he ADMITS he made a mistake with JW. Until he fesses up to his mistakes, no way.

d

Moves
07 Jan 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I again bemoan the fact that a thread containing important information has been deleted; this was all covered in the James Woodley thread. Latex Bishop directly stated that he asked Arrakis and
if you read Nemesio's post you'll see that Arrakis admitted in a post on December 7 that he had been informed of the engine use accusations against JW 2 ...[text shortened]... What went on between LB and Arrakis I don't know, but if they want to share they can feel free.
Thanks for your replies, no1.

If Arrakis is chosen, I don't think I will regret voting for him because of his experience and whatnot and, of course, people learn from their mistakes.

But it is undeniable that the whole situation that occurred with JW and the fun clan absolutely STINKS of Conflict of Interest. A huge ethical No-No.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
07 Jan 05
1 edit

Originally posted by mateulose
Let's look at it like this, I'll allow Arrakis to become a game mod if he ADMITS he made a mistake with JW. Until he fesses up to his mistakes, no way.
YOU will allow him? And, err, you are?

Far as I know, someone bought you a subscription to RHP, not RHP itself.

I think Arrakis, being quite new to RHP, and being a clanmate of JW, was thrown into an awkward situation. His critics should put themselves in his shoes. What WOULD they have done, rather than what SHOULD they have done.

He may have misjudged, but I don't see the point in being totally hardnosed about this, the game mods will need the experience that someone like Arrakis can offer. And if I were Russ, I would snap up his offer to help, regardless of all the petty quibbling and nitpicking.

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
07 Jan 05

Rich, the point is that by late November the evidence that James Woodley was an engine user was absolutely overwhelming; I doubt if we'll EVER have such strong evidence against anybody again (nobody will be that stupid; the FW anecdote esp.). If someone was unconvinced of JW's guilt in late November ON THE MERITS then they have no business being ...[text shortened]... a Game Mod for that reason. Under either scenario, Arrakis shouldn't be a game mod in my view.
I agree that "by late November the evidence that James Woodley was an engine user was absolutely overwhelming".
(puts on devil's advocate cap)

However, a reasonable person might have questioned the source of that evidence for the following reasons:

1. Most of the evidence was on the FW site, because of the (unfortunate) gag order on cheating discussions at RHP.

2. The denizens of the FW site have been accused in the past of conspiring against other RHP members.

3. Impostors have posed as RHP members on the FW site in the past.

4. JW had pi**ed off a lot of people with his childish forum antics, so it's not unreasonable to think that some people might want to get him booted by any means possible.

Now I realize that if someone were so inclined, they could go through JW's games and reproduce the analyses done by Grayeyes, but that takes time. I did not look into his games myself, I just accepted what I read on FW as true.

As for the sharp rise in JW's ratings, this clearly needs some sort of explanation. A sharp rating increase could be explained by a number of other scenarios:
A - JW used to be a drug addict and played under the influence, but then he entered into rehab where he spent 8-12 hours/day working through chess problems and studying his games using a large chess library and a huge database of games;
B - JW was struck by lightning and could suddenly see 8 moves ahead;
C - JW was cheating; or
D - [insert other unlikely scenario here].

Don't get me wrong, I thought (and still think) C is the true reason for his rise in ratings, but the rise in ratings alone isn't enough. If someone did not believe what people were saying about JW (and why should anyone believe a bunch of strangers in an online forum?), I can see why they may not have concluded that JW was cheating until they checked for themselves.

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
07 Jan 05

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
YOU will allow him? And, err, you are?

Far as I know, someone bought you a subscription to RHP, not RHP itself.

I think Arrakis, being quite new to RHP, and being a clanmate of JW, was thrown into an awkward situation. His critics should put themselves in his shoes. What WOULD they have done, rather than what SHOULD they have done.

He may ha ...[text shortened]... e Russ, I would snap up his offer to help, regardless of all the petty quibbling and nitpicking.
While I do agree he shouldn't be a mod due to the JW situation experience would be nice to have. My only two wonders are, if he can't spot one of the most obvious recent cases of engine use how will he help the cheat mods? I myself was in JW's clan joined when I came back and didnt notice his rating. When someone mentioned it to me I checked it out, and to my surprise he had been using an engine at which time I immediately left the clan. Now if arrakis was just a regular person in a clan with JW it would be different but we are talking about a person who's big thing is that he used to be a buster on ICC, seems odd to me. Now you could also say maybe he is a good person for the job in which case he knew JW was using an engine and had him put on a league team anyway which to me is the more logical situation. My other thing is the "used to be" part. Anyone wondered why he "used to be" a part of ICC's computer busters? I also want to add that ICC has been known to wrongly call people computer users anyway. But still he "used to be" with them. Wish we had someone else who had computer busting experience, but we seem to not so after some thinking I believe maybe he should be given a chance atleast. This will be the only post I make that will say anything like that concerning this person. Give the guy a chance to show he can get the job done. Though still my votes are with Tebb and grayeyes and gatecrasher.

M

Moves
08 Jan 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Mephisto2
I also believe that it should be made more clear what is expected from the group and its participants before a final choice is made....
... I am not in a position to devote a sustained and substantial amount of time to this.

Since nothing has been clarified yet by the site admins (on the contrary, all recent member postings seem to confirm the heavy-duty aspect of the job), and I don't want people to spend a 'lost' vote, I hereby withdraw my candidacy for the team. This should allow those who voted for me (thanks for the confidence) to recast their vote before the closure of the voting.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
08 Jan 05

Since nothing has been clarified yet by the site admins (on the contrary, all recent member postings seem to confirm the heavy-duty aspect of the job), and I don't want people to spend a 'lost' vote, I hereby withdraw my candidacy for the team. This should allow those who voted for me (thanks for the confidence) to recast their vote before the closure of the voting.

That would be a shame Mephisto, especially as you are one of the top two most eligible candidates, IMO.

I'm sure (in my own head anyway) that the cheat police won't consist of just 3 members, as 1) the work load would be too much and 2) people would have less confidence in a small CP.

When I envisaged the working of the CP, I saw a large group of multiskilled players. Us people with lower ratings, would do a lot of the donkey work, running games through engines, and then we'd present the findings to the committee, where you and other high rated players would contribute the most, using your knowledge and skills to spot engine play.

True, the work load will be large at the start, but after a period of a mass of complaints, I don't see the job of the CP being exceedingly time consuming.

I for one won't withdraw my vote for u, in the hope that u reconsider. I just hope Russ clarifys his vision of the CP asap.

D

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
10 Jan 05

But it doesn't not *not* mean the accusation was true!
Quite so. 😉

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
10 Jan 05

Please don't say that. Though in forth place, I was thinking there would be like 5 mods it would simply be too much work for 3 people and gatecrasher and you are my top two choices fter the other 2 guys, alread voted for gatecrasher and was about to take either my vote for greyes or tebb and put it for you as for some reason people are voting for cheshire cat who has been gone from the site since december 31st but still catching up on you in votes. Please everyone stop taking your votes away from mephisto he has dropped like 3 votes recently, hopefully he will reconsider.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Jan 05

I'd like to withdraw my name from the voting for the cheat police. I am in the process of starting up my own business and won't have time in the coming months to be able to help the CP. Please redistribute your votes elsewhere.

D

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
13 Jan 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I'd like to withdraw my name from the voting for the cheat police. I am in the process of starting up my own business and won't have time in the coming months to be able to help the CP. Please redistribute your votes elsewhere.

D
just been doing some reading of your exploits ... well done!!!

for those who don't know ... it goes like this:

an ironman31 game matched up nearly perfectly to an engine ... obvious inferences were made.
ragnorak to the rescue!!!
ragnorak found that another completely different engine also matched the game!

it seems it was a game where there was just one very good move at each step right the way through ... any very strong player human or engine would play the same.

shame you want to pull out .... but you have already done your part 🙂

G

Moves
13 Jan 05

Originally posted by flexmore
just been doing some reading of your exploits ... well done!!!

for those who don't know ... it goes like this:

an ironman31 game matched up nearly perfectly to an engine ... obvious inferences were made.
ragnorak to the rescue!!!
ragnorak found that another completely different engine also matched the game!

it seems it was a game where there wa ...[text shortened]... e would play the same.

shame you want to pull out .... but you have already done your part 🙂
I think you mean an Ironman31 game picked and posted by ragnorak was shown not to have a high level of match.........and then after more analysis it was.........and then fritz matched most of the moves skipping the intresting one that Junior picked up.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
13 Jan 05

Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
I think you mean an Ironman31 game picked and posted by ragnorak was shown not to have a high level of match.........and then after more analysis it was.........and then fritz matched most of the moves skipping the intresting one that Junior picked up.

i am sure you know a lot more of the fine details than i do ....
so does ragnorak ....
i think you and ragnorak - and a few others - need to keep up the good stuff, mess around a bit more, and tell us some results when you are all done.
🙂

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
27 Jan 08

Originally posted by Arrakis
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give some info about myself:

I am a free lance writer for Chess Life, previous editor of Michigan Chess, and have been writing chess analysis for magazines since 1978. My highest rating at USCF was around 2150 many years ago. After a few years off my rating dropped and I bounce between Class A and Expert.

I was a m ...[text shortened]... this assignment because of this reason. I would appreciate your vote..

Thanks,
Arrakis
The hand of God has righteously guided me to seek the wisdom of arrakis.