Moderating the culture of abuse

Moderating the culture of abuse

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
30 May 19
2 edits

@Very-Rusty

Yes, but the other was removed a day or two later. Of course I had been complaining about those posts for a while before I decided to do the same.

Timeline.

Offensive shav posts. I report them. I start two threads about it. I decide to post like shave. A day or two later I get my posts removed. I question why my posts are removed but shav's remain. A day or two later 's posts are removed.

Moves
31 May 19

@eladar said
@Very-Rusty

Yes, but the other was removed a day or two later. Of course I had been complaining about those posts for a while before I decided to do the same.

Timeline.

Offensive shav posts. I report them. I start two threads about it. I decide to post like shave. A day or two later I get my posts removed. I question why my posts are removed but shav's remain. A day or two later 's posts are removed.
Your own posts were removed more quickly as they were 'alerted' by subscribers who have the option to 'alert' a particular post in a given thread. (An exclamation icon next to the thumbs down icon). Sending site feedback seems to be a much slower way to get the mods attention/action. (Something I experienced myself when I was a non-sub).

This in mind, your timeline should not have been - report, create threads, retaliate in kind, but - report, show patience and restraint, send follow up feedback.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
31 May 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Your own posts were removed more quickly as they were 'alerted' by subscribers who have the option to 'alert' a particular post in a given thread. (An exclamation icon next to the thumbs down icon). Sending site feedback seems to be a much slower way to get the mods attention/action. (Something I experienced myself when I was a non-sub).

This in mind, your timelin ...[text shortened]... eate threads, retaliate in kind, but - report, show patience and restraint, send follow up feedback.
So you are seeing the advantages of being a Paying Subscriber! πŸ˜‰

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
31 May 19

@eladar said
@Very-Rusty

Timeline.

eladar,

We've all had posts removed, or I should say most of us anyway. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get removed, as goad pointed out weekends can be slow in moderation.

What Shav says, is almost normal by now for everyone! πŸ˜‰

-VR

Moves
31 May 19

@very-rusty said
eladar,

We've all had posts removed, or I should say most of us anyway. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get removed, as goad pointed out weekends can be slow in moderation.

What Shav says, is almost normal by now for everyone! πŸ˜‰

-VR
The comments made 'to' Eladar were certainly unacceptable and rightly reported by him and rightly removed. It is never okay (or normal) to makes such comments about another poster's family.

Moves
31 May 19

If you find a post offensive you need to alert it (which is a subscriber-only feature unfortunately).

Unfortunately, I cant go through all the forums myself and read every single post so need help with pointing to a particular thread (this help comes from the alert moderator feature)

If your alerts are going through "send feedback" then that goes straight to site admin and the forum moderation team aren't part of that.

Moves
31 May 19

@forum-moderator said
If you find a post offensive you need to alert it (which is a subscriber-only feature unfortunately).

Unfortunately, I cant go through all the forums myself and read every single post so need help with pointing to a particular thread (this help comes from the alert moderator feature)

If your alerts are going through "send feedback" then that goes straight to site admin and the forum moderation team aren't part of that.
Any reason why 'alerts' are a subscriber-only feature?

Surely we need to be looking out for our non-subscribers, especially if we are wanting them to become subscribers in the future. There of course need to be incentives to subscribe (being able to play in tournaments etc) but I would have thought certain features, like being able to report abuse, is a feature that should be readily available to everybody.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
31 May 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Any reason why 'alerts' are a subscriber-only feature?

Surely we need to be looking out for our non-subscribers, especially if we are wanting them to become subscribers in the future. There of course need to be incentives to subscribe (being able to play in tournaments etc) but I would have thought certain features, like being able to report abuse, is a feature that should be readily available to everybody.
That is a good idea goad!

You should put that up in the "Site Ideas" thread.

-VR

E

Moves
31 May 19
2 edits

@forum-moderator said

So what you are saying is that the site is designed so that you can say anything you want to a non subscriber.

I kind of feel like that wife in the Far Side comic who is adjusting the fake thermostat the husband installed.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
31 May 19
1 edit

@eladar said
So what you are saying is that the site is designed so that you can say anything you want to a non subscriber.

I kind of feel like that wife in the Far Side comic who is adjusting the fake thermostat the husband installed.
Insults of any kind are not really acceptable, but are done on a daily basis.

I think it gets down to how strict do we want things to be?

I agree with goad a man or womans family should be out of bounds and over the line ALWAYS.

I don't know the particular post that was made about your family, I am happy however it has been removed.

There are times that a poster will get a warning along with the removal of the post that they could indeed get a forum ban.

-VR

E

Moves
31 May 19

@Very-Rusty

Seems to me that stopping people from posting a message just to put someone down is a good start.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
01 Jun 19

@eladar said
@Very-Rusty

Seems to me that stopping people from posting a message just to put someone down is a good start.
That would stop a lot of posters from posting on this site!!! πŸ˜‰

I can't see it happening personally.

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
06 Jun 19
1 edit

@eladar said

How do you propose that people be stopped from posting something derogatory? There is already an auto-censor which blocks certain offensive words, but it is quite easy to circumvent. Practically speaking, a post which gets passed the auto-censor can only be flagged by some subscriber and referred to a moderator. Preventing derogatory posts from even appearing is not technically feasible.

E

Moves
06 Jun 19

@moonbus

You pit words in my mouth, I said simply to. Look at many of Suzi's posts and you will see what I am talking about. Just say something derogatory and nothing more.

Moves
06 Jun 19

@eladar said
@moonbus

You pit words in my mouth, I said simply to. Look at many of Suzi's posts and you will see what I am talking about. Just say something derogatory and nothing more.
You need to get your own house in order there chief.

Or are derogatory comments from yourself okay? - Happy to provide examples?