1. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 15:541 edit
    Originally posted by King Scotty
    Thats probably your best post so far - I agree with you totally.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 18:59
    A site idea is not whining, otherwise you would have to change the name of this forum. Maybe this forum should be called "Thinking Outside the Box". Positive people are able to do this and make good ideas into reality. Negative (dysfunctional) people are argumentative and afraid of change!!! P.S. Rav, your personal sub money pays for me to tell you to "GO AWAY". 😀
    So you reckon you are 'Thinking outside the box' with this idea? Rubbish!

Your idea is like saying freeware software demo's shouldn't be distributed by the people who coded them - they should distribute the full version for free instead.

Think of your current none-subscribing status as being that you have downloaded a freeware version of correspondence chess.

By paying the subscription you are buying a licence and thus getting the extra features available, plus contributing to the site's ongoing support and development - get this - because Russ can't run this site on thin air alone!

So if your 'Out of the box' thinking means a reduced service on this site as server loads etc increase without a corresponding increase in revenue then I'm afraid you are more 'Off your box' really.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 19:121 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 19:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 19:29
    If I had all the site features for 30 days, it may be more of a motivation to subscribe. Maybe if the forums were taken away at the same time, I would already be a subscriber???
    I'm posting my idea again for you subs that can't understand. The idea meant to say that if I don't sub after 30 days, my service would be slowly cut off completely(ex.6 mos.). This would eliminate leeching. I didn't expect this sort of problem from subs. 🙄
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    01 Jul '05 19:42
    I'm posting my idea again for you subs that can't understand. The idea meant to say that if I don't sub after 30 days, my service would be slowly cut off completely(ex.6 mos.). This would eliminate leeching. I didn't expect this sort of problem from subs. 🙄
    Still not a good idea however you phrase it.

If every non-subscriber took up the option for just one month (and I personally believe a significant many would), the servers wouldn't cope.

In order to provide the service Russ would have to invest in a more robust server solution and extra bandwidth - this costs money, none of which would be coming from the people using this additional resource!!!

You don't get owt for nowt so why persist with this ridiculous line of reasoning?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 00:23
    Since the 30 day trial is such a hang-up, forget about it and charge $15 / yr. after 6 months to continue the same level of service I have now. A full subscription of $30 / yr. would then unlock all site features. Is this impossible?
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 18:54
    Since the 30 day trial is such a hang-up, forget about it and charge $15 / yr. after 6 months to continue the same level of service I have now. A full subscription of $30 / yr. would then unlock all site features. Is this impossible?
    Nothing is impossible.

To get it straight.. what you are asking for is free upto 6 games, no clans etc for 6 months, then $15 for a rolling 6 months after that, then $30 to open up clans, recs, alerts, touries, sieges etc... correct me if I misunderstand your post.

If so, a better idea - maybe worth a new thread as this one relates to a different idea.

Question though: Would you be prepared to pay for the same level of service you get now, and if so why that and not be prepared to subscribe?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 19:46
    Originally posted by rhb
    correct me if I misunderstand your post.
    If so, a better idea - maybe worth a new thread as this one relates to a different idea.
    Question though: Would you be prepared to pay for the same level of service you get now, and if so why that and not be prepared to subscribe?[/b]
    I started this thread by leaving a few blanks in the original idea so that other people could brainstorm and add something constructive. The problem I have is not enough time to put a subscription to full use. If I could have 20 games and tournaments(for ex.) at $15/yr., I would be able to support the site and get better value for my money. This idea may eliminate the apparent war between subs and nonsubs. I've heard that nonsubs bring advert. money to the site for every hit? If this is true, maybe nonsubs should be allowed to continue with no change in service. However, I would be prepared to pay the first $15 towards a new level of service.😉
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 20:11
    The problem I have is not enough time to put a subscription to full use.
    That's complete BS!

You've made over 5,600 moves in 7 months. With a 6 game limit. Assuming you only spend 2 minutes on each move (very conservative I think), then that's 11,200 minutes spent playing here in 7 months, or 26 hours, each and every month that u spend playing on here. Assuming that you only sleep 8 hours a night, then u spend roughly (and this is still only assuming 2 minutes thinking time per move) 5% of your waking life on here.

And you're saying that an hour a day, for a year, of entertainment isn't worth a measely $29.99?

Let me put it another way. Lets say you spend your 26 hours a month going to the movies instead of entertaining yourself with RHP. That's approximately 1 movie every 2 days. So for 1 year, and assuming cinema ticket prices are $10, the equivalent amount of entertainment would cost you approximately, $1,825.

Just admit that you're a cheapskate and move on.

D
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 20:45
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That's complete BS!

You've made over 5,600 moves in 7 months. With a 6 game limit. Assuming you only spend 2 minutes on each move (very conservative I think), then that's 11,200 minutes spent playing here in 7 months, or 26 hours, each and every month that u spend playing on here. Assuming that you only sleep 8 hours a night, then u spend roughly ( ...[text shortened]... would cost you approximately, $1,825.

Just admit that you're a cheapskate and move on.

D
    Your post is the best example of long-winded, negative drivel that I've seen in a long time. Put your other foot in your mouth until you can think of something constructive.
  12. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 21:01
    Your post is the best example of long-winded, negative drivel that I've seen in a long time. Put your other foot in your mouth until you can think of something constructive.
    Heres something constructive: Pay up or shut up.

I like the fact that this site offers the most basic features for free. But all you are doing is driving a wedge between those who support this excellent site financially, and those who don't.

I'm leaning towards making the forums (with the exception of "help"😉 read only for nonsubscribers.

You are simply amplifying the case that argues that non-subscribers get more than need from this site already

After all we are talking about $30 - that amount is available to almost all Canadians with access to a pc.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 21:14
    Originally posted by invigorate
    [b]Heres something constructive: Pay up or shut up.
    You want me to pay full price so that your sub fee doesn't go up based on your usage.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 21:19
    You want me to pay full price so that your sub fee doesn't go up based on your usage.
    Well actually I think ivangrace wants you to do one of two things. Pay the subscription fee. Or stop talking.

Personally I'd be happiest if you did both. However if you are doing just one do the second one.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 21:49
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Are you changing your nickname all the time because of an identity crisis?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree