1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '22 09:46
    Venda made a suggestion in another thread:
    I am not interested in the thumb system in any shape or form.
    My only suggestion would be a facility to mask them on my profile so I don't even have to see them.

I can support this.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 10:36
    The only semblance of an "argument" for having anonymous thumbs that has been made so far is this:

"The ONLY way right now to avoid the endless inquisition is to thumb anonymously."

That's the justification on the table.

Now, let's consider the proposal.

How would the alleged "endless inquisitions" be avoided or prevented if the alleged inquisitors had opted out of seeing the thumbs?
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '22 11:13
    @fmf said
    The only semblance of an "argument" for having anonymous thumbs that has been made so far is this:

"The ONLY way right now to avoid the endless inquisition is to thumb anonymously."

That's the justification on the table.

Now, let's consider the proposal.

How would the alleged "endless inquisitions" be avoided or prevented if the alleged inquisitors had opted out of seeing the thumbs?
    If you don't see the thumbs, it is easier not to care.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 11:27
    @ponderable said
    If you don't see the thumbs, it is easier not to care.
    First, I don't care, as it happens, about me personally getting red thumbs.

Second, my suggestion to the website is to get rid of the clickbait-toy-for-children feature because it strikes me as being a clickbait toy for children, so to speak.

Third, you haven't really addressed my point despite using "Quote" to respond to what I said.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 May '22 13:35
    The primary people complaining about "thumbs" feedback, are trolls and a-holes.

They prefer a system where their deliberate provocations suffer exactly ZERO consequences: Believing that everyone else has as much time on their hands.

The thumbs system is an efficient measure of feedback for those with little time to post responses.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 14:53
    @woofwoof said
    The primary people complaining about "thumbs" feedback, are trolls and a-holes.
    I am neither a troll nor an "a-hole" [thanks for your exquisite banter] and yet I think that anonymous thumbs are an infantile site feature. What do you think of the Venda-Ponderable idea whereby people can just opt out of seeing the thumbs up and thumbs down?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '22 16:17
    @fmf said
    I am neither a troll nor an "a-hole" [thanks for your exquisite banter] and yet I think that anonymous thumbs are an infantile site feature. What do you think of the Venda-Ponderable idea whereby people can just opt out of seeing the thumbs up and thumbs down?
    As I've always said: I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. 🙂

-VR
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 May '22 18:41
    @fmf said
    Sure, if "opting-out" would make you feel better.

Venda's motives are pure: I believe he's honestly annoyed by thumbs.
  9. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '22 19:18
    @fmf said
    First, I don't care, as it happens, about me personally getting red thumbs.
    So why do you bring up the topic again and again then?

The toy-theory is wafer-thin.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '22 23:18
    @ponderable said

The toy-theory is wafer-thin.
    Like some people’s skin.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 23:20
    @ponderable said
    So why do you bring up the topic again and again then?
    Because it's a good idea.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 23:22
    @woofwoof said
    Venda's motives are pure: I believe he's honestly annoyed by thumbs.
    Aren't your motives and my motives pure too?
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 May '22 00:02
    @fmf said
    Aren't your motives and my motives pure too?
    No, yours is not pure.

You're trying to curb public disdain for your brand through intimidation.

You think that everyone should be required to publicly reveal disliking you and your posts while hoping that this might cease them from doing so.

You're free to publicly extrude all of the condescending garbage that you want.

I am free to privately thumb it up or down.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 04:01
    @woofwoof said
    You're free to publicly extrude all of the condescending garbage that you want.
    If you feel inferior to me, so be it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 04:09
    @woofwoof said
    You think that everyone should be required to publicly reveal disliking you and your posts while hoping that this might cease them from doing so.
    I don't think there is any secret about who dislikes me; do you think there is? The red thumbs make no difference to me or how I post.

I'd be surprised if anyone was affected - in terms of how they post - by red thumbs. They'd be juvenile if they did let it affect them.

Which, in my book, makes the thumbing facility an infantile site feature. How is a mechanism for registering secret indications of "disliking" someone on a website for adults anything other than infantile?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree