1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:08
    @very-rusty said
    In my humble opinion your reasons are weak.
    I disagree.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:10
    @very-rusty said
    8 votes don't make the majority vote of posters fmf.
    Let's hope the website now gets rid of thumbs.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:11
    @fmf said
    Anyway, the results of your poll are in. Those interested in this topic have had their say.
    Fewer people care about this than I expected (I did not cast a vote, btw). But those few appear to care a lot about it. It seems a curious issue to take issue with. Much less significant than, for example, the drumming out of Duchess a while back.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:17
    @moonbus said
    Fewer people care about this than I expected (I did not cast a vote, btw). But those few appear to care a lot about it. It seems a curious issue to take issue with. Much less significant than, for example, the drumming out of Duchess a while back.
    I don't recall Duchess64 being "drummed out".
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:552 edits
    @fmf said
    Let's hope the website now gets rid of thumbs.
    Actually I now see the value in keeping them, less people like you going after people who disagree with them by giving a thumbs down.

When I disagree with you strongly, you will know about it.

-VR
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '22 16:58
    @fmf said
    You must have a poor memory or just selective one. 🙂

-VR
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 May '22 17:02
    @fmf said
    Ejected from the site. Banned. Stricken from the rolls. She is an ex-Duchess.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 17:06
    @moonbus said
    Ejected from the site. Banned. Stricken from the rolls. She is an ex-Duchess.
    What does someone being banned from the site have to do with the matter at hand?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 May '22 19:351 edit
    @ponderable said
    Venda made a suggestion in another thread:
    I am not interested in the thumb system in any shape or form.
    My only suggestion would be a facility to mask them on my profile so I don't even have to see them.

I can support this.
    If people don't like the idea of others saying or doing anything to or about them,
    we could always mask posters, topics, and boards; those are better options than
    having someone get tired of the grief and leave. A hateful person may soon find
    that no one is seeing their posts anymore and change their behavior, but they
    would not be causing others to choose to leave here. The point is to be an inviting
    place; why bother coming if someone makes it unbearable? Something will change;
    if it is not a good place, it would be better to fix it by design instead of as an exit
    the site by choice.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 May '22 21:07
    @fmf said
    What does someone being banned from the site have to do with the matter at hand?
    It concerned more people than whether the thumbs feature should be re-coded or removed from the site altogether.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '22 21:32
    I prefer the recommendations instead of thumbs (that’s showing how long I’ve been around on here!)
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:59
    @silverstriker said
    I prefer the recommendations instead of thumbs (that’s showing how long I’ve been around on here!)
    I liked the recommendations, but we must move with the times. The Thumbs give those who don't like confrontation a chance to do so by a sign thumb up or down.

-VR
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 01:43
    @moonbus said
    It concerned more people than whether the thumbs feature should be re-coded or removed from the site altogether.
    You believe Duchess64 was banned from the website because of the thumbs feature?
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 May '22 05:461 edit
    @fmf said
    You believe Duchess64 was banned from the website because of the thumbs feature?
    No, of course not. I'm saying more people took an interest in Duchess's removal from the site than seem to care about whether thumbs get removed from the site. I expected at least ten people to cast votes in the straw poll I put up; in the event, only 8 did. However, as another thread has since revealed, at least one person would change his vote if the poll were run again and some others who have an opinion on the matter did not know about the poll.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:35
    @silverstriker said
    Me also, the thumbing function is largely just abused for the purpose of enflaming normal levels of conflict. However this still happened with recommendations but at least recs were all positive! I feel that thumbing function is a blight on the forums often making normal levels of conflict in discussion impossible to maintain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree