1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 May '22 08:47
    @fmf said
    Regular posters get anonymously thumbed down by childish posters all the time... who then defend the mechanism because they like how infantile it let's them be.
    And the ongoing fmf/divegeester tantrum against anonymous thumbs is adult-like?

Ooops...I just thumbed down a post.
    And there goes another one.
    And another one...

So much for anonymity.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 May '22 14:441 edit
    @fmf said
    Regular posters get anonymously thumbed down by childish posters all the time... who then defend the mechanism because they like how infantile it let's them be.
    Do you think by calling posters who thumb down posts specifically yours childish, doesn't in the end get you more thumbs down by saying that?

Perhaps stop using words like infantile to describe people posting?

-VR
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 May '22 21:311 edit
    @fmf said
    But doesn't a situation [where the recipients of red thumbs cannot see them] completely undermine the argument that the purpose of anonymous red thumbs is to send a signal to those who receive them?
    No. Thumbs serve the same purpose as ‘hear, hear’ or ‘nonsense’ murmured from the back benches, where those in front benches hear what was said but do not see or need to see who said it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 04:35
    @woofwoof said
    And the ongoing fmf/divegeester tantrum against anonymous thumbs is adult-like?

Ooops...I just thumbed down a post.
    And there goes another one.
    And another one...

So much for anonymity.
    I made six measured observations on the previous page that are still there. If all you intend to do is dismiss them all as a "tantrum", then that is your prerogative.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 04:39
    @very-rusty said
    Do you think by calling posters who thumb down posts specifically yours childish, doesn't in the end get you more thumbs down by saying that?
    I don't care about the anonymous thumbs down I am getting because it's an infantile feature that marrs the site.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 04:44
    @moonbus said
    Thumbs serve the same purpose as ‘hear, hear’ or ‘nonsense’ murmured from the back benches, where those in front benches hear what was said but do not see or need to see who said it.
    I don't think a system where people could leave little anonymous audio files with them booing or saying hear hear would be a good idea either.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 May '22 05:381 edit
    @fmf said
    I don't care about the anonymous thumbs down I am getting because it's an infantile feature that marrs the site.
    So as one of the very adults who watch the infants play their infantile games: What exactly would be better if the infants got one of their infantile toys taken awayß?

Will they grew more responsible?

They won't.
    So if we lose the red thumb (I my self rarely use the feature) I want the limitation of alarming posts to fall. (I never used all three, but I did alert posts and they were removed in the past).
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 07:131 edit
    @ponderable said
    So as one of the very adults who watch the infants play their infantile games: What exactly would be better if the infants got one of their infantile toys taken awayß?

Will they grew more responsible?
    I have no idea whether people who signal their animosity and/or disapproval anonymously would "grow" in any way if they they only had the means to communicate openly and in a form that they'd then take personal responsibility for.

Do you think their character development is any of your or my business?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 07:24
    @ponderable said
    So if we lose the red thumb (I my self rarely use the feature) I want the limitation of alarming posts to fall. (I never used all three, but I did alert posts and they were removed in the past).
    You should start a thread about it. I see red thumbs and alerts as different things.

Red thumbs are a kind of largely meaningless posturing - that some people want to keep secret wheras alerts are requests to remove material from view.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 May '22 08:371 edit
    @fmf said
    a) Thumbs are not infantile. That's just your opinion on the matter, not an objective fact about them. Plenty of adults here use them.

b) RHP does not bear comparison with TikTok (which is adolescent, not infantile). Plenty of other sites for grown-ups have a similar (like/dislike) feature.

c) Even if thumbs were infantile, that is not a reason to eliminate them from the site.

d) If you don't care about thumbs, then pipe down. Your interest is hardly the general weal of this site; if it were, you'd be on about something which really does degrade this site (such as engine cheaters and how to detect them).
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 08:41
    @moonbus said
    a) Thumbs are not infantile. That's just your opinion on the matter, not an objective fact about them. Plenty of adults here use them.
    Yes, it's my opinion. And yes, people over the age of 18 use them.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 08:43
    @moonbus said
    b) RHP does not bear comparison with TikTok (which is adolescent, not infantile). Plenty of other sites for grown-ups have a similar (like/dislike) feature.
    The anonymous thumbs-down feature is, in my opinion, infantile regardless of whether grown-ups use them. I am not sure whose opinion you want me to express about this other than my own.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 08:44
    @moonbus said
    c) Even if thumbs were infantile, that is not a reason to eliminate them from the site.
    I disagree.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 08:46
    @moonbus said
    d) If you don't care about thumbs, then pipe down. Your interest is hardly the general weal of this site; if it were, you'd be on about something which really does degrade this site (such as engine cheaters and how to detect them).
    Pipe down?

I'll leave the "engine cheaters" issue to people with a serious interest in chess.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '22 10:47
    @shallow-blue said
    True - the issue is with you not being able to ignore thumbs.
    No, it isn’t.

But I can see you achieved your aim with that remark.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree