1. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 17:52
    The current system is being childishly abused to the extent that it has become a negative aspect of this site. I don't feel that we should do away with it completely because when it works it does serve a very good purpose here.

What I propose is that we set a limit on the number of recommendations a subscriber may make in one month, and my initial suggestion is that this limit should be no more than 10.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 18:56
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    The current system is being childishly abused to the extent that it has become a negative aspect of this site. I don't feel that we should do away with it completely because when it works it does serve a very good purpose here.

What I propose is that we set a limit on the number of recommendations a subscriber may make in one month, and my initial suggestion is that this limit should be no more than 10.
    Totally agree to that.

Basically the rec system is good. But it is abused and therefore not working as intended. Ten a month seems to be enough.

After testing this new rule, the Hopscotch rule, for half a year and then evaluate, we know if it's working properly.

A good idea. Rec to that.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 18:57

Ten per month? I haven't read ten worthy posts in all the years that I've been reading these forums.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 18:57

It's really too bad. I have seen concrete evidence of one clan whose few members repeatedly recs each other's inane posts in the hopes that they will annoy other forumers and convince others that the recommendation system is detrimental to the site. Back-ASS-wards. The thing that really bothers me is that the reason for their blatant abuse is predicated on lies and ridiculous assumptions propogated by the manipulative clan leader.
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 19:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    It's really too bad. I have seen concrete evidence of one clan whose few members repeatedly recs each other's inane posts in the hopes that they will annoy other forumers and convince others that the recommendation system is detrimental to the site. Back-ASS-wards. The thing that really bothers me is that the reason for their blatant abuse is predicated on lies and ridiculous assumptions propogated by the manipulative clan leader.
    Darvlay, would it be considered unethical to post links to image screenshots of a clan's private forums where they discuss such things as conspiring to recommend each other's posts to annoy other forum users and to basically ruin the rec system?
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 19:48
    Darvlay, would it be considered unethical to post links to image screenshots of a clan's private forums where they discuss such things as conspiring to recommend each other's posts to annoy other forum users and to basically ruin the rec system?
    Travelling around the world, I've noticed that ethics like this can be very region orientated. I found that Canadians would have no ethical problems with the above action. Chinese, however, would have severe issues with the ethics of this type of action.

It really depends, and there is no right or wrong answer, IMHO.

D
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:021 edit
    I think it would be. Hypothetically.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:071 edit

I agree too. So much so, I will add this limitation ASAP.

-Russ

edit: I was just this close to ripping out the entire rec system.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:09
    Hypothetically, would it be unethical for a Canadian to mate with a chinaman?
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:10
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Hypothetically, would it be unethical for a Canadian to mate with a chinaman?
    My Mother is Irish.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:11
    My Mother is Irish.
    It was a hypothetical.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:12
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It was a hypothetical.
    Of course, how sirry of me.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:18
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
    Great. Any chance you could also place a ban on posts, whose only content is "recced" or a derivative of this?

; D
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:19
    I need you to tell the truth.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:20
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ

edit: I was just this close to ripping out the entire rec system.
    Are these 'roll-over' recs, so if we only give 8 we have 12 left to give the next month? Can we have a rec-count in our profile telling how many we have left to give out?

When I go on a shooting spree I like to know how many bullets I have in the clip.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree