1. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:10
    Should be AUTOMATIC...with a 12 hour grace period to allow for time zone differences...and the vacation days as a buffer, of course. That's it, plain and simple.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:22
    Originally posted by LEUR
    Should be AUTOMATIC...with a 12 hour grace period to allow for time zone differences...and the vacation days as a buffer, of course. That's it, plain and simple.
    Perhaps there could be a notice (PM) sent to the offender when an automatic timeout takes effect. I like your idea. It takes the pressure off those who don't take skulls because they're "too nice".
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:24
    Automatic -what about when players come to an agreement between themselves not to take the skull(s) because they know they cannot play for a while like in hospital or been sent on a course or something by their employer?
    In any case, 12hrs is way too short.
    The 2 days in tournaments is probably abourt right.
    Sorry Martin- not with you on this one.
  4. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:27
    Originally posted by venda
    Automatic -what about when players come to an agreement between themselves not to take the skull(s) because they know they cannot play for a while like in hospital or been sent on a course or something by their employer?
    In any case, 12hrs is way too short.
    The 2 days in tournaments is probably abourt right.
    Sorry Martin- not with you on this one.
    That's perfectly okay...I think this is an issue worthy of a dialogue.
  5. Kansas City area, MO
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:30
    Sorry - disagree with you on this one.
    It seems like your idea is for those that want to appear to be 'nice' yet let the system be 'mean' in enforcing the rule.
    The system currently allows for the flexibility of not stomping the skull if you feel so inclined, and it's easy enough to click a skull if you want to.
    How the offender feels about it is really their problem, as it's all within the rules.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:491 edit
    Should be AUTOMATIC.
    FIX'D

Actually, I support users having the option of auto-skulling.

I think for tournaments and clan matches, the timeouts should be automatic to prevent one game from holding up the whole event for too long.

Would anyone here be interested in auto-skull capability? I can provide it to Chrome or Firefox users with the TamperMonkey (Chrome) or GreaseMonkey (Firefox) extensions.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 15:52
    Originally posted by oradbaforpsoft
    Sorry - disagree with you on this one.
    It seems like your idea is for those that want to appear to be 'nice' yet let the system be 'mean' in enforcing the rule.
    The system currently allows for the flexibility of not stomping the skull if you feel so inclined, and it's easy enough to click a skull if you want to.
    How the offender feels about it is really their problem, as it's all within the rules.
    NEVER - not once - have I had anyone on chess.com complain when they lost to me by timeout.

At RHP, I get that all the time. It's pathetic. This is not how serious players operate. We all enforce time controls, no questions asked, no explanations offered.
  8. Joined
    17 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 16:38
    That would be a good option. We all know the rules. If there is a genuine reason why a player can't move - work commitments - then they should message their opponent and agree a period of grace. However, if it's just laziness or disinterest, then why should one player hold up another. Personally, I dislike games where a player seems to play once every 3 days and that's it, because it's within the time controls. Games become drawn out and lose whatever edge they may have. I take skulls if no agreement or message has been sent to me - isn't that why we have the vacation option.
  9. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:35
    Only vacations because mine starts at 7 pm, (EST), but no on regular the games.

Harri / Luck
  10. Standard membermarc56
    writer and editor
    Forlì
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:42
    It's not my opinion. Time-out only for tournaments, as it is now already. If two players agree not take skulls in their games which is the problem?
    Holiday options are not always useful. For instance in my area I have problems with the telephone lines from october, due to some works. Sometimes I have the line and other times I don't have it. I can't take a holiday period since I never know when it is going to happen. It may happens more times in a day, then it works for three days and the fourth it doesn't work... I try to move where I have less time but I can't prevent to exhaust my time in any games; if I find some "nice" players I am glad of it...
  11. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 18:56
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Perhaps there could be a notice (PM) sent to the offender when an automatic timeout takes effect. I like your idea. It takes the pressure off those who don't take skulls because they're "too nice".
    12 hours grace...no one gets that over the board...when time is up it should ALWAYS be game over...within the second later..

maybe have no time outs for unrated games, which only involves 2 people and does not hold up tournaments or ladder games...

those moaning about not having enough time...simple answer dont enter 1/0 games...plenty of 21/28....if you cant make 1 move in 3 weeks plus 28 days grace...then i think you have more impotant things in life to worry about
  12. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    03 Feb '14 22:08
    Automatic works for me.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 13:32
    automatic - exception: "friendly games" I want to have the oportunity to end a game with a friend.
  14. Joined
    09 May '11
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 07:02
    I always take skulls, and have never had anyone on RHP complain about it.
  15. Joined
    09 May '11
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 07:03
    I currently have a tourney game where the timeout should have occurred by now and it hasn't. Wonder what's holding it up. The guy is out of time. I want to take the win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree