Vacation Status - Move Rule  Proposal

Vacation Status - Move Rule Proposal

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
29 May 07

hmmm.... talk about missing the point. how interesting. i wonder if our medications are balanced.

DS

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
What are you so worried about? Non subs don't play clan or tournament games anyway. I guess this is where you point out that I am. Well, RHP is good enough to allow me to finish out my games after my sub ends, so I'm willing to play my important games with a wee handicap.

Casual Open Invite games aren't in the least bit important. I don't understand ...[text shortened]... an opponent to come back from vacation, then just resign the game, and start another.

D
If you are happy on a non level playing field, good luck to you.
I also am not too worried as I no longer play subscribers unless I know they are not using the vacation advantage timebank extender©.
It won't prevent me from pointing out the unfairness of the system though.

F

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
It won't prevent me from pointing out the unfairness of the system though.
Please do! We all agree that the present vacation system is not fair if someone wants to abuse it.
This thread is all about how to make a vacation system better.
My proposal is a vacation system with 'sealed moves'.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 May 07

If you are happy on a non level playing field, good luck to you.
I also am not too worried as I no longer play subscribers unless I know they are not using the [b]vacation advantage timebank extender
©.
It won't prevent me from pointing out the unfairness of the system though.[/b]
You're the type of guy who'd go into a pool hall and not put any money into the lights (play for free), and then complain to management that the people playing on the other tables have an unfair advantage because they have lights on their tables.

🙄

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Please do! We all agree that the present vacation system is not fair if someone wants to abuse it.
This thread is all about how to make a vacation system better.
My proposal is a vacation system with 'sealed moves'.
How does someone abuse the system? If they move while on vacation, then they are still using up their vacation allowance. They aren't slowing down tournaments (which both you and coquette are looking to do with your suggestions), and if you feel that your opponent is getting an unfair advantage by avoiding the possibility of T/O, then you have the option to also use up some of your vacation allowance.

As far as I can see, what you're referring to is vacation use, not abuse.

My 2 cents on the new vacation system is that it is simply too long. Reduced to 20 odd days, and I think it would be near perfect.

D

F

Moves
30 May 07
1 edit

How does someone abuse the system? If they move while on vacation, then they are still using up their vacation allowance. They aren't slowing down tournaments (which both you and coquette are looking to do with your suggestions), and if you feel that your opponent is getting an unfair advantage by avoiding the possibility of T/O, then you have the option hat it is simply too long. Reduced to 20 odd days, and I think it would be near perfect.

D
Well, I think the present vacation system has its flaws.
I think the concept of 'sealed moves' removes these kind of flaws.
And furthermore, it doesn't introduce new flaws.
Sealed moves are used very well OTB, it can be used here as well.

I'm not discussing slow tournaments, I'm not discussing time outs. I'm discussing the present vacation system, and a proposal of a better one. This is what I'm discussing.

I don't think I should abuse any system, only because others do it, just to make it more fair. If a vacation system can be abused, then it also will be abused. My proposal is a try to hinder the abuse in the first place.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Well, I think the present vacation system has its flaws.
I think the concept of 'sealed moves' removes these kind of flaws.
And furthermore, it doesn't introduce new flaws.

My proposal is a try to hinder the abuse in the first place.
The only thing that your proposal would achieve would be the slowing of tournaments/League games. Why? Because if I go away on holiday and manage to get an hour of free time, with your system I wouldn't be able to make any moves because I am set to be on vacation. Currently, I can't take off the vacation either. So, even though I would like to make moves while on vacation, and so prevent the tournie being slowed too much, I can't.

Again, where you use abuse, I would prefer to use the word, use

Turning on your vacation flag if you think you're not going to be able to move before being T/O'd isn't abuse.

D

F

Moves
30 May 07

The only thing that your proposal would achieve would be the slowing of tournaments/League games. Why? Because if I go away on holiday and manage to get an hour of free time, with your system I wouldn't be able to make any moves because I am set to be on vacation. Currently, I can't take off the vacation either. So, even though I would like to make moves ...[text shortened]... flag if you think you're not going to be able to move before being T/O'd isn't abuse.

D
Some use the vacations system in a way that is wasn't meant to be used, I call this 'abuse'. Some use the vacation system in the way it really was meant, this we agree that we should use the term 'use'. But this is somewhat besides the point. I see your view and respect it.

In the current vacation system, you can go on vacation in a whole number of days, not a part of days. In a extension of my proposal of 'sealed moves', it would be nice to go on vacation whenever you want, and go off vacation whenever you want. Perhaps is best that it is not bookable at all.

In this case you set the vacation flag, and from then on you get no new moves to concider. The times ticks for every game you've not responded to. When you are on vacation, swimming in a pool somewhere, and want to temporary take a break from your vacation, you just reset your vacation flags, and you get all the moves that is currently sealed. You raise your vacation flag again, make your moves and go back to your swimming pool.

Bottom line, you can still play during your vacation. The tournaments needn't get much longer to play than the present vacation system.

DS

Moves
30 May 07

You're the type of guy who'd go into a pool hall and not put any money into the lights (play for free), and then complain to management that the people playing on the other tables have an unfair advantage because they have lights on their tables.

🙄

D
Wrong!
Only if they expected me to play against them without lights while they had lights. I don't care what happens on other tables if the other players are happy with their "lighting".
Hope that clears that up for you.
You're welcome.
😏

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 May 07
2 edits

Wrong!
Only if they expected me to play against them without lights while they had lights.
So if your opponent wanted to pay for lighting, but you wanted to play for free, ie: no lighting, you think you'd have a valid complaint to the owners of the pool hall, because of the uneven playing field? 🙄

D

DS

Moves
30 May 07
4 edits

So if your opponent wanted to pay for lighting, but you wanted to play for free, ie: no lighting, you think you'd have a valid complaint to the owners of the pool hall, because of the uneven playing field? 🙄

D
Yes!
If I had no advance warning. Which, in this Vacation System I do not.

Furthermore:
It's more like going into a pool hall and,in the middle of a game,my opponent decides to leave for an extended dinner break while I am not allowed to leave for lunch myself.
We shouldn't have to pay just to get a FAIR game.
That wasn't mentioned in the ads.

There should be a 'no vacations rule' for any game that a non sub is involved in, even against subscribers. That would not affect tournaments or clan stuff.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 May 07
1 edit

Yes!
Especially if I had no advance warning. Which, in this Vacation System I do not.

Furthermore:
Anyway it's more like going into a pool hall and in the middle of a game,my opponent decides to leave for an extended dinner break while I am not allowed to leave for lunch myself.
We shouldn't have to pay just to get a FAIR game.
That wasn't me is involved in, even against subscribers. That would not affect tournaments or clan stuff.
Why do you need to go eat dinner like the paying guy? If you don't want to buy a meal, go outside and get some fresh air, that's free too, just like your pool game.

I do think "No Vacation Games" are a good idea... but for paying customers only.

P-

DS

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Why do you need to go eat dinner like the paying guy? If you don't want to buy a meal, go outside and get some fresh air, that's free too, just like your pool game.

P-
Yeah right - for 30 days!!!!!!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 May 07

Yeah right - for 30 days!!!!!!
"But I want more for nothing!!!"

:'(

DS

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
"But I want more for nothing!!!"

:'(
I don't want more - I want a fair game of chess that's all. Which I get now with my selective opponent policy. I am just pointing out the absurd unfairness inherent in this system. Surely you can see that?

NB. I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING EXTRA.