Vacation Status - Move Rule  Proposal

Vacation Status - Move Rule Proposal

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
01 Jun 07

Originally posted by coquette
Just when I think I'm out, they suck me back in!

Okay. My suggestion was totally lame. It would have the opposite effect than I suggested. It would do more harm than good. Play would get slower rather than longer. Absolutely. There is no point to changing.

😛😉😲
Cokie, Cokie, Cokie.
Do not allow these bald headed geeks to upset you.
They are just jealous of your magnificant Red locks.😲

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
01 Jun 07

Originally posted by smw6869
Cokie, Cokie, Cokie.
Do not allow these bald headed geeks to upset you.
They are just jealous of your magnificant Red locks.😲
oh my! there ARE gentlemen in here after all!!!! 😵

d

Moves
02 Jun 07

As the majority in the thread seem to agree with the original poster, I wanted to register my vote for the opposite view. I have moved while on vacation several times. I really was on vacation (so no abuse, I think) and as a result I was only able to get on to the internet occasionally, so I couldn't keep up with my games. But I could play a few moves, which stopped my timebank depleting, and kept the game going for some of my opponents. I can't see the harm in that, and I can see a benefit, for both players.

I think a much better solution, as proposed several times, would be to have an option to play games/tourneys which either do or don't allow vacations. Vacation seems to be very contentious. Some of us wouldn't be able to participate without it, and are happy to wait (CC is not a game for the impatient, after all) others find it terribly frustrating, especially non-subs because of their game limit. You'll never please everyone with a single solution.

But I don't think this is as urgent a priority as conditional moves.

DS

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by d36366
You'll never please everyone with a single solution.
You could easily please everyone by making it optional.

Check this box - allow vacations
Check this box - disallow vacations.

d

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
You could easily please everyone by making it optional.

Check this box - allow vacations
Check this box - disallow vacations.
That's what I was suggesting.

Although you put it more succinctly.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Well, I think the present vacation system has its flaws.
I think the concept of 'sealed moves' removes these kind of flaws.
And furthermore, it doesn't introduce new flaws.
Sealed moves are used very well OTB, it can be used here as well.
And you've thought about this extensively?

And you can find absolutely no flaw (beyond the ones which you correct later after they were pointed out) with the sealed move system of vacation?

D

F

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
And you've thought about this extensively?

And you can find absolutely no flaw (beyond the ones which you correct later after they were pointed out) with the sealed move system of vacation?

D
No, I can't find any flaw in the concept of Sealed Moves. If it is implemented properly as described, there is no flaw.

You know - sealed move is not an invention by me. It has been used a long time already, with great success, I might add.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Jun 07

No, I can't find any flaw in the concept of Sealed Moves. If it is implemented properly as described, there is no flaw.

You know - sealed move is not an invention by me. It has been used a long time already, with great success, I might add.
As you stated before, this concept of Sealed Moves is already used OTB with great success. I guess we don't need to discuss the fact that OTB and correspondence chess are practically very different.

To recap your idea...
Fab:"In a extension of my proposal of 'sealed moves', it would be nice to go on vacation whenever you want, and go off vacation whenever you want. Perhaps is best that it is not bookable at all.

In this case you set the vacation flag, and from then on you get no new moves to concider. The times ticks for every game you've not responded to. When you are on vacation, swimming in a pool somewhere, and want to temporary take a break from your vacation, you just reset your vacation flags, and you get all the moves that is currently sealed. You raise your vacation flag again, make your moves and go back to your swimming pool. "

Q: "If I want to make a move or two while on vacation?"
Fab:"Just interupt you vacation for a minute and the sealed moves are unsealed. Do your moves and go back to vacation again and enjoy your beer again! "

Fab:"By turning the vacation flag off you will get all sealed moves delivered. Then you can continue to play your games. When you turn the vacation flag on again, then you don't get your opponents moves. However, the games you have not answered will have the clock ticking until you've made your move. "
----
So, if I've gotten the proposal you want to see accurately implemented right, then I can see a lot of flaws.

1. Once I've put my vacation flag on, I need to get my game load down to zero before I can go to the antartic for 2 weeks, or the clock keeps ticking on the games where I haven't moved. This is putting unfair pressure on players who keep high game loads. Is the site going to have to tell players like User 96179 that they have they get their "games waiting" count down to 0 before their holiday starts? The user might have to go on "vacation" 2 weeks before they were actually due to travel, and thus really slowing down the games in which he has already moved (and so the replies are sealed until he returns from holiday in 1 month)

2. While on vacation, I might find I have an hour to make a couple of moves. I take off my vacation flag, and suddenly I receive 50 sealed moves. I can't go on vacation from all games until I make 50 moves. There is no distinction between the games where I am having difficulty finding a plan to those in which I am easily finishing off a won game. Again, you're making life difficult for the vacationer (remembering that this stress on your holiday is due to a fun internet chess site).

3. A hurricane is heading straight for my house. Just in case, I want to set my vacation flag due to the weather forecast. I find that with a hurricane approaching, if I wanted to get "Timeout Immunity" from a fun internet chess site, I'd have to move in 379 waiting games. So as well as losing my house, I'm also going to lose games that I have spent months working on. Now, I know the two aren't comparable, but wouldn't it be nice if our hurricane victim could make the odd unpressured move while he rebuilds his house. Surely it'd be a nice way of destressing.
----
If you're going to sell this utopian idea of a perfect vacation system, then you need to make sure that you have ironed out all the little details, and that the owners of the site won't be causing stress for customers who need an "Immunity from Timeout" for whatever reason (personal tragedy/ act of god/ holiday).

At the moment, our vacation system allows people to take an immediate vacation from RHP for whatever reason without them having to give a second thought to the site. They are then free to use a limited amount of "Timeout Immunity" as they wish, even if this is making moves in their less stressful, less demanding games.

D

F

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
As you stated before, this concept of Sealed Moves is already used OTB with great success. I guess we don't need to discuss the fact that OTB and correspondence chess are practically very different.

To recap your idea...
Fab:"In a extension of my proposal of 'sealed moves', it would be nice to go on vacation whenever you want, and go off vacation whene ...[text shortened]... ng moves in their less stressful, less demanding games.

D
Yes, I am selling this idea, and it is not so utopian.

The implementation of the concept of Sealed Moves is a matter for the RHP staff, not me.

I don't seriously think that hurricanes, and other disasters, like death, should be taken into consideration by the Vacation system, do you? Really? 🙂

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Jun 07

The implementation of [b]the concept of Sealed Moves
is a matter for the RHP staff, not me.

I don't seriously think that hurricanes, and other disasters, like death, should be taken into consideration by the Vacation system, do you? Really? 🙂[/b]
You are selling a flawless vacation system which is unfair on nobody. read some of your posts on it.
"Well, I think the present vacation system has its flaws.
I think the concept of 'sealed moves' removes these kind of flaws.
And furthermore, it doesn't introduce new flaws. "

You also say that if the RHP staff implement the system exactly as you have specified, then it is flawless.
"No, I can't find any flaw in the concept of Sealed Moves. If it is implemented properly as described, there is no flaw."

You can't just sell a flawless system, and then when a number of serious problems are pointed out, say that the implementation is for the staff. Please refrain from selling your idea as flawless until you have responded to the points I have raised above.

Personal matters (like family deaths/illness/loss of home) shouldn't be taken into consideration for the vacation system? You have got to be joking me!

You want to implement a system which is really unfair on people who really need time off NOW, because you and a couple of others consider use of the current system to be abuse. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in here.

D

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
27 Jun 07
2 edits

The implementation of [b]the concept of Sealed Moves
is a matter for the RHP staff, not me.

I don't seriously think that hurricanes, and other disasters, like death, should be taken into consideration by the Vacation system, do you? Really? 🙂[/b]
Your ideas about making users make ALL their moves before vacationing is ridiculous.

Now if the sealed moves were done using the current rules (clocks keep going, but you can't get timed out) then sealed moves are fine. I don't know when or why you added all those lame stipulations about making all your moves first, but it's a really bad idea.

Seems some people want to turn this into a punishment system because they don't understand vacation is a brief break from being timed out in your games.

P-

F

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Your ideas about making users make ALL their moves before vacationing is ridiculous.

Now if the sealed moves were done using the current rules (clocks keep going, but you can't get timed out) then sealed moves are fine. I don't know when or why you added all those lame stipulations about making all your moves first, but it's a really bad idea.

Seems ...[text shortened]... they don't understand vacation is a brief break from being timed out in your games.

P-
It's not up to me to implement the concept of Sealed Move, I can't garantuee that it will be flawless. The concept is, however, flawless. It is used OTB, I've never heard any complaints.

However, I heard a lot of complains about the present vacation system. And I am convinced that there will not be a lot of complaints after the concept of Sealed Moves are implemented.

Of course, you don't have to like it, no one is forcing you to like it, no one. The only one that I am interested to like the system is Russ and Chris. If they like it and are going to implement the proposed concept, I'm happy. I am not unhappy if they don't. That's the concept of proposals.

I feel some people feels threatened by the concept of Sealed Moves, I can't imaging why...? 😛

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
27 Jun 07

It's not up to me to implement the concept of Sealed Move, I can't garantuee that it will be flawless. The concept is, however, flawless. It is used OTB, I've never heard any complaints.

However, I heard a lot of complains about the present vacation system. And I am convinced that there will not be a lot of complaints after the concept of Sealed Moves ...[text shortened]... some people feels threatened by the concept of Sealed Moves, I can't imaging why...? 😛
OTB = 1 game

Correspondence = Several games.

I don't mind the games coming in sealed, but your idea of making all your moves first is ridiculous. I almost had to book a flight to Florida because my father is ill... having me make all my moves first is stupid if I've got to blast out of here for an undetermined amount of time.

P-

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Jun 07

However, I heard a lot of complains about the present vacation system. And I am convinced that there will not be a lot of complaints after the concept of Sealed Moves ...[text shortened]... some people feels threatened by the concept of Sealed Moves, I can't imaging why...? 😛
The concept is, however, flawless. It is used OTB, I've never heard any complaints.

You haven't really thought about this at all, have you? In OTB, you are taking part in 1 game, in correspondence you might be taking part in 1,000.

I feel some people feels threatened by the concept of Sealed Moves, I can't imaging why...? 😛

Instead of bringing ridiculous emotions in here, why not deal with the issues brought up above? Also, why do you think that illness/death within the family shouldn't be taken into account?

Is your proposal solely trying to punish vacation "abusers", or are you really trying to provide a good, fair vacation system?

D

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

However, I heard a lot of complains about the present vacation system. And I am convinced that there will not be a lot of complaints after the concept of Sealed Moves are implemented.
What proportion of site users are complaining?

What proportion of site forum users are complaining?

Where is the substance to your conviction that there will not be a lot of complaints after sealed moves are implemented?

I'm convinced there won't be lots of complaints if you can give answers to the above.