1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 May '10 21:592 edits
    Originally posted by drdon
    Sure the challenge can be accepted. That is the case now. Therefore there is absolutely no need for the red. or any other coloured flag. If the difference between players is as obvious as you indicate. the issue is is a dead duck.

We do not need a vote on this issue. The acceptance or challenges is up to clan leaders now. Why do we need a flag? To rescue le e so dim as to need a flag to tell them that a player is playing 350 below their normal rating!
    The acceptance or challenges is up to clan leaders now. Why do we need a flag? To rescue leaders from stupidity? People shouldn't be clan leaders if they are so dim as to need a flag to tell them that a player is playing 350 below their normal rating!

Just because some clan leader is unethical and tries and slip a sandbagger by me does not me I'm stupid or dim. It means some a hole is trying to screw me and my clan mates. And RHP needs to do everything in it's power to stop them or my money is going some where else. RHP has doe a great job so far in exposing this kind of behavior. But it's clear they need to make another step in clan challenges. CompredA?
  2. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    27 May '10 11:121 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]The acceptance or challenges is up to clan leaders now. Why do we need a flag? To rescue leaders from stupidity? People shouldn't be clan leaders if they are so dim as to need a flag to tell them that a player is playing 350 below their normal rating!

Just because some clan leader is unethical and tries and slip a sandbagger by me does not me d of behavior. But it's clear they need to make another step in clan challenges. CompredA?[/b]
    If you as a clan leader can pick these sharp practises up, the need for the change you are suggest is not at all clear, unless there is something you are not mentioning about the diligence of your leadership. Did you slip up? Did some "hole" put one over you?

The petulant threat to take your money elsewhere if you don't get your way entirely up to you of course, but I'm positive the owners of this fine site or any of the thousands of its members will be less than impressed with this " I'll take my bat and ball and go home if I don't get my way" attitude. We'll all be sorry to see you go.

Bye!
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    27 May '10 12:373 edits
    If you as a clan leader can pick these sharp practises up, the need for the change you are suggest is not at all clear, unless there is something you are not mentioning about the diligence of your leadership. Did you slip up? Did some "hole" put one over you?

The petulant threat to take your money elsewhere if you don't get your way entirely up to you of c and go home if I don't get my way" attitude. We'll all be sorry to see you go.

Bye!
    The idea seems to be clear to everyone but you so far.
    And this is not about me getting my way or I'm stomping off somewhere else. RHP is a business. And people will leave if not satisfied with the service. And this forum is for site ideas to help improve the site.
    I'm up for any suggestions to stop this sandbagging behavior on this site. This idea may not be the way to solve the problem. Maybe there's a better way. I don't know. I'm up for suggestions. RHP has done everything in it's power to stop sandbagging behavior. And this is a great chess site.
    As with the tournament entry rating. RHP has dealt with the sandbagging issue for tournaments.
    I'm saying I think another step needs to be taken for clans. And it seems several agree. And exposing sandbaggers, or just someone whose rating is way lower at the moment with a flag or something else seems to be a good idea to everyone but you so far.
    It's you that has the better than everyone attitude. You come in here and say everyone else is stupid or a idiot if they think this idea is a good one. And again I say you're the only one who has posted so far that is against it. And your only argument is
    " if clan leaders need this their stupid or a idiot or not a good clan leader." Well you're the only one with this thought so far.
    And my clan leading record is just fine. If you want to check our stats we're on page two of clans.

Good day.
  4. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    27 May '10 23:15
    The idea seems to be clear to everyone but you so far.
    And this is not about me getting my way or I'm stomping off somewhere else. RHP is a business. And people will leave if not satisfied with the service. And this forum is for site ideas to help improve the site.
    I'm up for any suggestions to stop this sandbagging behavior on this site. This ...[text shortened]... st fine. If you want to check our stats we're on page two of clans.

Good day.
    You appear to have seriously misquoted me in a couple of places here. Please stick to the facts.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    27 May '10 23:282 edits
    You appear to have seriously misquoted me in a couple of places here. Please stick to the facts.
    Why do we need a flag? To rescue leaders from stupidity? People shouldn't be clan leaders if they are so dim as to need a flag to tell them that a player is playing 350 below their normal rating!

Seriously?
  6. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    27 May '10 23:48
    [b]Why do we need a flag? To rescue leaders from stupidity? People shouldn't be clan leaders if they are so dim as to need a flag to tell them that a player is playing 350 below their normal rating!

Seriously?[/b]
    I don't mind you repeating this!! Thanks!! My point is obviously that we do not need superfluous flag.

I suggest that a far better idea ...an idea that may not be misunderstood as a sign that somebody (a "hole" to use eloquent your term) may be attempting to cheat is to display the TER instead of the players' current rating on the preview challenge screen). This was suggested in another forum and has real merit. It's not a fool proof measure but is perhaps a fairer indicator of strength over time and has no stigma or suggestion of cheating attached.
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 May '10 01:101 edit
    I don't mind you repeating this!! Thanks!! My point is obviously that we do not need superfluous flag.

I suggest that a far better idea ...an idea that may not be misunderstood as a sign that somebody (a "hole" to use eloquent your term) may be attempting to cheat is to display the TER instead of the players' current rating on the preview challenge screen). airer indicator of strength over time and has no stigma or suggestion of cheating attached.
    TER ?? do you mean tournament entry rating?
  8. Subscribermy2sons
    Retired
    Missouri
    Moves
    28 May '10 01:21

I suggest that a far better idea ...an idea that may not be misunderstood as a sign that somebody (a "hole" to use eloquent your term) may be attempting to cheat is to display the TER instead of the players' current rating on the preview challenge screen). ...[text shortened]... airer indicator of strength over time and has no stigma or suggestion of cheating attached.
    Using the TER for clan challenges would certainly be an imporvement over the current system. However, I still believe the flag is a better idea.

Case in point, one sandbagger has a high rating in the 1900's but a current and TER in the 1500's. There are many other examples where the TER does not reflect prior demonstrated chess playing abilities.

But like I said using the TER is better than nothing.

my2sons
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 May '10 02:212 edits
    Originally posted by my2sons
    Using the TER for clan challenges would certainly be an imporvement over the current system. However, I still believe the flag is a better idea.

Case in point, one sandbagger has a high rating in the 1900's but a current and TER in the 1500's. There are many other examples where the TER does not reflect prior demonstrated chess playing abilities.

But like I said using the TER is better than nothing.

my2sons
    I agree. I think the TER could be unfair to some also. My TER is 1820 right now. My true chess abilities or rating as a player is not 1820. Maybe 1600 to 1700 . I had a lucky streak a little under a year ago and hit 1867. I reached that high by beating 1600 rated players and under. Most 1820 rated players would kill me. Hardly fair for our clan for I having to be matched with 1800 rated players all year in our clan matches even tho my rating has dropped to near 1600 since my lucky streak.

But the TER is better than the system that's in place now. I still think the flag is a better idea at 350.
  10. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    28 May '10 03:51
    Agreed! Any other options that should be aired?
  11. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    28 May '10 11:33
    I agree. I think the TER could be unfair to some also. My TER is 1820 right now. My true chess abilities or rating as a player is not 1820. Maybe 1600 to 1700 . I had a lucky streak a little under a year ago and hit 1867. I reached that high by beating 1600 rated players and under. Most 1820 rated players would kill me. Hardly fair for our clan ...[text shortened]... s better than the system that's in place now. I still think the flag is a better idea at 350.
    Let me just toss this into the mix. Rather than have a fixed number of 350 as the sandbagging indicator, what if 350 was the default value but clan leaders had the ability to adjust that figure up or down based on their own preference?

For example, Clan X leader says that he'd rather see the sandbag flag at 200 points rather than 350, he has the option to edit the level at which the red flag shows up. I'm thinking that a clan master might use this to check the match-ups he's offering, too, not just for incoming challenges. The possibility exists that a clan master might be offering a mismatch without really intending to, but the flag would catch it. This could easily happen in a larger clan with people coming and going all the time. I know the common wisdom is that mismatches are always intentional, but I don't believe that's always the case.

If the clan leader could tweak his own sandbag flag level, he might use that to adjust the 'yield' if you will on where his players need to be to get the optimal results in clan matches. They might win 55% at 200 and 58% at 150, for example. Could be an interesting tool for clan masters who chose to use it that way.

Worthwhile addition?
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 May '10 11:502 edits
    Originally posted by sbacat
    Let me just toss this into the mix. Rather than have a fixed number of 350 as the sandbagging indicator, what if 350 was the default value but clan leaders had the ability to adjust that figure up or down based on their own preference?

For example, Clan X leader says that he'd rather see the sandbag flag at 200 points rather than 350, he has the option to n interesting tool for clan masters who chose to use it that way.

Worthwhile addition?
    I like 350 as a default value. I think that's a good idea. Even might be better than the flag. This way clan leaders won't be so quick to reject a challenge just because they see a red flag or two in a match sent to them. But then again your taking away the power of a clan leader to accept a clan challenge even if the gap is above 350.

I see possible problems with clan leaders being able to control the default value for their clan. What happens if I challenge a clan whose default value is real low? If I'm trying to challenge a clan what happens when I'm trying to match players when their default value is low and won't let me match certain players??
  13. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    28 May '10 12:24
    I like 350 as a default value. I think that's a good idea. Even might be better than the flag. This way clan leaders won't be so quick to reject a challenge just because they see a red flag or two in a match sent to them. But then again your taking away the power of a clan leader to accept a clan challenge even if the gap is above 350.

I see po ...[text shortened]... g to match players when their default value is low and won't let me match certain players??
    Sorry, I didn't explain it correctly. You see flags based on what you've set as your threshold, not what other clans set as their threshold.

When you look at your challenges, the flags that you see as red are based on what you set as your sandbag level. If it's 350, then that's what you see.

Clan X leader says, you know what, I think 350 is too generous of a gap, I want to see a red flag if the difference is 200 points. He changes that setting and then all of the clan challenges he sees have red flag based on the 200 point difference. You'd never see red flags based on his preference change. If you leave your sandbag threshold at the default of 350, then you see red flags based on that. But if you think some sandbagging is still sneaking in, you could adjust that number down to a lower level until you were satisfied that the flag value was accurately getting you a better quality match-up.

Does that make more sense? Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes it makes sense in my head but I don't provide sufficient detail. 😛
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 May '10 12:301 edit
    Originally posted by sbacat
    Sorry, I didn't explain it correctly. You see flags based on what you've set as your threshold, not what other clans set as their threshold.

When you look at your challenges, the flags that you see as red are based on what you set as your sandbag level. If it's 350, then that's what you see.

Clan X leader says, you know what, I think 350 is too generous e confusion. Sometimes it makes sense in my head but I don't provide sufficient detail. 😛
    Yes, Now I see what you're saying. I think this is a very good idea. If possible.
  15. Subscribermy2sons
    Retired
    Missouri
    Moves
    28 May '10 13:48
    Yes, Now I see what you're saying. I think this is a very good idea. If possible.
    It is a good idea. What is the next step?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree