Where's the censors?

Where's the censors?

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
18 May 06

I am wondering about those rules on restricting forum content. It seems that nobody really means what they are saying! For example, some users of this site use it like a sex site. They also have no resevations about using profanity(otherwise known as cussing) even though the site has rules against it. I suggest that the Red Hot Pawn staff fix this annoying problem before they start losing players, buisness, and money. I already know of one player who quit using this site. So, please remedy the situation for those of us who don't like it. Thank you.
Yours in Chess,
Shoskavitch

E
YNWA

Moves
18 May 06
1 edit

IMO it's very inconsistent - there have been a few times when I've complained about a disgusting post only for it to linger around for days. Maybe someone on the moderation team can help explain the whole process?

Edit: I meant to add it's inconsistent as sometimes they do do a good job.

E

Swansea

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
IMO it's very inconsistent - there have been a few times when I've complained about a disgusting post only for it to linger around for days. Maybe someone on the moderation team can help explain the whole process?

Edit: I meant to add it's inconsistent as sometimes they do do a good job.
Yeh I know you made a remark in the thread that was put up about me yesterday about it and im very grateful for that 🙂 it then got deleted after been up for about an hour but still, it wasnt nice to see that someone had gone out of their way to make a thread telling people to ignore me and also message me profanities. I have sent feedback on that but he is yet to be banned from the site. Hoping he will soon though 🙂

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
18 May 06

There is Robo mod which randomly deletes profane posts, then a group of volunteers who act as moderators to review alerted posts, unless a post gets 5 alerts in which case Robomod kicks in.

Anyways, these volunteers do their best, but can't be expected to spend all their free time modding the forums.

You've obviously not spent a great deal of time on other forums, as this is fairly tame as far as I see it.

I don't see why profanity in the forums should be a reason to quit the site? People seem to be forgetting that the forums are actually a secondary feature of what is primarily a correspondence chess site.

These forums are intended to foster some spirit of community, comparable to the club house of a sport / hobby club - i.e. somewhere to kick back and relax between moves. If you don't like the 'clubhouse', stick to your games and PM's with your buddies and opponents.

A general rule of thumb if you should choose to remain in the forums, if you don't like it either ignore it or alert it. Whilst you're at it, give some props out to those volunteers who are giving their valuable time in helping to keep the forums tidy.

E
YNWA

Moves
18 May 06

Thanks for the info rhb - props out to the volunteers indeed. 🙂

t

my island

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by rhb
unless a post gets 5 alerts in which case Robomod kicks in
so if 5 people complained about a post that had nothing in it the robomod would take it away?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by trevor33
so if 5 people complained about a post that had nothing in it the robomod would take it away?
rhb actually meant to say n there, not 5.

D

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
19 May 06

If you are a sub, please take the time to alert all content you find offensive (but not just content you disagree with)

Alerted content will be cleaned up automatically if enough people object.

-Russ

E

Swansea

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by Russ
If you are a sub, please take the time to alert all content you find offensive (but not just content you disagree with)

Alerted content will be cleaned up automatically if enough people object.

-Russ
Thanks for letting us know Russ, any plans on banning unstopable yet? Ive sent feedback, tuesday that was, understand if you're busy. 🙂

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
rhb actually meant to say [b]n there, not 5.

D[/b]
Did I?

Hmmmm.... maybe I did. Typo.

Stupid keyboard designers putting '5' next to 'n'.

😞

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by rhb
Did I?

Hmmmm.... maybe I did. Typo.

Stupid keyboard designers putting '5' next to 'n'.

😞
The number required varies depending on what RoboMod rated the post. For example anything containing a swearword (that RoboMod let be posted) will only require 1 alert to get it removed.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The number required varies depending on what RoboMod rated the post. For example anything containing a swearword (that RoboMod let be posted) will only require 1 alert to get it removed.
Really?

crap

E

Swansea

Moves
21 May 06

Originally posted by expressiveoutburst
Thanks for letting us know Russ, any plans on banning unstopable yet? Ive sent feedback, tuesday that was, understand if you're busy. 🙂
Still nothing on this one getting removed yet.......

s

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
how do you "report" it??

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by sum1
how do you "report" it??
You don't. Subscribers do.