1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 11:56
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I said no such thing. You misrepresented me."

Then what do you mean by "behind licking"? Did you mean it in a good way, like it's a good thing to do?

No you didn't! You meant it in a derogatory way. In a way that's meant to belittle and malign the character of the one you said it about, and you did it without provocation.[/b]
    You said
    "Why do you feel the need to make it a character flaw to say something polite to someone for doing a good thing? '

I have said no such thing.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 12:102 edits
    Then what do you mean by "behind licking"? Did you mean it in a good way, like it's a good thing to do?

No you didn't! You meant it in a derogatory way. In a way that's meant to belittle and malign the character of the one you said it about, and you did it without provocation.
    Is that a bit like cowardly using a biblical scripture to call someone and enemy of God?
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 01:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you don't mind me asking, do you celebrate the birthdays of your children?
    (Ecclesiastes 7:1) A good name is better than good oil, and the day of death is better than the day of birth.
    There is no reason to celebrate the day of one's birth.
    We have nothing to do with our birth, i.e. we cannot conceive ourselves.
    We do have a lot to do with our state (especially our spiritual estate) when we die.
    Still we can't celebrate our death ahead of time, can we?
    We do celebrate anniversaries btw.
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 01:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What I would genuinely like to understand and am asking you for third time, but you are avoiding answering for some reason is this...is the celebration of birthdays not considered in the same way blood transfusions are; I.e. a matter of personal conscience?
    Just to satisfy your morbid curiosity (if it is curioisty), we follow the Bible's guidance on both of these events.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 02:40
    Originally posted by roigam
    Anniversaries of what?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 02:45
    (Ecclesiastes 7:1) A good name is better than good oil, and the day of death is better than the day of birth.
    There is no reason to celebrate the day of one's birth.
    We have nothing to do with our birth, i.e. we cannot conceive ourselves.
    We do have a lot to do with our state (especially our spiritual estate) when we die.
    Still we can't celebrate our death ahead of time, can we?
    How do you get being forbidden to celebrate birthdays from... "A good name is better than good oil, and the day of death is better than the day of birth."? Is there some verse elsewhere in the Bible that actually gives you guidance about not celebrating the anniversary of someone's birth?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 05:531 edit
    Just to satisfy your morbid curiosity (if it is curioisty), we follow the Bible's guidance on both of these events.
    You and Robbie carrobie are the masters of the cop-out. Why won't either of you answer the question?

...is the celebration of birthdays not considered in the same way blood transfusions are; I.e. a matter of personal conscience?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 05:571 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anniversaries of what?
    Roigam is probably the the only Jehovah's witness I've ever met, who while posting nice Biblical verses, actually says virtually nothing about what Jehovah's Witness or he believes on a topic. It's all a bit bland.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 06:10
    Is that how you see it? Since when is it "behind licking" to pay a compliment or acknowledge one's achievement?

Why do you feel the need to make it a character flaw to say something polite to someone for doing a good thing?
    Thanks for lending a note of civility to "15th Birthday Wishes to Red Hot Pawn".
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 06:11
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    1. Yes

2. When it's to the owner of an internet chess site.

3. I don't. Why do you find the need to put words into people's mouths?
    Flawed logic.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 06:14
    Publicly speaking, I don't care how anyone "interprets" what my motive is for commending an individual's achievement.

If one wants to call it "a$$ licking" that's their prerogative. I could care less.

What I do care about is the lack of virtue on the part of the one that has such a pessimistic view of life that they should judge an individual as motivated by the need to kiss ass simply because that one would congratulate another for a good work.
    Yes: "a good work." without which we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 06:182 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Then perhaps they should be in a PM rather than on public forum.๐Ÿ˜‰
    You haven't the faintest clue as to the communications which have occurred regarding
    "15th Birthday Wishes to Red Hot Pawn".
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 06:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    You haven't the faintest clue as to the communications which have occurred regarding
    "15th Birthday Wishes to Red Hot Pawn".
    Have you been secretly messaging "Russ"? ๐Ÿ™„
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 07:36
    “If you forget your manners, you can always borrow mine. I won't be using them.”
    โ€•Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 11:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    On Sunday, February 21, 2016, Red Hot Pawn will celebrate its fifteenth birthday:

"Date difference from Feb 21, 2001 to Feb 21, 2016
    This is equal to 15 years. This does not include the end date, so it's accurate if you're measuring your age in days, or the total days between the start and end date. But if you want the duration of an even ...[text shortened]... com/dates/

Comments: Your 15th Birthday Wishes to Red Hot Pawn?
    Happy Birthday to Russ from Red Hot Pawn

"There is no ice cream, no cake, no presents to be had
    just a silent birthday wish for my Dad
    Happy Birthday to my Father
    there are no candles, no flowers not on this day nor this hour
    just a teary-eyed birthday wish for my Father
    Happy Birthday to my Dad
    there are no noise makers, or streamers
    just a room with one dreamer, one unhappy lad
    with a tear in my eye and a song in my heart a simple birthday wish for my dad."

"Happy Birthday Dad" (Poem by Jim Milks)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree