5000 woman from the UK converted to Islam last year

5000 woman from the UK converted to Islam last year

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Post rapture, of course. All that follows will be marked the Tribulation, up to the Battle of Armageddon, when Christ returns and binds Satan to the abyss for a millenium.

During the Tribulation, there will be a major increase in the numbers of Christians as never seen before. Many of these will be Jews. So many, in fact, that it proves a hindrance to ...[text shortened]... ietal degradation of Christianity, despite a widespread belief we are entering the Last Days.
Yes... even as the 'days of the evil one's desperation draw nigh'.

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
Casteism started weakening hundreds of years ago and died out in independent India.
I strongly beg to differ. Maybe you need to travel around your own country a bit to open up your eyes.

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Show me as many as you like, it won't prove your point. I can show you even more from the Bible, or the British law books. You are judging people based on their religion but haven't shown that the religion is responsible for the behaviour you are claiming.
It proves my point, whether you want to accept it is another question. And i never judged anyone based on their religion i questioned the decision of a few to convert to a certain religion. That's not judging people, that's called trying to figure out what goes on inside the human mind.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by Trev33
It proves my point, whether you want to accept it is another question. And i never judged anyone based on their religion i questioned the decision of a few to convert to a certain religion. That's not judging people, that's called trying to figure out what goes on inside the human mind.
You judged Muslims as being violent and judged Islaam as causing violence. Apparently your only justification is examples of violence in some countries where the majority of people are Muslim, and some quotes from the Quran.
What you have not shown in the slightest is that women who convert to Islam in the UK are likely to suffer from violence as a result of their religion or as a result of leaving that religion.
What goes on inside the human mind is very complicated, but I am sure that most people who convert do Islam have a lot more important things to consider than the cultures in Muslim countries and whether or not certain verses encourage violence towards women.

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by twhitehead

You judged Muslims as being violent and judged Islaam as causing violence.

I didn't judge all Muslims as being violent. I said Islam has a history, recent and past of mistreatment of woman, that's a fact. Look it up for yourself if you need further proof.

Apparently your only justification is examples of violence in some countries where the majority of people are Muslim, and some quotes from the Quran.

Apparently you either don't read what i write or view links that i have given or are just stirring it for the hell of it here. I hope the latter. All individual cases that i've provided links for were from the UK. I can give you more examples if you want but i doubt it will change your stance which seems to be stuck in ignorance.
I can also give you more quotes from the Qur'an to support the mistreatment of woman within Islam but i doubt that will do anything either.

What you have not shown in the slightest is that women who convert to Islam in the UK are likely to suffer from violence as a result of their religion or as a result of leaving that religion.

I don't know if you'll ever suffer from violence for converting to Islam or indeed if they choose to convert back to whatever, i never claimed to know, i said some possibilities but no can can know for certain. My point which you have clearly completely missed or just don't want to see to blindly fit whatever view you have of this thread questioned the womans decision of converting to Islam not because of any concerns to their safety but given the numerous examples of mistreatment of woman in the name of Islam in many countries, including the UK.

What goes on inside the human mind is very complicated, but I am sure that most people who convert do Islam have a lot more important things to consider than the cultures in Muslim countries and whether or not certain verses encourage violence towards women.

I have not once mentioned 'Muslim countries' in this thread, what goes on in 'Muslim countries' also happens in the UK. But it doesn't matter in which country, the fact remains Islam does nothing to prevent the mistreatment of woman in the name of Islam, you could argue that it promotes it.

I have nothing more against Islam than i have against Christianity, i'm sure both have their good points but i'm not here to pick out their good points. I'm here to question the desire of 3100 or 5000 woman who decided to convert to Islam last year dispute the factual mistreatment of woman within Islam.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by Trev33
I didn't judge all Muslims as being violent. I said Islam has a history, recent and past of mistreatment of woman, that's a fact. Look it up for yourself if you need further proof.
By saying "Islam has a history" when the history is of individual Muslims, you are, in fact, judging all Muslims.
The UK has a history of being violent. Look it up, there is a violent man in Britain right now!

Apparently you either don't read what i write or view links that i have given or are just stirring it for the hell of it here. I hope the latter. All individual cases that i've provided links for were from the UK.
And where did the people in question come from? What culture did they have?

I can give you more examples if you want but i doubt it will change your stance which seems to be stuck in ignorance.
Of course not. Examples don't prove a generality.

I can also give you more quotes from the Qur'an to support the mistreatment of woman within Islam but i doubt that will do anything either.
Again, I can give you examples from the Bible and the British law books too. That is not in dispute, so you would be wasting your time. It is the conclusions you draw that are disputed.

I don't know if you'll ever suffer from violence for converting to Islam or indeed if they choose to convert back to whatever, i never claimed to know, i said some possibilities but no can can know for certain. My point which you have clearly completely missed or just don't want to see to blindly fit whatever view you have of this thread questioned the womans decision of converting to Islam not because of any concerns to their safety but given the numerous examples of mistreatment of woman in the name of Islam in many countries, including the UK.
If you were considering taking up British citizenship, would you choose not to be British because of Britain's well known history of mistreating people in the past? Would you choose not to be British because they tortured terrorist suspects?
My point is that unless there is a clear direct risk of injury, it is highly unlikely to be a major concern of converts how many cases of violent Muslims are on the record books.

the fact remains Islam does nothing to prevent the mistreatment of woman in the name of Islam,
Now that is a claim you have not supported and would be unable to support because it is obviously untrue.

I have nothing more against Islam than i have against Christianity,
You clearly do. You show little or no concern about the number of converts to Christianity.

I'm here to question the desire of 3100 or 5000 woman who decided to convert to Islam last year dispute the factual mistreatment of woman within Islam.
Except you have failed to show any such factual mistreatment unless by that you mean 'mistreatment by Muslims' in which case I can point out 'mistreatment by Christians', or even 'mistreatment by atheists'.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
29 Oct 11
1 edit

twhitehead

The spirit of your argument is rational and deserves to be faced head on and debated honestly.

But for you to suggest that the treatment of women in Islamic culture is no different than the treatment of women in Christian culture or any other culture, is utterly and completely absurd. You don't seriously believe any educated person is going to fall for that, do you?

Cape Town

Moves
29 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sumydid
But for you to suggest that the treatment of women in Islamic culture is no different than the treatment of women in Christian culture or any other culture, is utterly and completely absurd. You don't seriously believe any educated person is going to fall for that, do you?
Actually I don't seriously believe that such a thing as 'Islamic culture' or 'Christian culture' exists. Do you?
I do know for a fact that some Christian women in Zambia are not treated very nicely, and the few Muslims I know here in Cape Town, treat their wives very nicely.

Houston, Texas

Moves
08 Nov 11

Isn't Islam the fasting growing religion in the world, and dwarfs Christianity? I could google it I guess.

Moves
08 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by moon1969
Isn't Islam the fasting growing religion in the world, and dwarfs Christianity? I could google it I guess.
From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Four largest religions:___Adherents________% of world population____
___Article[circular reference]
World population:______6.96 billion
Christianity:___________2.1 billion – 2.2 billion____33% – 34%_____________Christianity
Islam:_______________1.5 billion – 1.6 billion_____22% – 23%_____________Islam

Buddhism:____________0.5 billion – 1.9 billion______7% – 29%_____________Buddhism
Hinduism: ____________1.0 billion – 1.1 billion_____15.2% – 16.2%__________Hinduism
Total:________________5.1 billion – 6.8 billion_____77% – 99%

EDIT: formating
These numbers need to be taken with a large pinch of salt, along with their rather large stated margins of error.
However it shows Christianity as not, in fact, being dwarfed by Islam... Much as fox news might claim otherwise.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Nov 11
3 edits

Originally posted by googlefudge
[b]
Four largest religions:....Adherents % of world population
Article[circular reference]
World population: 6.96 billion Figures taken from individual articles:
Christianity: 2.1 billion – 2.2 bi ...[text shortened]... % – 16.2% Hinduism
Total 5.1 billion – 6.8 billion 77% – 99%
The population just hit 7billion.

To say that 77%- 99% of the total population of the world is religiuos like that is absurd. This figure takes into account billions of children and atheists. We might as well throw that statistic out and look out the window instead.

Moves
08 Nov 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
The population just hit 7billion.

To say that 77%- 99% of the total population of the world is religiuos like that is absurd. This figure takes into account millions of children and atheists. We might as well throw that statistic out and look out the window instead.
The population hit 7 billion plus minus a hundred million or so.

I agree that children shouldn't be counted, and that atheism is significantly under reported,
Especially in highly theistic societies where atheists get discriminated against and/or persecuted,
like in bible belt USA for example.
However for simply answering the question as to whether followers of Islam vastly outnumber
Christians I thought it was suitably indicative.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 11

[b]
Four largest religions:___Adherents________% of world population____
___Article[circular reference]
World population:______6.96 billion
Christianity:___________2.1 billion – 2.2 billion____33% – 34%_____________Christianity ...[text shortened]... Christianity as not, in fact, being dwarfed by Islam... Much as fox news might claim otherwise.
HalleluYah !!!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Nov 11

The population hit 7 billion plus minus a hundred million or so.

I agree that children shouldn't be counted, and that atheism is significantly under reported,
Especially in highly theistic societies where atheists get discriminated against and/or persecuted,
like in bible belt USA for example.
However for simply answering the question as to whether followers of Islam vastly outnumber
Christians I thought it was suitably indicative.
Oh, yes. It does make your point.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
HalleluYah !!!
It's not a race.