1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:26
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Do you have to belong to a church to call yourself a Christian?
    Yes. If a Christian is someone who believes the Bible is the Word of God, then a Christian must belong to a church. Christians are the church - the church is defined by the "body of believers." So being a Christian automatically makes one a member of the church.

But which church organization is another issue. It depends on what the "church" teaches - it's doctrine. If it teaches that Jesus was a not the Son of God - then I'd say those people are not Christians - they deny the clear teaching of the Bible. If they deny the Bible is God's Word - then they are not my definition of Christian.

All believers are part of the invisible church. They belong to the church that is defined as all true believers in Christ. And all true believers are compelled to have fellowship and union with other true believers. So we have the visible church - which are organized churches like your local Baptist or Presbyterian churches.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:31
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So, can an "atheist" call him/herself an atheist if he/she actually believes deep down in his/her heart that a God does exist?
    Did I ever mention that you're a complete idiot? Well it's true. I would wager that you are, without a doubt, the stupidest person on this entire planet. That's a lot of people, dj2becker. 6 billion or so, and you come out as the dumbest one out of the whole lot.

Now, the question is: Is that just random chance? Or did god purposely design you to be the stupidest one?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:39
    Originally posted by Coletti
    If a Christian is someone who believes the Bible is the Word of God, then a Christian must belong to a church. .
    That's precisely what's being debated here--whether a Christian must accept all 66 books to qualify as such.
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:46
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So, can an "atheist" call him/herself an atheist if he/she actually believes deep down in his/her heart that a God does exist?
    I assume you are asking is an atheist really an atheist if he believes deep down that God exists. But I suppose he may call himself anything he wants no matter what he really believes.

Technically, all people believe in the existence of God, even though many deny Him. So technically speaking, there are no atheists. But for the sake of argument, or conversation, we can say that some people claim they do not believe in the existence of God - and we call those people atheists.

Atheist may argue they really truly do NOT believe in the existence of God. And I claim that they have deceived themselves and God has made himself known to them. But I wouldn't press the point beyond that since it just gets them all upset. I think it's a little scary for them - it's like they now have permission to believe in God - and they don't want to let go of something they work so hard to hold on to.
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:481 edit
    That's precisely what's being debated here--whether a Christian must accept all 66 books to qualify as such.
    Hey, you asked the question:
    Do you have to belong to a church to call yourself a Christian?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:482 edits
    Technically, all people believe in the existence of God, even though many deny Him. So technically speaking, there are no atheists. But for the sake of argument, or conversation, we can say that some people claim they do not believe in the existence of God - and we call those people atheists.

Atheist may argue they really truly do NOT believe in ...[text shortened]... to believe in God - and they don't want to let go of something they work so hard to hold on to.
    Following that reasoning, then I could say that there are no such thing as Christians.
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:51
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Following that point of view, then I could say there are no such thing as Christians.
    And I would disagree. 🙂

But I do not just make my claim without any foundation - it is consistent with what the Bible tells me. Don't just take my word for it.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:54
    Hey, you asked the question:
    [b]Do you have to belong to a church to call yourself a Christian?
    [/b]
    Read dj2becker's post, the first one in this thread.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 16:56
    And I would disagree. 🙂

But I do not just make my claim without any foundation - it is consistent with what the Bible tells me. Don't just take my word for it.
    But it is your word what you think the Bible tells you.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 17:00
    But it is your word what you think the Bible tells you.
    Are you disagreeing with my interpretation of what the Bible says? I don't mind being corrected if my reading of the Bible is wrong.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 17:01
    Are you disagreeing with my interpretation of what the Bible says? I don't mind being corrected if my reading of the Bible is wrong.
    Yes, I am.
  12. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 17:29
    I assume you are asking is an atheist really an atheist if he believes deep down that God exists. But I suppose he may call himself anything he wants no matter what he really believes.

Technically, all people believe in the existence of God, even though many deny Him. So technically speaking, there are no atheists. But for the sake of argument, or co ...[text shortened]... to believe in God - and they don't want to let go of something they work so hard to hold on to.
    Technically, all people believe in the existence of God, even though many deny Him. So technically speaking, there are no atheists.

Technically, that comment makes about as much sense as saying:

Technically all Christians are deluding themselves in this fairytale existence of a God named Jesus Christ. So techincally speaking, there are no Christians.

Technically you know as much about Atheism as a carrot.
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 18:23
    Yes, I am.
    Rom 1:19-20 ESV For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

God has made himself known (his divine attributes) to all creation so they are "without excuse".
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 18:25

Technically, all people believe in the existence of God, even though many deny Him. So technically speaking, there are no atheists. But for the sake of argument, or co ...[text shortened]... to believe in God - and they don't want to let go of something they work so hard to hold on to.
    this is the single dumbest post i have ever read on this site. congratulations, coletti, on raising the bar of unintelligibility to impressive new heights.
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 18:29
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    this is the single dumbest post i have ever read on this site. congratulations, coletti, on raising the bar of unintelligibility to impressive new heights.
    Case in point - as I said - it upsets them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree