A Christian

A Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
19 Aug 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You're excellent at answering questions with questions, but not so good at giving answers.

How are ancient Jewish laws on slavery applicable in the context of your life today? Answer my question & I'll answer yours.
I told you that the Bible needs to be taken in context. I thought you would be able to deduce that Christians today are not involved in the slave trade, thus thus the laws on slavery are not directly applicable to them.

Christ said that he has come to fulfil the law and also said that he has come to set the captives free.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
I told you that the Bible needs to be taken in context. I thought you would be able to deduce that Christians today are not involved in the slave trade, thus thus the laws on slavery are not directly applicable to them.

Christ also said that he has come to fulfil the law and also said that he has come to set the captives free.
Thank you for admitting that part of the Bible is of little relevance to Christians' lives today.

Moves
19 Aug 05

Thank you for admitting that part of the Bible is of little relevance to Christians' lives today.
So will you answer my question now?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Aug 05

So will you answer my question now?
My answer is that I don't have enough information to judge whether the HS wrote the Bible or not.

Moves
19 Aug 05
1 edit

My answer is that I don't have enough information to judge whether the HS wrote the Bible or not.
Do you mean "wrote" or "inspired the writing of"?

I hope you understand there is a difference?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Aug 05

Do you mean "wrote" or "inspired the writing of"?

I hope you understand there is a difference?
I hope you understand that you are patronising as all hell. What material difference does it make?

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

The Bible, I take it, is a practical guide to conduct, morality & spirituality. Feel free to add to that description.

If parts of it are out of context--laws dealing with practices that are now defunct--why bother keeping them? Except for the historical interest, of course--but reading Leviticus is about as interesting as reading Roman law (very, very dry).
Indeed, parts of the Bible that have become 'irrelevant' because a practice was defeated are applicably irrelevant to us today; except in the lessons we can glean from them.

You've heard it before: Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

If it weren't for the lessons about mankind, about God's nature and character, and about the truisms of life, one might argue that all of the OT and most of the new could be 'tossed out'. But nobody asks how David's battle with a Philistine giant could matter to me today. We are inspired and motivated by such examples.

As a race we save every scrap of history we find and build a museum to house it ever so carefully. (I just heard about a museum out west somewhere dedicated to the memory of the Pony Express. Talk about irrelevant, and yet we can be moved today by the dedication and fortitude of some of the people involved in that service.)

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Aug 05

I guess the the principles behind the case law of Leviticus would still have some application today.

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
So said Paul and Barnabas
But the book of Acts was written by Luke as most bible scholars attribute....and you still haven't commented on Jesus's words about tarrying in Jeruselem, and waiting for the promise of being filled with holy spirit....and the fact that they were in close communion with Christ.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaitor
But the book of Acts was written by Luke as most bible scholars attribute....and you still haven't commented on Jesus's words about tarrying in Jeruselem, and waiting for the promise of being filled with holy spirit....and the fact that they were in close communion with Christ.
And Lukes source for "Acts " was Paul was it not?

l

London

Moves
19 Aug 05

And Lukes source for "Acts " was Paul was it not?
The latter half (Paul's journeys) perhaps. The first half is almost certainly a translation from documents originally in Aramaic.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
The latter half (Paul's journeys) perhaps. The first half is almost certainly a translation from documents originally in Aramaic.
The begining of Paul,, when he was Saul the Pharisee didn't come from any source other than Paul , nor did the story of his "conversion" on the road to Damascus.

l

London

Moves
19 Aug 05

The begining of Paul,, when he was Saul the Pharisee didn't come from any source other than Paul , nor did the story of his "conversion" on the road to Damascus.
If you contrast the story of Saul's conversion in ch 9 to accounts in Paul's "own" words in ch 22 and ch 26 you'll see that the latter correspond more closely to Paul's own words in his epistles. Luke was certainly working from other sources in the first conversion account.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
If you contrast the story of Saul's conversion in ch 9 to accounts in Paul's "own" words in ch 22 and ch 26 you'll see that the latter correspond more closely to Paul's own words in his epistles. Luke was certainly working from other sources in the first conversion account.
How many people seen Christ on the road to Damascus that day?

Moves
22 Aug 05

How many people seen Christ on the road to Damascus that day?
Just intereseted to know which parts of the Bible you believe?