1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 11:59
    Can a person that does not believe that the entire Bible (includes all 66 books) is the inspired and infallible word of God call him/herself a Christian?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 12:38
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Can a person that does not believe that the entire Bible (includes all 66 books) is the inspired and infallible word of God call him/herself a Christian?
    Yes. There are millions of people who do just that.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:16
    Why not? Anyone can call themselves anything, it isn't like we have
    a truth detector on our mouths to only allow truth to be spoken.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:27
    I actually think they would not be Christians.

Note that belief that it is the word of God doesn't mean that God wrote it literally. Different interpretations are not incompatible with believing that it is the word of God.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:31
    As Ned Flanders says, “I believe in all the Bible, even the parts that contradict each other”.

P-
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:40
    Originally posted by Palynka

Note that belief that it is the word of God doesn't mean that God wrote it literally. Different interpretations are not incompatible with believing that it is the word of God.
    Clearly, then, the Christians who lived immediately after Christ's death, before the majority of the New Testament was written, could not have been Christians.
  7. London
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:41

I've always thought of Christians as being those who believed in the [Nicene] Creed (except maybe the clause dealing with "One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Church"😉.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Clearly, then, the Christians who lived immediately after Christ's death, before the majority of the New Testament was written, could not have been Christians.
    Why not?

Edit: My statement didn't mean that Christian are merely believers in the Bible, there appears to be more than one poster is assuming that perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:03
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I've always thought of Christians as being those who believed in the [Nicene] Creed (except maybe the clause dealing with "One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Church"😉.
    A simplification, but one I'm willing to accept. Note that this means that the Bible would be the word of God, since the Creed holds this as true. ("He has spoken through the Prophets" )
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:12
    Why not?

Edit: My statement didn't mean that Christian are merely believers in the Bible, there appears to be more than one poster is assuming that perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.
    If (in dj2becker's definition) being a Christian requires belief in all 66 books of the Bible, some of which were not written for some decades (at least) after Christ's death, there must have been Christians who would not have had all 66 books at their disposal.

Never mind that the present canon was edited into shape in 325AD.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes. There are millions of people who do just that.
    So, can an "atheist" call him/herself an atheist if he/she actually believes deep down in his/her heart that a God does exist?
  12. Gangster Land
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:17
    Yes. I know this to be true because I do not, and I am.

TheSkipper
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:18
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    If (in dj2becker's definition) being a Christian requires belief in all 66 books of the Bible, some of which were not written for some decades (at least) after Christ's death, there must have been Christians who would not have had all 66 books at their disposal.

Never mind that the present canon was edited into shape in 325AD.
    I don't see why that contradicts dj2becker's definition. Those obviously couldn't believe something that didn't exist at the time. Doesn't your reasoning prevent the Christian God to speak to Christians through a new Prophet?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why not? Anyone can call themselves anything, it isn't like we have
    a truth detector on our mouths to only allow truth to be spoken.
    Kelly
    So the question then comes up, "Can we trust anybody that claims to be anything?"
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Yes. I know this to be true because I do not, and I am.

TheSkipper
    The question comes up, which parts of the Bible do you need to believe in order to be able to call yourself a Christian?