A Christian

A Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Aug 05

Can a person that does not believe that the entire Bible (includes all 66 books) is the inspired and infallible word of God call him/herself a Christian?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
18 Aug 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Can a person that does not believe that the entire Bible (includes all 66 books) is the inspired and infallible word of God call him/herself a Christian?
Yes. There are millions of people who do just that.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Aug 05

Why not? Anyone can call themselves anything, it isn't like we have
a truth detector on our mouths to only allow truth to be spoken.
Kelly

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Aug 05

I actually think they would not be Christians.

Note that belief that it is the word of God doesn't mean that God wrote it literally. Different interpretations are not incompatible with believing that it is the word of God.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Aug 05

As Ned Flanders says, “I believe in all the Bible, even the parts that contradict each other”.

P-

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Aug 05

Originally posted by Palynka

Note that belief that it is the word of God doesn't mean that God wrote it literally. Different interpretations are not incompatible with believing that it is the word of God.
Clearly, then, the Christians who lived immediately after Christ's death, before the majority of the New Testament was written, could not have been Christians.

l

London

Moves
18 Aug 05

I've always thought of Christians as being those who believed in the [Nicene] Creed (except maybe the clause dealing with "One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Church"😉.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Clearly, then, the Christians who lived immediately after Christ's death, before the majority of the New Testament was written, could not have been Christians.
Why not?

Edit: My statement didn't mean that Christian are merely believers in the Bible, there appears to be more than one poster is assuming that perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Aug 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I've always thought of Christians as being those who believed in the [Nicene] Creed (except maybe the clause dealing with "One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Church"😉.
A simplification, but one I'm willing to accept. Note that this means that the Bible would be the word of God, since the Creed holds this as true. ("He has spoken through the Prophets" )

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Aug 05

Why not?

Edit: My statement didn't mean that Christian are merely believers in the Bible, there appears to be more than one poster is assuming that perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.
If (in dj2becker's definition) being a Christian requires belief in all 66 books of the Bible, some of which were not written for some decades (at least) after Christ's death, there must have been Christians who would not have had all 66 books at their disposal.

Never mind that the present canon was edited into shape in 325AD.

Moves
18 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
Yes. There are millions of people who do just that.
So, can an "atheist" call him/herself an atheist if he/she actually believes deep down in his/her heart that a God does exist?

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
18 Aug 05

Yes. I know this to be true because I do not, and I am.

TheSkipper

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Aug 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
If (in dj2becker's definition) being a Christian requires belief in all 66 books of the Bible, some of which were not written for some decades (at least) after Christ's death, there must have been Christians who would not have had all 66 books at their disposal.

Never mind that the present canon was edited into shape in 325AD.
I don't see why that contradicts dj2becker's definition. Those obviously couldn't believe something that didn't exist at the time. Doesn't your reasoning prevent the Christian God to speak to Christians through a new Prophet?

Moves
18 Aug 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Why not? Anyone can call themselves anything, it isn't like we have
a truth detector on our mouths to only allow truth to be spoken.
Kelly
So the question then comes up, "Can we trust anybody that claims to be anything?"

Moves
18 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Yes. I know this to be true because I do not, and I am.

TheSkipper
The question comes up, which parts of the Bible do you need to believe in order to be able to call yourself a Christian?