1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 01:44
    (by "decent" I mean his arguments were coherent, plausible and not induced by fear of hell or fear of disdain from other Christians)

Me, my muso mate (agnostic would be the closest description) and a Christian had a talk the other night.
    Actually the Christian brought us a meal, and not just Maccas but an $80 steak for my mate and a $15 ice cream for me! Sweet 🙂

Anyway, we got onto spirituality and I gave him a quick spiel about my telepathic encounters and other various wild spiritual encounters. He listened without prejudice, accepted my story and even his body language was spot on.

Then it was his turn and he told us he was a Christian. Straight away I told him that while I believe JC was a real person with excellent messages for humanity, I did not believe his way was the only way and that I would never become a Christian. He didn't try to change my (or my friends) mind.
    He accepted the analogy that we are all climbing the same mountain and that Christianity was but one path. (His body language was agreeing with all this as well)

Well how refreshing! After our chat we parted ways and all 3 of us felt good after this encounter and hoped that we would meet again.
    BTW I'm 38, my mate was 45 and the Christian was 23 but age was absolutely no factor in this exchange - as it shouldn't be.

As I left, I wondered why more Christians couldn't be like this fine young man. I mean if he was what Christians were generally like then I would advocate Christianity for sure. Sadly, as we all know, this guy was the exception to the rule.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 02:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (by "decent" I mean his arguments were coherent, plausible and not induced by fear of hell or fear of disdain from other Christians)

Me, my muso mate (agnostic would be the closest description) and a Christian had a talk the other night.
    Actually the Christian brought us a meal, and not just Maccas but an $80 steak for my mate and a $15 ice cream ...[text shortened]... cate Christianity for sure. Sadly, as we all know, this guy was the exception to the rule.
    Where's the Traction?
  3. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 07:057 edits
    As I left, I wondered why more Christians couldn't be like this fine young man. I mean if he was what Christians were generally like then I would advocate Christianity for sure. Sadly, as we all know, this guy was the exception to the rule.[/b]
    Sounds like you have a cookie cutter and your trying to cut out in your own small way of thinking how you would like the Christian to be.
    Without saltiness Christians will blend in and become resonant with the world.

The Bible is the inspired word of God...not of man, I guess you could say Its the manufacturers manual for mankind.
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

His blood was shed as the final sin offering for man.
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Don't mean to be rude here but who made you judge of the universe KA? The universe and everything we see are run by laws far above your knowledge and understanding.
    your just entertaining human thought.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 08:091 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Actually the Christian brought us a meal, and not just Maccas but an $80 steak for my mate and a $15 ice cream cate Christianity for sure. Sadly, as we all know, this guy was the exception to the rule.
    My impression of you (other than you being a nice guy) is that you avoid confrontation and challenge and your definition of "decent Christian" drops out of that. Suggest you read the gospels again and take note of how often JC confronts and challenges people.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 09:121 edit
    Originally posted by GoodKnight2U
    Sounds like you have a cookie cutter and your trying to cut out in your own small way of thinking how you would like the Christian to be.

The Bible is the inspired word of God...not of man, I guess you could say Its the manufacturers manual for mankind.
    [b]John 14:6 Jesu ...[text shortened]... by laws far above your knowledge and understanding.
    [/b]
    The Bible is the inspired word of God...not of man

And you're basing this conclusion on the texts within bible itself, right?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 09:25
    Don't mean to be rude here but who made you judge of the universe KA? The universe and everything we see are run by laws far above your knowledge and understanding.
    You may not be rude, but you sure do have a big ego. You think that although the laws of the universe are above everyone else's understanding, you have a handle on them better than the rest of us. What makes you so sure that the laws are beyond my understanding?
  7. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat

But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me?

The Word of God is much wiser way to go than just living off your thoughts, which we all know change constantly.
  8. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 10:274 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You may not be rude, but you sure do have a big ego. You think that although the laws of the universe are above everyone else's understanding, you have a handle on them better than the rest of us. What makes you so sure that the laws are beyond my understanding?
    You think that although the laws of the universe are above everyone else's understanding,
    No that is a false interpretation of what I wrote. there many things beyond understanding if this not case then men would have little to no reason to debate because he would know everything, although some already think they do

What makes you so sure that the laws are beyond my understanding?
    Well then you have the big ego

stop analysing everything.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 11:021 edit
    stop analysing everything.
    Why? Are you afraid I might actually understand something?

The fact is that I do understand some of the laws of the universe (I wouldn't last long without understanding the basics of gravity), and the only reason you brought up the topic is that you think that if you claim that nobody knows anything, then somehow your ridiculous beliefs must be more reasonable. But if nobody knows anything, then it is actually ridiculous for you to hold beliefs. Ah, now I see why you don't want me analyzing. 🙂
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 11:43
    But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me?

The Word of God is much wiser way to go than just living off your thoughts, which we all know change constantly.
    It always makes me chuckle when somebody defends the veracity of their scripture by quoting something from within that scripture. Why would you think that has any weight?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 11:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Where's the Traction?
    Someone got that, but it went over my head unfortunately
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 11:49
    So basically, you don't think.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 12:092 edits

[b]John 14:6 Jesu run by laws far above your knowledge and understanding.
    Sorry for sounding pompous, but the truth would dictate that I made me judge of my universe. Actually I am a co-judge with my fellow humans,the guiding Spirit and nature. My judgment is 50% and all the rest are the other 50%.
    And I believe everyone should aspire to co-create the universe with the aide of other "free,open,souls" , to guide them and give them a nudge this way or that every now and then.
    I find it sad that by this comment- "The universe and everything we see are run by laws far above your understanding and knowledge" - you have disempowered and cut yourself off from Spirit by that thought, Spirit which wants nothing more than for you to reclaim your lost power and for you to take up your seat of power/co-creation, so that you may help lead this world into a much better dimension, rather than let any old dictator come along and wreck the world for the less fortunate and the weak.
    I am not entertaining human thought, I am exercising my brain for co-creative purposes which will help the Earth,nature and people stand up for and act out what is right while achieving that self-satisfaction that can only be earned by brave humans who go and do stuff, rather than sit at home with the couch potatoes who watch news propaganda and try to tell you that they know something about how the world works because they were told on the news.

It's not just Christians I want to apply my cookie cutter to - I want all humans to uphod these type of values.
    Funny you should use that argument, because I have often used that argument for my anti-Christian message. From the late ,great Frank Zappa (referring to organized religion)- "One size does not fit all.

So Goodnight2u , should all Christians be different or should they all conform to the same basic model??

BTW- I really think your are overly presumptuous to think that I know zilch about the universe and spirituality. You don't know me. Why don't you try asking a question, understand the answer and then give me a critique. For you just to say I don't know anything is very rude. How do you know that I am not a saint? -Serious-
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 12:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    My impression of you (other than you being a nice guy) is that you avoid confrontation and challenge and your definition of "decent Christian" drops out of that. Suggest you read the gospels again and take note of how often JC confronts and challenges people.
    Firstly thank you for the compliment. I think I am aware enough of those gospels and the things Jesus did.

Are you suggesting that this kid should've stood up to me and my mate a bit more and quietly yet gracefully told us that perhaps we were a bit off the right track and that we should consider the bible more seriously as a way to move forward spiritually in the right direction??
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '13 12:261 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat

This is exactly the difference ---where because GnightU2 is 100% convinced that because the bible is the one and only true word of god and that all other religious/spiritual books are false in some way then we are absolutely commiting spiritual suicide where as this other young Christian guy seems not so hung up on the bible being the only word of god and I suspect he could imagine that he may have been born in Iran and he would be a Muslim. Sure, he would practice different customs, but according to the theism of Christianity and Islam I 'm pretty sure this cat would realize that they all worship the same god

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree