1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:362 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Then why do you call it a belief system?

Beliefs are what you believe, not what you can prove to be so.

Beliefs are based on faith, not proof. Otherwise, they cease to be beliefs and become facts.

Beliefs are based on faith, not proof. Otherwise, they cease to be beliefs and become facts.

Nonsense! Beliefs, in general, are not based upon faith at all. Typically, in order to believe X is true, one must have evidence which renders the likelyhood of ¬X being true to be smaller than some confidence threshold. Moreover, certainty of X is merely a special case of belief where you have evidence which renders the likelyhood of ¬X to be zero (or negligibly far away from zero). As such, they can very much be based on proof!

To have faith in X on the other hand, only requires one has sufficient desire for X to be true.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:38
    Originally posted by GoodKnight2U
    What you seem to be saying here is you were speaking to him with prejudice?
    ?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by tim88
    are you saying that we should buy people ice cream! that sounds fair enough i guess
    No. I'm saying you shouldn't shove you silly beliefs down peoples throaghts
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 00:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What rubbish.

My belief system is based on what I perceive with my senses.
    Mine are too, plus what has been revealed by God.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 00:14
    Then why do you call it a belief system?

I believe in facts too.
  6. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 04:443 edits
    No. I'm saying you shouldn't shove you silly beliefs down peoples throaghts
    Is that not what you were doing when you started this thread??????? shoving your beliefs (opinion) down others throats.

Then it was his turn and he told us he was a Christian. Straight away I told him (so are you saying you cut him off before he could tell you about his faith?) that while I believe JC was a real person with excellent messages for humanity, I did not believe his way was the only way (so what your saying is make up your own religion? truth is whatever you think it should be??) and that I would never become a Christian.so you are shoving your views down others throats, and you want people to follow your example?) He didn't try to change my (or my friends) mind. (so only on this basis was he accepted.)
    He accepted the analogy that we are all climbing the same mountain and that Christianity was but one path. (that is only your opinion.) (His body language was agreeing with all this as well) (so your playing judge here.)
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 10:432 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Beliefs are what you believe, not what you can prove to be so.

Nonsense! Beliefs, in general, are not based upon faith at all. Typically, in order to believe X is true, one must have evidence which renders the likelyhood of ¬X being true to be ...[text shortened]... e faith in X on the other hand, only requires one has sufficient desire for X to be true.[/b]
    No.

You have incredibly narrow definitions.

Belief is NOT engendered upon evidence. This is patently ridiculous.

Desire also plays no part in faith. Faith is not the same as wishing.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 10:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe in facts too.
    No.

A fact stands alone. A fact doesn't really care if you believe it or not. It is still a fact.

A belief is no longer a belief if no one believes it.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 10:57
    I would say this fine young man had faith that we would all find our paths and if he tried to sway us toward Christianity then he would actually be pushing us away from it.
    This, too, is vanity.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:01
    I come here as a non Christian and try to give examples of how I think Christians should act . In short, I try to be positive and this is what I get.

The op is a very simple message, if you have no comment about it then please move along.
    A non Christian telling us how he thinks a Christian should act.

And you call this positive? Would you accept us telling you how we think you should act? How would you view such a thing? Positively? No, probably not.

Whatever happened to 'live and let live' (which I believe was meant to be the main idea of your OP)?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:17
    Hell no. Not one iota. I dont get bothered by unreal things.
    Is this how you face things in life that you might fear?

You just decide they're not real?

Doesn't sound like a formula for long-term success, but that's just my opinion.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:22
    Belief is NOT engendered upon evidence. This is patently ridiculous.

Desire also plays no part in faith. Faith is not the same as wishing.
    So your belief and faith are basically random. OK, we get that. But the rest of us, have more sensible methods.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So your belief and faith are basically random. OK, we get that. But the rest of us, have more sensible methods.
    Of course it's not random. You really don't get it, do you?

Maybe that's what you call it, so that you can put it down like a bad joke.

I am a Christian. I believe in the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham. I believe that God so loved the world that He sent His Son to take on the sins of the world and to be sacrificed so that we might have life, and to have it more abundantly. I believe in the Christ Jesus, my Lord and Savior, and in His gift of life and strive every day to follow His example.

That's not 'random' at all. That you call it so merely demonstrates your misunderstanding of it.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:08
    You really don't get it, do you?
    No, I clearly don't. But that is as much a function of your failure to explain as it is my failure to understand.
    You clearly stated that:
    1. Your beliefs / faith are not based on evidence.
    2. Your beliefs / faith are not based on desire.

I am a Christian. I believe in the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham. I believe that God so loved the world that He sent His Son to take on the sins of the world and to be sacrificed so that we might have life, and to have it more abundantly. I believe in the Christ Jesus, my Lord and Savior, and in His gift of life and strive every day to follow His example.

That's not 'random' at all. That you call it so merely demonstrates your misunderstanding of it.

It looks random to me. Yes I know those beliefs come from the Bible, but your choice of the Bible is random. Why do you not believe the teachings of Mohammed, or the 101 other belief systems out there?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 13:16
    Originally posted by GoodKnight2U
    Is that not what you were doing when you started this thread??????? shoving your beliefs (opinion) down others throats.

[b]Then it was his turn and he told us he was a Christian. Straight away I told him
    (so are you saying you cut him off before he could tell you about his faith?) that while I believe JC was a real person with excellent messa ...[text shortened]... n.) [b](His body language was agreeing with all this as well) (so your playing judge here.)[/b]
    Yes, I'm putting forward the idea that religious people who don't push you towards their religion are much more nicer people all other things being equal.
    I find this more interesting than the done to death hell brimstone stuff that I hear so often - as if they were like robots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree