1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 02:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is this your refutation of the suggestion that you're using circular logic?
    There is nothing wrong with circular logic if the reasoning is true. 😏
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 04:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Are you suggesting that this kid should've stood up to me and my mate a bit more and quietly yet gracefully told us that perhaps we were a bit off the right track and that we should consider the bible more seriously as a way to move forward spiritually in the right direction??
    No, I'm suggesting that your interpretation of the absence of him doing that is incorrect.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 05:03
    ... where as this other young Christian guy seems not so hung up on the bible being the only word of god...
    "seems"

You spent a whole evening (I surmise) with this person but you don't know what he believes?
  4. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 05:09
    [b](by "decent" I mean his arguments were coherent, plausible and not induced by fear of hell or fear of disdain from other Christians)
    So the thought of hell bothers you?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 05:13
    "no one gets to Heaven except through me" ... what does that mean exactly? Surely it's not literal? I mean, does he want us to walk through him? I doubt it.
    No, I think what he was trying to say is that "no one gets to Heaven except by following my example" . Now that makes sense.
    It may make sense to you KA but it is not correct. Jesus wasn't crucified for being a nice guy and doing good stuff, he was crucified for claiming things like this:

John 8:24
    King James Version (KJV)

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
  6. Joined
    01 Jan '12
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 05:412 edits
    He listened without prejudice, accepted my story and even his body language was spot on.
    What you seem to be saying here is you were speaking to him with prejudice?
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 09:04
    (by "decent" I mean his arguments were coherent, plausible and not induced by fear of hell or fear of disdain from other Christians)

Me, my muso mate (agnostic would be the closest description) and a Christian had a talk the other night.
    Actually the Christian brought us a meal, and not just Maccas but an $80 steak for my mate and a $15 ice cream ...[text shortened]... cate Christianity for sure. Sadly, as we all know, this guy was the exception to the rule.
    are you saying that we should buy people ice cream! that sounds fair enough i guess
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 14:11
    Originally posted by GoodKnight2U
    Look at what you are doing and all the circular reasoning you use, you don't want the truth so you base your belief in....? do you even even know?

The Bible is the inspired word of God because it says so and I have no reason to argue with it, I believed in God before I was even old enough to know what a Bible was. So not to believe in absolutely ever ...[text shortened]... with Christianity? pick up a Bible for yourself and read it and help yourself to understand.
    You should talk to Mr Hinds, you two have a lot in common.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:12
    So all of your entire belief system is simply based only on imagination not truth?
    which explains why you spend all your efforts arguing and disputing Gods truth.
    What rubbish.

My belief system is based on what I perceive with my senses.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:201 edit
    What rubbish.

My belief system is based on what I perceive with my senses.
    Then why do you call it a belief system?

Beliefs are what you believe, not what you can prove to be so.

Beliefs are based on faith, not proof. Otherwise, they cease to be beliefs and become facts.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:21
    Do you remember how you started this thread or are you really that narrow minded?
    Read what you write before you hit the send button in future and stop waffling on, because every time you write something you contradict yourself.

[I]As I left, I wondered why more Christians couldn't be like this fine young man. I mean if he was what Christians were g ...[text shortened]... you.
    [b]Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    [/b]
    I come here as a non Christian and try to give examples of how I think Christians should act . In short, I try to be positive and this is what I get.

The op is a very simple message, if you have no comment about it then please move along.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Then why do you call it a belief system?

Beliefs are what you believe, not what you can prove to be so.

Beliefs are based on faith, not proof. Otherwise, they cease to be beliefs and become facts.
    I call it that so that the forum may understand me, derr.

edit: and you know how I "believe" in things like telepathy,ufo's,etc.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    He was definitely a young Christain and perhaps age and maturity did have spmething to do with it. He is giving respect to his elders regardless of their false beliefs. I, on the other hand, would have pointed out what Jesus said and hoped that you would give the words of Jesus respect even though you might not give me the respect I deserve not only becaus ...[text shortened]... is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

(Matthew 7:13-14 NKJV)[/b]
    Well it just seemed like 3 guys chatting and enjoying themselves regardless of religion or age.
    That is why before we parted I asked our religions and ages.

I would say this fine young man had faith that we would all find our paths and if he tried to sway us toward Christianity then he would actually be pushing us away from it.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "seems"

You spent a whole evening (I surmise) with this person but you don't know what he believes?
    and if I had've said "it is" then you would said I was assuming, hence I said "seems", in which case I got this response.
    You cant win with you Christians.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 21:36
    So the thought of hell bothers you?
    Hell no. Not one iota. I dont get bothered by unreal things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree