1. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    yes Morality can come from outside the Bible. I think for me that would be the point of why does man have a sense of morality?? why is man a moral being?? I would veture to say that man is a moral being. menace71 (manny)
    Sure I can buy into the idea of man being a moral being. I have no desire to question the belief if it did come from or out of Christianity because I cannot prove it didn't.

I do think, however, that it cannot be proven that all morality comes from or is an extension of Christianity. It's discussions like these that have made me agnostic.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 21:44
    Joe, I just wanted to comment on your sharp change of attitude lately. You're really making an effort to be courteous and respectful and I want you to know it's appreciated.

We all may not agree, but being able to discuss these things in a gentlemanly manner will help us all grow in knowledge.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 21:48
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Sure I can buy into the idea of man being a moral being. I have no desire to question the belief if it did come from or out of Christianity because I cannot prove it didn't.

I do think, however, that it cannot be proven that all morality comes from or is an extension of Christianity. It's discussions like these that have made me agnostic.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    You have said that right!!LOL my philosophy sucks!!! LOL I guess my only question is why is man a moral being?? Why is man a religious being?? with there being so many religions in the world. There has to be an answer to these questions. I know most will say religion is mans way of explaning the unknown or whatever but for me personlly that is not enough of an answer. By the way joe fist with all sincerity I enjoy this disscussion with you. menace71 ( Manny)
  4. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 21:51
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Joe, I just wanted to comment on your sharp change of attitude lately. You're really making an effort to be courteous and respectful and I want you to know it's appreciated.

We all may not agree, but being able to discuss these things in a gentlemanly manner will help us all grow in knowledge.
    You're welcome...likewise 🙂
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 21:53
    hey Joe fist maybe we play some Chess some time menace71
  6. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 22:14
    You have said that right!!LOL my philosophy sucks!!! LOL I guess my only question is why is man a moral being?? Why is man a religious being?? with there being so many religions in the world. There has to be an answer to these questions. I know most will say religion is mans way of explaning the unknown or whatever but for me personlly that is not enough ...[text shortened]... . By the way joe fist with all sincerity I enjoy this disscussion with you. menace71 ( Manny)
    Thanks Manny,

I enjoy these topics as well. I don't know you but I doubt your philosophy sucks. I have an idea as why morality is paramount for mankind. I think I said this in another discussion in Debates but I'll try to reword it here.

I think why religion (all aspects - the belief/nonbelief, the acceptance of some and the discredit of others) is all linked to one event everyone of us will have to face....dying.

For most of us non-atheists, I think if it was proven beyond any doubt that there is no life after death that would drive anyone of us insane and would also destroy any need or necessity for any type of moral code. What would be the point? But I think the point of the atheist (and you know, I am not one so I am probably not really qualified to answer) should be considered and respected. Many atheists are responsible and respectful to others and they would adamantly deny any spiritual influence over their morality.

I guess that is the same as what you wrote, "the unknown". I'm not sure if the athiest believes that either 1. When you die, there is nothing spiritual about your existence and you fade or 2. They just believe there are no "gods" but the possibility exists that you could go on "living" in some form? Nevertheless, the majority of atheists I know tend to be pretty good people.

Many religions have an intepretation of what happens beyond the flesh and for those of us drawn to them, they make "sense". They are "right" and "infallible" in our core. If you truly believe, then it makes sense that it should be that way.
  7. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 22:15
    hey Joe fist maybe we play some Chess some time menace71
    Sure but I assure you I am one of the worst chess players. 😉
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 01:37
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Thanks Manny,

I enjoy these topics as well. I don't know you but I doubt your philosophy sucks. I have an idea as why morality is paramount for mankind. I think I said this in another discussion in Debates but I'll try to reword it here.

I think why religion (all aspects - the belief/nonbelief, the acceptance of some and the discredit of others) ...[text shortened]... infallible" in our core. If you truly believe, then it makes sense that it should be that way.
    Joe, I owe you an apology: I misread you, and thought that your position was one of atheism, that "God is not part of your viewpoint," I think I said--which could be agnostic as well, I suppose. Anyway, sorry. 🙂
  9. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:56
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Joe, I owe you an apology: I misread you, and thought that your position was one of atheism, that "God is not part of your viewpoint," I think I said--which could be agnostic as well, I suppose. Anyway, sorry. 🙂
    No worries vistesd. I could be interpreted as an atheist I suppose but I guess I don't like to think of nothingness after death...oh well 🙂
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:07
    Originally posted by Darfius
    My brothers are those who believe Jesus Christ is their sovereign Lord and became their Savior when He took on their sins on the cross, died, and rose again literally after 3 days.
    Ahem. I believe you mean 'on the third day.'

Right?

Nemesio
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:14
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Ahem. I believe you mean 'on the third day.'

Right?

Nemesio

You have some sort of disease Nemesio, neurotic or something ...

You know how your disease is called ? Being a total jerk ..... !

12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:47
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

You have some sort of disease Nemesio, neurotic or something ...

You know how your disease is called ? Being a total jerk ..... !

No. It's called knowing one's Christian Doctrine.

That's my disease.

Obviously, it's not contagious.

Nemesio
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 08:33
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    From whence comes humanity's universal moral sense?

If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

How do you explain the radically changed lives of so many Christian believers down through history?

What do you say about the hundreds of scholarly books that carefully docum ...[text shortened]... that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?
    Dj stopped posting for a while. I had hoped he'd been banned or something. Oh well.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 08:34
    Do you not think that questions which are frequently asked can be repeated in the same manner? My apologies... but as far as I know there is no copyright on the questions that I asked. Please correct me if I'm wrong...I will however agree to use these questions only as a from of starting conversation. As you may or may not be aware, I'm am pretty much capable of posting origional thought and I will agree to do so from hence forth...🙂

I'm am pretty much capable of posting origional thought and I will agree to do so from hence forth...

That would be wonderful.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 09:16
    From whence comes humanity's universal moral sense?

If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

How do you explain the radically changed lives of so many Christian believers down through history?

What do you say about the hundreds of scholarly books that carefully docum ...[text shortened]... that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?
    and how do you explain it only takes until the second sentence before it begins to get incoherent?

1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon
    the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the
    waters.

and erroneous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree