1. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No, I'm saying that what you do to people is a disgusting perversion of those scriptures.
    so shunning is scriptural, good we have established that, when was the last time you shunned someone for unscriptural behaviour as outlined in the Bible.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    also,

Romans 16:17
    I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
    In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and ...[text shortened]... ivisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them.
    I think one of the questions is, what constitutes a division deserving of disfellowship? The Wikipedia article on excommunication addresses this, although it is not to be taken as having the JW imprimatur:

"Jehovah's Witnesses practice something similar to excommunication, using the term "disfellowshipping", in cases where, it is believed, a member has unrepentantly committed one or more of several documented "serious sins".[22]

The verses of Scripture that Witnesses appeal to for expelling unrepentant believers is 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 and 2 John 10, where it says "quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man....remove the wicked man from your midst" and "never receive him in your home or say a greeting to him." They interpret this to mean that any baptized believer who engages in "gross sins", mentioned in the Bible is, to be expelled from the congregation and shunned."

Another concern I have is that disfellowship can have serious psychological and social effects on a person. Perhaps moreso in a small homogeneous community where a person can in effect be banished from the community while not physically ejected. Finding work, purchasing food, etc. could become impossible. In our modern generally secular world, this is not so much a problem, and disfellowed JWs, excommunicated Catholics, etc. can get along OK in life. Keeping it that way is important.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:21
    I have told you why, read the verse that both I and the Gman have posted, are you saying that shunning is unscriptural?
    No you haven't you have just dumped scripture into a post with no attempt to rationalise that against what you do to people.

If a person simply decides to leave the church with no other misbehaviour you would shun them and encourage their family and friends who remain in the JWs to do the same. This is an example of how awful what you do to people is.

And you still haven't addressed the issue in the OP which is the hypocrisy of your corporations leadership.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think one of the questions is, what constitutes a division deserving of disfellowship? The Wikipedia article on excommunication addresses this, although it is not to be taken as having the JW imprimatur:

"Jehovah's Witnesses practice something similar to excommunication, using the term "disfellowshipping", in cases where, it is believed, a member has unre ...[text shortened]... JWs, excommunicated Catholics, etc. can get along OK in life. Keeping it that way is important.
    So we are at least agreed the practice is scriptural, thank you.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:22
    so shunning is scriptural, good we have established that, when was the last time you shunned someone for unscriptural behaviour as outlined in the Bible.
    No, shunning is a JW term which represents the emotional abuse you put people through simply for leaving your corporation. It's disgusting.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:23
    No you haven't you have just dumped scripture into a post with no attempt to rationalise that against what you do to people.

If a person simply decides to leave the church with no other misbehaviour you would shun them and encourage their family and friends who remain in the JWs to do the same. This is an example of how awful what you do to people is ...[text shortened]... ll haven't addressed the issue in the OP which is the hypocrisy of your corporations leadership.
    On the contrary i have explained that the practice is scriptural, you will now say why it is not.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    So we are at least agreed the practice is scriptural, thank you.
    No we don't! I don't think anyone in the forum would subscribe to what you and your organisation do to people who want to leave your church. You should be ashamed of yourself robbie.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    No, shunning is a JW term which represents the emotional abuse you put people through simply for leaving your corporation. It's disgusting.
    Its clearly a biblical teaching or you will explain the verses that have been cited and retract your hate speech.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:251 edit
    No we don't! I don't think anyone in the forum would subscribe to what you and your organisation do to people who want to leave your church. You should be ashamed of yourself robbie.
    actually i think to any sane person, those that can read and comprehend the Bible would have to disagree with you, its entirely scriptural or you will explain why in the light of the verses cited that its not. I have nothing to be ashamed about.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:26
    On the contrary i have explained that the practice is scriptural, you will now say why it is not.
    Because you have just dumped scripture into a post and claimed that those situation are exactly what you are dealing with and what you do to people is what is described in those scriptures. It isn't. What you do to people who want to leave your church is hateful and without any scriptural basis whatsoever. This is one of the reasons the JWs are a cult.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:27
    actually i think to any sane person, those that can read and comprehend the Bible would have to disagree with you, its entirely scriptural or you will explain why in the light of the verses cited that its not. I have nothing to be ashamed about.
    Because for the umpteenth time, you are not rationalising those scriptures with specific examples of people you have shunned. Good grief, it's obvious.

For example AGAIN. Why do you shun people who choose to leave your corporation?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:28
    Because you have just dumped scripture into a post and claimed that those situation are exactly what you are dealing with and what you do to people is what is described in those scriptures. It isn't. What you do to people who want to leave your church is hateful and without any scriptural basis whatsoever. This is one of the reasons the JWs are a cult.
    then explain the verses, you say its unscriptural then lets see you explain away the verses, even Proper Knob an atheist can see that its scriptuiral, he might not agree with it, but at least he can see that its scriptural which is a damn sight more than you. Ouch, that gotta hurt, a Christian arguing against the Bibles teachings, what does that make you , an apostate, woa.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:28
    Because for the umpteenth time, you are not rationalising those scriptures with specific examples of people you have shunned. Good grief, it's obvious.

For example AGAIN. Why do you shun people who choose to leave your corporation?
    explain why the practice is unscriptural, if you cannot or will not then you have no complaints other than your usual hatred, which is well, really what this is all about.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:29
    then explain the verses, you say its unscriptural then lets see you explain away the verses, even Proper Knob an atheist can see that its scriptuiral, he might not agree with it, but at least he can see that its scriptural which is a damn sight more than you. Ouch, that gotta hurt, a Christian arguing against the Bibles teachings, what does that make you , an apostate, woa.
    No. The onus is on you to justify with example why you shun people who simply want to leave the Jehovah witness corporation.

Please explain how any of those scriptures justifies this horrendous treatment of fellow human beings.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:30
    I have not said 'shunning' is scriptural. Far from it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree