1. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 11:02
    @suzianne said
    This, to me, is the worst part of being Christian. You always get the holier-than-thou types claiming that you're going to burn in hell for something they think you did, just because you aren't the exact same kind of Christian they claim to be. Always judging. Then you find out they cheated on their taxes or something. Always with the huge stack of hypocrisy up to ...[text shortened]... character flaw, I say, because there are plenty of moral people around, religious and not religious.
    You need to get some professional help for that persecution complex you carrying around. It must be hard living like you, and those around you all the time.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 06:441 edit
    @rajk999 said
    You need to get some professional help for that persecution complex you carrying around. It must be hard living like you, and those around you all the time.
    Again, thank you kindly for illustrating my point.

If you owned a flamethrower, you'd complain about the screaming while immolating people.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 14:44
    @fmf said
    "A man's deeds determine who he is. Nothing else."

A line from Israeli TV drama 'Prisoners of War'.

OK. It need not be "a man's" deeds - "a person's" deeds is better - and the "nothing else" bit is a bit hyperbolic and simplistic, but the idea behind the assertion is worth exploring nevertheless. One's inner life and perceived-in-the-first-person narrative aside, does much else matter in terms of who a person is relative to others apart from "deeds"?
    A step closer to "who he is", as determined by ones deeds, is the fact that what one does is determined by what one thinks.

A person is what they think because what they think is what they say and do. Thinking starts the process. Everything else follows thought.

The exception is that we all have said and done things without thinking first, or thinking incorrectly.

So, a person's thoughts determine who/what he/she is. First and foremost.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 17:401 edit
    @secondson said
    A step closer to "who he is", as determined by ones deeds, is the fact that what one does is determined by what one thinks.

A person is what they think because what they think is what they say and do. Thinking starts the process. Everything else follows thought.

The exception is that we all have said and done things without thinking first, or thinking incorrectly.

What utter baloney. Is Facebook your bible? Ever came across the saying One kind deed is worth 1000 kind thoughts.? In the parable of the Good Samaritan I can bet the priest and Levite who did nothing for the man in need of assistance. I could bet they were very sympathetic, very sorry, and even they said a prayer for man, and thought kindly about the mans plight. He was like people on Facebook.... my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Good deeds count. Good thoughts? They are dime a dozen and practically worthless.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 20:06
    @rajk999 said
    What utter baloney. Is Facebook your bible? Ever came across the saying One kind deed is worth 1000 kind thoughts.? In the parable of the Good Samaritan I can bet the priest and Levite who did nothing for the man in need of assistance. I could bet they were very sympathetic, very sorry, and even they said a prayer for man, and thought kindly about the mans plight. H ...[text shortened]... are with you.

Good deeds count. Good thoughts? They are dime a dozen and practically worthless.
    Proverbs 23:7a & 4:23
    For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Luke 6:45
    A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Speak on Rajk.

BTW, I don't do Facebook, twitter or tweety.

"One kind deed is worth 1000 kind thoughts". Did you learn that from Jesus? Did Jesus say that?

Hyporajk.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:10
    @secondson said
    A person is what they think because what they think is what they say and do.
    Thoughts do not always manifest themselves in deeds. Thoughts that remain merely part of one's inner life - and do not manifest themselves in actual deeds - do not have much meaning in terms of who a person really is relative to others.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:17
    @secondson said
    Proverbs 23:7a & 4:23
    For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Luke 6:45
    A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth sp ...[text shortened]... d is worth 1000 kind thoughts"[/b]. Did you learn that from Jesus? Did Jesus say that?

Hyporajk.
    You said this nonsense .. A person is what they think because what they think is what they say and do. Thinking starts the process. Everything else follows thought..

Your Proverbs reference, actually contradicts you. Here it is

Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words. (Proverbs 23:6-8 KJV)

Here we have a man thinking evil thoughts but speaking nice words. This is the complete opposite of what you say. Solomon is advising that to keep away from such people, who think one thing and say another. The man says eat and drink but clearly does not want you to eat and drink.

As usual the bible dies not support your statements.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:20
    @secondson said
    People are best defined by how they impact and interact with those around them. For instance, it is understandable why someone who does nothing and affects no one is, colloquially, referred to as a "nobody". Thoughts that do not lead to action - when it comes to the definition of an individual in the context of those around them - are neither here nor there.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:20
    @fmf said
    Thoughts do not always manifest themselves in deeds. Thoughts that remain merely part of one's inner life - and do not manifest themselves in actual deeds - do not have much meaning in terms of who a person really is relative to others.
    A person is who and what they are internally. The lack of external manifestations notwithstanding.

What do you mean by "relative to others"?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:21
    @fmf said
    You would think that should be obvious but for Christians, thinking and talking is the critically important thing. Action means nothing to them. This failed doctrine appears all over Christianity. Paul in 1 Cor 13 explains in detail and warns that talking and thinking without good deeds is just a clanging symbal.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:27
    @secondson said
    What do you mean by "relative to others"?
    We are social creatures. If a person does not have any impact on their human environment or does not interact with other people - if their individual identity has no substance of this kind - whatever they are thinking about is, in practical terms, rather moot [their inner lives and perceived-in-the-first-person narratives aside].
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:40
    @fmf said
    We are social creatures. If a person does not have any impact on their human environment or does not interact with other people - if their individual identity has no substance of this kind - whatever they are thinking about is, in practical terms, rather moot [their inner lives and perceived-in-the-first-person narratives aside].
    Any interactions, or lack there of, is as a result of what is or isn't going on internally.

Each individual chooses to act based on who and what they are internally. Thinking>saying>doing. That's the order. That's my only point.

I don't know what your point is.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:46
    @secondson said
    Any interactions, or lack there of, is as a result of what is or isn't going on internally.
    What is or isn't "going on internally" doesn't amount to anything if it does not manifest itself in action.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:47
    @secondson said
    Each individual chooses to act based on who and what they are internally.
    If an individual chooses to act then we can see who they are.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 21:47
    @secondson said
    I don't know what your point is.
    Oh, well. Never mind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree