1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 00:09
    Originally posted by @black-beetle
    Yes; for he tries to explain that a new religion is not what is needed.

What is indeed needed, is a free from superstitions clear mind.
    No religion😵
    No bias there.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 12:25
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    No bias there.
    You look back at the last 2000 years of religion and you find death and destruction rampant from religious wars. But of course it's NEVER the fault of the religion ONLY the fault of faulty people.

I hope there comes a time when humanity grows up and out of the need for superstitions like religions, the biggest scam of the past 10,000 years.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 16:55
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    You look back at the last 2000 years of religion and you find death and destruction rampant from religious wars. But of course it's NEVER the fault of the religion ONLY the fault of faulty people.

I hope there comes a time when humanity grows up and out of the need for superstitions like religions, the biggest scam of the past 10,000 years.
    I hate playing devil's advocate here, but religion was crucial to our rise from muck to civilization (a journey we haven't completed yet).
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 21:081 edit

It’s always the fault of people who choose! Why do you want to disconnect people from the choices they make to blame religion, do you do the same thing with guns?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 21:24
    It’s always the fault of people who choose! Why do you want to disconnect people from the choices they make to blame religion, do you do the same thing with guns?
    Atheists don't like free will. Free will allows people to make poor choices which cause pain and, therefore, is unacceptable.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 18:27
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Atheists don't like free will. Free will allows people to make poor choices which cause pain and, therefore, is unacceptable.
    No.
    It has nothing to do with free will; the rigid religious dogma and the blind belief that this dogma is the so called "Absolute Truth" are some of the factors that make the concept of religion ugly.

For example, the dangerous discrimination of the persons which are to Christians either “brothers” or “children of Satan”, is clearly a mental product grounded solely on a religious blind belief that must be accepted as is under all circumstances, regardless of one's free will. Over here, a Christian has no choice at all. It follows that anybody who is not a Christian, will be by definition for ever and ever a "child of Satan" merely because he choose to follow another religious path😵
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 20:07
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Atheists don't like free will.
    What? Are you on drugs?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 11:55
    I castigate religions because of the written in stone biblical and Quranic text stating, you are either with us or against us. Just how much sense does that make for the three major religions all considering Abraham to be a prophet and such, instead, making enemies of those worshipping basically the same god.

That alone tells me a god was not involved in the manufacturing of these religions.

Show me how a god would make religions fly at each other's throats.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 15:02
    I castigate religions because of the written in stone biblical and Quranic text stating, you are either with us or against us. Just how much sense does that make for the three major religions all considering Abraham to be a prophet and such, instead, making enemies of those worshipping basically the same god.

That alone tells me a god was not involved ...[text shortened]... uring of these religions.

Show me how a god would make religions fly at each other's throats.
    Well, you what are you suggesting that in your stance, you castigate religions because they
    are not with you, what does make you?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 15:03
    No.
    It has nothing to do with free will; the rigid religious dogma and the blind belief that this dogma is the so called "Absolute Truth" are some of the factors that make the concept of religion ugly.

For example, the dangerous discrimination of the persons which are to Christians either “brothers” or “children of Satan”, is clearly a mental prod ...[text shortened]... for ever and ever a "child of Satan" merely because he choose to follow another religious path😵
    Every learning and never coming to knowledge.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 18:45
    Originally posted by @avalanchethecat
    What? Are you on drugs?
    No drugs, avalanchethecat, just pure religious dogma.

When the scientists build their ideas based on the concept of synthesis and the philosophers analyze abstract ideas advancing us human beings, the theologians keep up screwing relentlessly thunderbolts in broken chairs with rusty chainsaws whilst their sophisticated audiences applause, applause, applause😵
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 20:57
    Well, you what are you suggesting that in your stance, you castigate religions because they
    are not with you, what does make you?
    That makes me a target from both religions. What do you think would happen if I was in ISIS Syria and said Mohummad is a LIAR or some such. Don't think I would last too long.
    And the same for some ultra right wing Christians.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 11:38
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I hate playing devil's advocate here, but religion was crucial to our rise from muck to civilization (a journey we haven't completed yet).
    Nο.

Our development is not grounded on blind religious beliefs but on the products of our nature alone. Our nature is the nature of the mind (mind understood as mental activity, that is).
    Of cource, this nature of ours not only is not sinful, but is also naturally pure of all fleeting stains although under specific causes and conditions it may suffer from emotional obscurations (disturbing emotions and attitudes) and cognitive obscurations (problematic knowables), causing differ problems on certain levels.

These fleeting obscurations of our mental activities (mind) are overcomed solely by means of concrete evaluation of whatever we happen to perceive. The accurate evaluation of the mind is grounded on science, philosophy and deep meditation as regards every single one aspect of reality we happen to perceive in the realms of the Physical World and our Inner World (our feelings and our ideas).

So I argue that the cornerstones of our civilization are Science, Philosophy and Meditation. Religion is simply a problematic mental product of ours, brought on by our struggle to embrace the kosmic chaos by means of answering our deep ignorance over specific issues with blind beliefs and superstitions. The more our societies progress from deep ignorance to concrete knowledge, the more we need religion less.
    😵
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 19:13
    That makes me a target from both religions. What do you think would happen if I was in ISIS Syria and said Mohummad is a LIAR or some such. Don't think I would last too long.
    And the same for some ultra right wing Christians.
    BIG DEAL, walk on the south side of Chicago find some people who do not believe or
    care about God, you could find yourself dead there too. People, make the choices!
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 19:14
    Nο.

Our development is not grounded on blind religious beliefs but on the products of our nature alone. Our nature is the nature of the mind (mind understood as mental activity, that is).
    Of cource, this nature of ours not only is not sinful, but is also naturally pure of all fleeting stains although under specific causes and conditions it may suff ...[text shortened]... ieties progress from deep ignorance to concrete knowledge, the more we need religion less.
    😵
    So you say!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree