1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:481 edit
    Originally posted by Crita
    Only in God's eyes.
    Not in your eyes?

If they are wrong in God's eyes, and if God is always correct, why wouldn't you trust God and agree that they are wrong?
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    But you just told me you wouldn't murder your son if God commanded you to.

You are speaking with a forked tongue, because your incoherent position forces you to.
    Ok, I see your point now - I wouldn't murder my son because I don't have enough faith in God (I doubt He would ever ask me to). That doesn't mean I think it's the right thing to do. I would know I had done the wrong thing by not doing what God commanded me to do.

Can you see that just because I am too weak to obey a command doesn't mean that I think what I'm doing is right?
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:52
    Not in your eyes?

If they are wrong in God's eyes, and if God is always correct, why wouldn't you trust God and agree that they are wrong?
    Ah, now we are back to the start - I would think what they did was stupid and I wouldn't do it, but it's not my place to judge them for it - that's God's.

And you're exactly right - I trust God to the extent that I don't need to take it into my own hands and judge the person for breaking the command.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:532 edits
    I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to answer my questions now, Dr. S., instead of throwing questions and looking for flaws in our answers. I'd genuinely like to know your response.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:53
    Ok, I see your point now - I wouldn't murder my son because I don't have enough faith in God (I doubt He would ever ask me to). That doesn't mean I think it's the right thing to do. I would know I had done the wrong thing by not doing what God commanded me to do.

Can you see that just because I am too weak to obey a command doesn't mean that I think what I'm doing is right?
    Just to clarify, if God asks you to sacrifice your son on an altar, your position is that it is morally correct to sacrifice your son on an altar?

Further, it is also your position that after deliberating on the matter, you would choose the morally incorrect course of action?

What do these two things say about you as a person?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:54
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to answer my questions now, Dr. S.
    I already have. I asked you the last question after answering yours.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:55
    Ah, now we are back to the start - I would think what they did was stupid and I wouldn't do it, but it's not my place to judge them for it - that's God's.
    And if God judges it to be wrong, you would agree with God, correct?
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:56
    I already have. I asked you the last question after answering yours.
    "I'd like you to answer a question since you've only been doing the asking.

What should we do in the face of people of other religions? Should we discriminate against them? Should we disassociate from them? Should we criticize them and their religion?"
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:57
    Just to clarify, if God asks you to sacrifice your son on an altar, your position is that it is morally correct to sacrifice your son on an altar?

Further, it is also your position that after deliberating on the matter, you would choose the morally incorrect course of action?

What do these two things say about you as a person?
    Depends on what morality we're applying to this situation.

After deliberating on the matter, I would not be able to rely enough on my faith in God and would therefore not sacrifice my son, disobeying God. (Morals again depends on the morality we're talking about)

And what would that say about me as a person? - That I am human.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:57

What should we do in the face of people of other religions? Should we discriminate against them? Should we disassociate from them? Should we criticize them and their religion?"
    Of course.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:582 edits
    Depends on what morality we're applying to this situation.
    That's what I'm trying to get you to decide. Which morality supersedes which when the two conflict?
  12. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 05:00
    Of course.
    So, where should the discrimination end? Discriminatory laws? Violence?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 05:042 edits
    So, where should the discrimination end? Discriminatory laws? Violence?
    It depends on the particulars of the faith in question.

For example, there are Mormon sects whose male leaders force and manipulate children in their community into sex and polygamous marriages, believing it is their God-given right. I believe the government ought to uphold laws against such behavior, initiating violent apprehension and detention if necessary.
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 05:06
    And if God judges it to be wrong, you would agree with God, correct?
    I would agree that it is wrong for me. Who am I to say that something is wrong for someone else?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 05:072 edits
    Who am I to say that something is wrong for someone else?
    I see. So, you are saying that's God's law is a sort of relative morality. What is wrong for you under God's law may be right for somebody else. For example, there might be some people for whom committing murder is morally correct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree