A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Then you are a very bad person. I hereby judge you.
I'm glad you finally made up your mind and deemed me a terrible person because I answered one of your twisted traps.

Although I am admittedly tired of this twisted debate, you still have given me no legitimate reason why I should not practice religious tolerance.

Therefore, I will continue to "...extend religious freedom to people of all religious traditions, even though [I] may well disagree with their beliefs and/or practices" until you give me a reason not to.

Religious tolerance is the only way to solve religious disputes. Stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination, and violence are certainly not the answer.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wittywonka
That's why I'm saying, "assuming the story actually occurred." (Assuming that God did actually specify to do so...)
Well, let's assume that the Mormons are telling the truth about being granted by God the right to force children into sex. In that case, do you tolerate it?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

And further to that, what gives me the right to think I'm (or my morality is) better than them?
The very evidence that compels you to adhere to yours and not theirs. Duh.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Well, you can start by pondering whether your beliefs are justified, whether the evidence available to you indicates that your beliefs are more likely to be true than false. Have you done this? If so, then it doesn't make sense to worry about whether you're as wrong as the next guy, since all of the evidence indicates that you're not.
A fair point, but isn't it just easier to look after your own beliefs rather than worry about what someone else believes?

I tell you one thing, the world would be a much better place if that happened more often. Don't you agree?

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

The very evidence that compels you to adhere to yours and not theirs. Duh.
But that 'evidence' is only relevant to me and my situation, not theirs. Perhaps they have all equally credible evidence to the contrary.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
4 edits

Originally posted by Crita

A fair point, but isn't it just easier to look after your own beliefs rather than worry about what someone else believes?

I tell you one thing, the world would be a much better place if that happened more often. Don't you agree?
No.

Hitler believed Jews ought to be exterminated. Stalin believed Communism ought to be imposed on the world. Hussein believed women ought to wear full body covering and be stoned to death for adultery. Educators in the United States once believed that children ought not be taught the theory of evolution, and before that, they believed that blacks ought not go to school with whites, and before that, they believed that blacks ought to be owned by whites.

The world becomes a better place only when erroneous beliefs are challenged.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Jun 07

I'm glad you finally made up your mind and deemed me a terrible person because I answered one of your twisted traps.

Although I am admittedly tired of this twisted debate, you still have given me no legitimate reason why I should not practice religious tolerance.

Therefore, I will continue to "...extend religious freedom to people of all religious t ...[text shortened]... isputes. Stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination, and violence are certainly not the answer.
One of the things that I find maddening about Dr. S. is his insistence that you work through the clues he drops, to a rational conclusion—rather than simply taking you through the steps.

However: (1) that way, once you get it, you’ll never forget it (it really is good pedagogical technique); and (2) if you’re stuck, and you ask for help, he is likely to provide—at least enough for you to continue.

If you don’t ask, he’ll just keep plugging at you. And if he thinks you’re asking out of simple laziness... :'(

(I also happened to be re-reading some stuff from Atlas Shrugged today, and so I know where he is coming from on this.)

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

No.

Hitler believed Jews ought to be exterminated. Stalin believed Communism ought to be imposed on the world. Hussein believed women ought to wear full body covering and be stoned to death for adultery. Educators in the United States once believed that children ought not be taught the theory of evolution, and before that, they believed that ...[text shortened]... wned by whites.

As far as I could infer, he was talking about religious beliefs.

And as we've come to grips with (at least I hope), there's a difference in a religious practice and a practice in the name of religion.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

No.

Hitler believed Jews ought to be exterminated. Stalin believed Communism ought to be imposed on the world. Hussein believed women ought to wear full body covering and be stoned to death for adultery. Educators in the United States once believed that children ought not be taught the theory of evolution, and before that, they believed that ...[text shortened]... wned by whites.

I'm refering to religious beliefs. But I see your point.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

As far as I could infer, he was talking about religious beliefs.
I don't discriminate between religious beliefs and other beliefs. If a belief is wrong, I have no qualms about challenging it, regardless of whether it is religiously or otherwise derived.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by vistesd
One of the things that I find maddening about Dr. S. is his insistence that you work through the clues he drops, to a rational conclusion—rather than simply taking you through the steps.

However: (1) that way, once you get it, you’ll never forget it (it really is good pedagogical technique); and (2) if you’re stuck, and you ask for help, he is lik ...[text shortened]... ng some stuff from Atlas Shrugged today, and so I know where he is coming from on this.)
Mr vistesd,

Would you be so kind as to tell me if I was erroneous in any of my arguments with Dr Scribbles earlier?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by vistesd

However: (1) that way, once you get it, you’ll never forget it (it really is good pedagogical technique); and (2) if you’re stuck, and you ask for help, he is lik ...[text shortened]... ng some stuff from Atlas Shrugged today, and so I know where he is coming from on this.)
In that case, I ask now with all posts forgotten, all angers aside.

Dr. S.,

Do you think that people across the world should "extend religious freedom to people of all [genuine*] religious traditions, even though [they] may well disagree with their beliefs and/or practices"?

*By genuine, I am specifying again: religious practices, not practices in the name of religion.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

I'm refering to religious beliefs. But I see your point.
What in your mind constitutes a religious belief such that it can be distinguished from a non-religious belief?

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

I don't discriminate between religious beliefs and other beliefs. If a belief is wrong, I have no qualms about challenging it, regardless of whether it is religiously or otherwise derived.
Wrong according to who?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

Mr vistesd,

Would you be so kind as to tell me if I was erroneous in any of my arguments with Dr Scribbles earlier?
Same question from me.