A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Trust me, you're the one to blame for this. I've been trying to break us out of the orbit, and you are the one persisting in equivocating and speaking out of both sides of your mouth. I can call in some impartial judges for a second opinion if you don't believe me.
Go for it! I would love to hear what they had to say.

It's not that I keep equivocating, it's that my stance and answer to the questions you keep asking do not line up with the point you are trying to prove.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by Crita
Go for it! I would love to hear what they had to say.

It's not that I keep equivocating, it's that my stance and answer to the questions you keep asking do not line up with the point you are trying to prove.
Hardly. The issue is that your stance is as elusive as a square circle due to its inconsistency.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Then you are a very bad person.
Why? Because I refuse to judge another person or force them to believe what I do?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

Was Abraham's hauling his son to the altar to slay him a religious act? Would you have tolerated the slaying?
Although I believe there is much more behind this story than you present, as I said earlier, the actions mentioned earlier were "allegedly" God-directed. In the story of Abraham, God comes right out and says it.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Hardly. The issue is that your stance is as elusive as a square circle due to its inconsistency.
No, I disagree. If there are any points of my beliefs/stance that you don't understand then please ask me to explain it and I'll try - you'll find it all adds up in the end (otherwise I wouldn't believe it - I'm not as dumb as you may think).

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Why? Because I refuse to judge another person or force them to believe what I do?
No, because you believe that murder may be morally correct for some people.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
Although I believe there is much more behind this story than you present, as I said earlier, the actions mentioned earlier were "allegedly" God-directed. In the story of Abraham, God comes right out and says it.
Was Abraham's hauling his son to the altar to slay him a religious act? Would you have tolerated the slaying?

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

No, because you believe that murder may be morally correct for some people.
No, I never said that. I will never know if how they acted (murdering someone) was the right or wrong thing to do according to THEIR morality. How would I know that?

And since I don't know, how could I say that it would never happen? That would be ludicrous (sp?).

Why am I a bad person for someone else's morality telling them it's OK to murder someone? That's absurd.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07
2 edits

You aren't reading what I'm saying. Yes, it was a religious act of faith. Yes, assuming the event acutally happened, I would have tolerated it because God explicitly told him to do so. Members of religions who act in terrible ways "in the name of God"; this does not mean God ordered them to do so, in which case, I would not tolerate their actions.

Don't blow right through what I'm saying.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

No, I never said that. I will never know if how they acted (murdering someone) was the right or wrong thing to do according to THEIR morality. How would I know that?

And since I don't know, how could I say that it would never happen? That would be ludicrous (sp?).

Why am I a bad person for someone else's morality telling them it's OK to murder someone? That's absurd.
You're a bad person for not judging and criticizing their erroneous conception of morality.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

You aren't reading what I'm saying. Yes, it was a religious act of faith. Yes, assuming the event acutally happened, I would have tolerated it [b]because God explicitly said to. Members of religions who act in terrible ways "in the name of God" does not mean God ordered them to do so, in which case, I would not tolerate their actions.

Don't blow right through what I'm saying.[/b]
Sorry to sound like I'm on the Doctor's side but -

How would you know by watching whether or not God had actually commanded Abraham to do it?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Yes, assuming the event acutally happened, I would have tolerated it [b]because God explicitly said to. [/b]
Then you are a very bad person. I hereby judge you.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

Sorry to sound like I'm on the Doctor's side but -

How would you know by watching whether or not God had actually commanded Abraham to do it?
That's why I'm saying, "assuming the story actually occurred." (Assuming that God did actually specify to do so...)

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

You're a bad person for not judging and criticizing their erroneous conception of morality.
Ok then, I'm a bad person in your eyes (or according to your morality).

I believe that I am in no position to judge them or their erroneous concept of morality. What if I'm just as wrong in what I believe as they are?

And further to that, what gives me the right to think I'm (or my morality is) better than them?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

What if I'm just as wrong in what I believe as they are?
Well, you can start by pondering whether your beliefs are justified, whether the evidence available to you indicates that your beliefs are more likely to be true than false. Have you done this? If so, then it doesn't make sense to worry about whether you're as wrong as the next guy, since all of the evidence indicates that you're not.