1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 03:42
    Originally posted by Crita
    It's not a question of tolerating their behaviour or 'saying that it is acceptable', it's about respecting their right to exercise their free will and not judging them for it.

It is always considered virtuous to refrain from passing judgement.
    Thank you for explaining this. I felt the same way, but I couldn't find adequate words to articulate my position.
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 03:47
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Thank you for explaining this. I felt the same way, but I couldn't find adequate words to articulate my position.
    Not a problem. (I'd like to say 'any time' but I'm rarely that lucid! lol)

I almost didn't post it (I seldom post in the Spirituality forum anymore) but then something* prompted me to.

Glad I could help 🙂

* I would say God prompted me, but this would only illicit a scathing rhetoric from scottishinnz or Dr Scribbles et al)
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 03:531 edit

I respect their right to 'get their freak on' if they want to
    I see. It sounds like you're saying that there is a natural moral law that supersedes God's Commandments, if they have a right to violate the Seventh Commandment which you are compelled to respect.
  4. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:04
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I see. It sounds like you're saying that there is a natural moral law that supersedes God's Commandments, if they have a right to violate the Seventh Commandment which you are compelled to respect.
    Oops! I thought adultery was the 6th and murder the 7th. My bad.

No, that's not what I'm saying and I apologise for making it sound like that's what I was saying. There are certainly some natural physical urges (i.e. freaking) that are acceptable in certain contexts (i.e. marriage) but not in others. That doesn't mean that they supersede God's commandments or guidance. The very reason God's commandments/guidance exist is to show us how to best live and in how to 'control' (for lack of a better word) the natural urges in a way that will prevent us from hurting ourselves or others and provide us with the highest level of satisfaction from those urges.

In a nut shell - just because I feel like murdering someone, I'm not going to, because I trust God and that He wants the best for me and He has advised me not to do it.

And the fact that I feel 'compelled to respect' a commandment that someone else doesn't, that doesn't mean I should judge them for it or that I am any better than them.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:09
    Deuteronomy 4:13 (New International Version)

"He declared to you his covenant, the Ten Commandments, which he commanded you to follow and then wrote them on two stone tablets."

Where does it say that we must impose the ten commandments onto people of other faiths, and that if they do not accept them, that we should become intolerant of their religion? It simply commands us to follow them, not to disrespect those who do not.

If your interpretation of this verse is to show no tolerance towards people of other faiths, so be it. I'll show tolerance to your interpretation, even if I do not agree with it.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:091 edit
    Oops! I thought adultery was the 6th and murder the 7th. My bad.

No, that's not what I'm saying and I apologise for making it sound like that's what I was saying. There are certainly some natural physical urges (i.e. freaking) that are acceptable in certain contexts (i.e. marriage) but not in others. That doesn't mean that they supersede God's commandments 't, that doesn't mean I should judge them for it or that I am any better than them.
    Which supersedes which: the Seventh Commandment, or the right to violate the Seventh Commandment?
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:11
    ...the fact that I feel 'compelled to respect' a commandment that someone else doesn't...doesn't mean I should judge them for it or that I am any better than them.
    Exactly.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:11

In a nut shell - just because I feel like murdering someone, I'm not going to, because I trust God and that He wants the best for me and He has advised me not to do it.
    Because? That's really the reason you have to not murder? If God hadn't commanded against it, you would murder when you feel the urge?
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:16
    Which supersedes which: the Seventh Commandment, or the right to violate the Seventh Commandment?
    It's not a 'right' to violate a commandment, it's a choice.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:16

Where does it say that we must impose the ten commandments onto people of other faiths
    You're not of the same faith as the people of Deuteronomy. Do the Commandments apply to you?
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:182 edits
    It's not a 'right' to violate a commandment, it's a choice.
    You are speaking in blatant contradictions, as you previously said:

"I respect their right to 'get their freak on' if they want to"

and

"it's about respecting their right to exercise their free will"
  12. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:21
    [b]Because? That's really the reason you have to not murder? If God hadn't commanded against it, you would murder when you feel the urge?[/b]
    I see your point. Just quickly, let's apply the same analogy to freaking. In that case, yes, I most definitely would have done the horizontal mambo with my girlfriend many many times. 😛

Ok, back to murder - no, I wouldn't murder someone even if God hadn't commanded me too because I have some sort of inner 'natural morality' that says it is wrong (everyone has it, but it differs from person to person).

In the case of freaking, my inner natural morality would say it's OK to freak with my girlfriend, but not with her best friend.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:23

Ok, back to murder - no, I wouldn't murder someone even if God hadn't commanded me too because I have some sort of inner 'natural morality' that says it is wrong (everyone has it, but it differs from person to person).
    Oh, thank God. If you were Abraham, you wouldn't have taken your son to the altar then, correct?
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:23
    You're not of the same faith as the people of Deuteronomy. Do the Commandments apply to you?
    What are you saying?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:24
    What are you saying?
    I'm saying your position is incoherent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree