Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:26
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You are speaking in blatant contradictions, as you previously said:

"I respect their [b]right
    to 'get their freak on' if they want to"

and

"it's about respecting their right to exercise their free will"[/b]
    Thanks - I read the first part of your post and was worried that I had contridicted myself (it happens all the time 😀) but then I read the last part of your post which made it clearer.

Everybody has a 'right' to exercise their free will. However, it's not a 'right' that you earn or are born with to violate a commandment, it's a choice. They can exercise their free will and choose to violate the commandment.

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but 'right' has a connotation of there being no consequences for violating the commandment.
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:27
    I'm saying your position is incoherent.
    I figured that out after your first handful of posts.

I'm asking how.
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:30
    Oh, thank God. If you were Abraham, you wouldn't have taken your son to the altar then, correct?
    First of all - yes, there is no way I would have done what Abraham did. I don't have anywhere near as much faith as he did and I would have a hard time believing I wasn't going crazy if I thought God told me to sacrifice the fulfilment of His promise. I greatly admire Abraham for his ability to do what he did and trust God so unconditionally. Does that make me a bad person for not having as much faith?

And secondly - that doesn't really illustrate the point I think you're trying to make as this is a case of God's 'commandment' condradicting the natural moral law which is the same as freaking before marriage.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:311 edit
    Originally posted by Crita

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but 'right' has a connotation of there being no consequences for violating the commandment.
    That's an absurd notion of "right." My notion of "right" does not imply that a right is something whose exercise has no consequences.

At any rate, does what you call the "right to exercise free will" supersede the God-given imperative to obey the Seventh Commandment?
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:35
    Oh, thank God. If you were Abraham, you wouldn't have taken your son to the altar then, correct?
    I think I just figured out where we got confused - I made a mistake in my previous in that it said I wouldn't murder someone even if God had commanded me too, when I meant to say I wouldn't murder someone even if God hadn't commanded me not to.

Does that help?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:35
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I figured that out after your first handful of posts.

I'm asking how.
    Do the Ten Commandments apply to you?
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:36
    I'd like you to answer a question since you've only been doing the asking.

What should we do in the face of people of other religions? Should we discriminate against them? Should we disassociate from them? Should we criticize them and their religion?
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:37
    Do the Ten Commandments apply to you?
    Yes; how does that relate to me not acting out towards a person that does not abide by them?
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:37
    I think I just figured out where we got confused - I made a mistake in my previous in that it said I wouldn't murder someone even if God had commanded me too, when I meant to say I wouldn't murder someone even if God hadn't commanded me not to.

Does that help?
    It just serves to clarify that you think there is a natural moral law that supersedes God's law, that you will decide to follow God's laws only when they are consistent with what you deem to be naturally right.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:38
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Yes
    Why? Are you of the same faith as the people in Deuteronomy?
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:42
    That's an absurd notion of "right." My notion of "right" does not imply that a right is something whose exercise has no consequences.

At any rate, does what you call the "right to exercise free will" supersede the God-given imperative to obey the Seventh Commandment?
    Yeah, I'm a fairly absurd type of guy 🙄

I'm trying to say that one cannot have a 'right' as such to violate a commandment as the commandments apply to all and sundry and the people that are violating the commandments (myself included) are exercising their free will not to follow the commandment, but have not been given a right to violate the commandment (if you follow my logic).

It's not really a case of 'superseding'. Free will is not an excuse not to obey a command, in that God still expects you to obey His commands regardless of what you feel like doing. HOWEVER, people can choose not to obey His commands if they so wish. (If you can't tell, I'm finding it quite difficult to convey my meaning clearly - my lucidity has vanished once again)
  12. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:44
    It just serves to clarify that you think there is a natural moral law that supersedes God's law, that you will decide to follow God's laws only when they are consistent with what you deem to be naturally right.
    Nope - back to front - I will follow God's laws when they are NOT consistent with what I deem to be naturally right (i.e. not having 'relations' with my gf before marriage). When God's law and natural law line up, you can take your pick as to which I follow, it doesn't really matter in those cases.

Sorry if I've confused you! Thanks for sticking in there 😉
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:45
    HOWEVER, people can choose not to obey His commands if they so wish.
    But when they do so, they are in the wrong, correct?
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:46
    Nope - back to front - I will follow God's laws when they are NOT consistent with what I deem to be naturally right
    But you just told me you wouldn't murder your son if God commanded you to.

You are speaking with a forked tongue, because your incoherent position forces you to.
  15. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 04:46
    But when they do so, they are in the wrong, correct?
    Only in God's eyes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree