1. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 16:57
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    So Christians who become atheists were never real Christians?
    Correct!
  2. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 16:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Who else but Spaghetti monster could invent God?

And who says DNA was invented anyway? What does it mean to 'invent'?
    I meant create not invent sorry.
  3. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 17:00
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    This has been so completely taken apart on these very forums that no sensible person could possibly take it seriously. It presents numerous false choices, and does not allow the selection of valid choices.

More rubbish. Nothing, no-one, over the last 4 years has managed to provide even the slightest shred of credible evidence. You think you can? Good luck.

p.s. give me $100.
    I cannot prove anything to you. You've hardened your heart.
  4. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 17:02
    The complexity of nature is explained by Darwin.

Where's my $100??
    Darwin later regretted what his teachings were doing to how people thought about Christianity which leads me to think that he didn't intend to do it.
  5. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 17:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But you have claimed that his complexity is [b]proof that he was invented. So either your proof is wrong, or God was invented. You cannot have it both ways.[/b]
    I never wrote that nature's complexity is proof that he was invented! You interpreted it wrong. The complexity of nature proves there is a God NOT THAT HE WAS INVENTED.
  6. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 17:071 edit
    A bigger fool? Yet he was a born-again for 13 years.

Can you definitively say, without being omniscient, that YOU will be a Christian in 13 years time? Didn't think so....

So what's this "historical evidence" then?
    Have you ever heard of Josephus? He was the Jewish historian who was hired by the Romans to chronicle events and he does in fact mention a Jesus who was crucified! Not believing that he was the Son of God is one thing but to believe that he didn't even exist is simply ridiculous.

............And yes I can dfinitively say without hesitation that I will be a believer in Christ Jesus until the day I die whether that's tomorrow or 13 years from now.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 19:40
    One could substitute a multitude of nouns for God in the "test"--love, compassion, greed, friendship, peace, contentment, hatred, lust, soul...and though I can't answer 'yes' to any of the pertinent questions (1-5), I know they all exist. MORE than exist, they are extremely powerful. I must then, give the test a failing grade.🙁
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 21:581 edit
    Originally posted by chappy1
    Have you ever heard of Josephus? He was the Jewish historian who was hired by the Romans to chronicle events and he does in fact mention a Jesus who was crucified! Not believing that he was the Son of God is one thing but to believe that he didn't even exist is simply ridiculous.

............And yes I can dfinitively say without hesitation that I will be a believer in Christ Jesus until the day I die whether that's tomorrow or 13 years from now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus#Testimonium_Flavianum

Looks like it's not as cut and dried as you think. In fact, reading through this, it looks like Josephus largely copied his information about Jesus from Luke's gospel. There is no evidence that Josephus actually knew or had met Jesus.

"One of the earliest ecclesiastical authorities to condemn the Testimonium Flavianum as a forgery was Bishop Warburton of Gloucester (circa 1770). He described it as "a rank forgery, and a very stupid one, too."

And no, you cannot see the future. Now you are simply lying. Not that I expect too much more from the majority of Christians.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 22:00
    Correct!
    Then we can never know who is a true Christian, because we cannot know whether they will eventually become atheists. In fact, you cannot know if you are Christian - perhaps you will abandon your conviction in God tomorrow.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 22:01
    Darwin later regretted what his teachings were doing to how people thought about Christianity which leads me to think that he didn't intend to do it.
    There is no evidence to support that. Contrary to what you may have read, Darwin never recanted his work on his deathbed, that is simply hyperbole invented by unscrupulous people.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 22:02
    I cannot prove anything to you. You've hardened your heart.
    Yes you can. I'm very objective. In my job, I have to be. You just don't have anything approaching a body of evidence that any reasonable person should find convincing.
  12. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 00:43
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Then we can never know who is a true Christian, because we cannot know whether they will eventually become atheists. In fact, you cannot know if you are Christian - perhaps you will abandon your conviction in God tomorrow.
    You can know a true Christian by his actions.
  13. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 00:47
    There is no evidence to support that. Contrary to what you may have read, Darwin never recanted his work on his deathbed, that is simply hyperbole invented by unscrupulous people.
    LOL, oh really.
  14. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 00:48
    Yes you can. I'm very objective. In my job, I have to be. You just don't have anything approaching a body of evidence that any reasonable person should find convincing.
    I cannot prove anything to you because that's not my job. The only person who can bring you to him is God/Holy Spirit..........so I'll hope for the best.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 00:56
    You can know a true Christian by his actions.
    I have known virtuous people, whose actions exactly conform to gospel ethics, but who eventually became atheists. Were they never Christians?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree