A Thread Not About Something

A Thread Not About Something

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fmf
"Foist"?

"Professional help"?
dictionary?

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @lemon-lime
dictionary?
I know what the words mean. The problem is that you are babbling.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Aug 18

I know what the words mean. The problem is that you are babbling.
You weren't supposed to understand it.
I was sending a coded message to sonship. You don't have a decoder ring, but we do.

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

You weren't supposed to understand it.
I was sending a coded message to sonship. You don't have a decoder ring, but we do.
You say you were once an atheist, so you ought to realize that one has to believe in a divine law in order to believe in "sin". sonship's remarks directed at me assume that I believe in "sin", which is silly. And your efforts to tag along have been even more silly.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Aug 18
1 edit

You say you were once an atheist, so you ought to realize that one has to believe in a divine law in order to believe in "sin". sonship's remarks directed at me assume that I believe in "sin", which is silly. And your efforts to tag along have been even more silly.
No, what is silly is you objecting to the word "sin".

You cannot logically acknowledge the difference between right and wrong and at the same time claim there is no such thing as "wrong". No one has to believe in a divine law in order to recognize this... it's built into us.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Aug 18

No, what is silly is your objection to the word "sin".

You cannot logically acknowledge the difference between right and wrong and at the same time claim there is no such thing as "wrong". No one has to believe in a divine law in order to recognize this... it's built into us.
I absolutely believe in 'wrong.'

But as an atheist, and If I do something wrong, 'who' am I 'sinning' against exactly?

Doesn't 'sin' become obsolete when God is removed from the equation?

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

No, what is silly is you objecting to the word "sin".
It's not silly at all. A "sin" is a transgression of divine law. I am an atheist. "Sinning" is a notion in the minds of theists who believe there is a divine law.

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

Of course I can differentiate between right and wrong. But one has to believe in a divine law in order to frame wrongdoing as "sinning". I am not a theist. And I have not claimed there is no such thing as wrong. That's something you have made up.

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

No one has to believe in a divine law in order to recognize [the difference between right and wrong]... it's built into us.
While I believe that, to some degree, the capacity to know the difference between right and wrong is a result of our nature, I believe the notion of "sin" results from nurture ~ as does all religionist thought and activity.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
I absolutely believe in 'wrong.'

But as an atheist, and If I do something wrong, 'who' am I 'sinning' against exactly?

Doesn't 'sin' become obsolete when God is removed from the equation?
From the atheist perspective you could either sin against yourself or someone else.
Sin doesn't become obsolete if you remove God from the equation... not seeing God in the picture does not automatically make sin disappear.

Look around you. Are we living in a perfect utopian world? Do you hear anyone complaining about anything? If you can answer yes to the first question and no to the second then maybe you're right... maybe there is no such thing as "sin".

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

From the atheist perspective you could either sin against yourself or someone else.
To "SIn" is to disobey God. From "the atheist perspective", there is no such thing.

F

Moves
07 Aug 18

Look around you. Are we living in a perfect utopian world? Do you hear anyone complaining about [b]anything? If you can answer yes to the first question and no to the second then maybe you're right... maybe there is no such thing as "sin".[/b]
There is such a thing as "sin"; it exists in the minds of people who believe in a god or gods and who believe there has been a divine law imposed upon humans. For people who do not believe in supernatural lawgivers, there is no such thing as "sin".

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
as expected...
Why are you replying to your own post as though it was someone else who wrote it?

Moves
07 Aug 18
1 edit

Why are you replying to your own post as though it was someone else who wrote it?
I'm not; but you were.

Someone else suggested you were using a second account but I am not convinced you are smart enough to pull that off [sic]

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Aug 18

Sin doesn't become obsolete if you remove God from the equation... not seeing God in the picture does not automatically make sin disappear.

Look around you. Are we living in a perfect utopian world? Do you hear anyone complaining about [b]anything
? If you can answ ...[text shortened]... question and no to the second then maybe you're right... maybe there is no such thing as "sin".[/b]
Sorry old chap but 'sin' is a meaningless word in an atheist context. Sin necessitates a moral lawgiver.

I can certainly 'wrong' someone (or even myself) by my own or societies standards of right and wrong, but that's the extent of it.