1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 00:39
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Problem is,what is a virtue?
    The way the word virtue is used should be determined from Aristotle's use of it, otherwise some meaning that he did not use in this discussion of happiness could bogusly lead to a faulty refutation.

I'm not defending Aristotle, by the way, I'm just throwing his ideas into the discussion.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 00:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do you believe that truth is always relative? If not, can you name any categories of truths that are absolute? For example, if one says, "You shall surely die," is he speaking a relative truth or an absolute truth?
    You'd need some context. If it is a doctor claiming you will surely die without a certain operation, it's relative. If he is claiming your death is inevitable regardless of anything else that might happen (including a miracle, a technology introduced by the Romulans, etc.) it is IMO absolute.

Of course, he could be absolutely or relatively wrong. 😉
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 01:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    "It's only true for those who see "happiness" as the ultimate goal."

OK that's fair. I am presenting a view. The view is that everyone does seek happiness as the "ultimate goal" if you want to use that term, so while there may be people who do not see happiness as the ultimate goal, it is still their ultimate goal. However it is not ultimate in one sense, i ...[text shortened]... s, these people are seeking to escape something that is essential to being human.
    So it would be better to discuss whether there is no one who does not seek happiness as an end in itself. Nothing is sought as an end in itself, except happiness, and other things are sought as a way to happiness.

Seems like you've basically come full circle. Not everyone seeks happiness as an end in itself. Only the self-centered do.

In both cases, these people are seeking to escape something that is essential to being human.

Can you elaborate on this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree