1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 19:45
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Every time a post like yours is made Christians feel threatened. The James passage, that religion is not pure unless there is charitable works and keeping away from worldliness, does not conform to their doctrine that faith alone leads to eternal life.

This passage and many like it confirm the truth of eternal life in the Kingdom of God for the Christian ...[text shortened]... card, Whodey is going to claim that nothing else is required, not even living in righteousness.
    Why then was the cross necessary?

Why not just tell people to do good works?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:10
    Originally posted by @whodey

I take that you didn't have a point after all then?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:12

I have answered this many times and you ignored the answer. So let me turn the question around and ask you [which I already did but you refused to answer], Is it your position that Jesus died so that you do not have to do any good works?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:171 edit
    Every time a post like yours is made Christians feel threatened. The James passage, that religion is not pure unless there is charitable works and keeping away from worldliness, does not conform to their doctrine that faith alone leads to eternal life.

This passage and many like it confirm the truth of eternal life in the Kingdom of God for the Christian ...[text shortened]... card, Whodey is going to claim that nothing else is required, not even living in righteousness.
    Your point here is not the point I'm making. I believe the two Christian philosophies exist in parallel; faith is the access to eternal life, and works is the enjoyment of it.

Jesus said
    Matthew 26:11 New International Version (NIV)The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

The point being possibly what whodey was driving at (in a hopeless way), that HE (Jesus) is our very great reward. The problem with polarising these truths is that we miss out on both. We cannot earn our salvation but we MUST earn reward in heaven.

I'm getting woolly now so I'll stop.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Your point here is not the point I'm making. I believe the two Christian philosophies exist in parallel; faith is the access to eternal life, and works is the enjoyment of it.

Jesus said
    Matthew 26:11 New International Version (NIV)The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

The point being possibly what whodey was d ...[text shortened]... ot earn our salvation but we MUST earn reward in heaven.

If what you say is true then the book of James is pointless and so is much of Paul who said that eternal life is only for those who live righteously .. not to mention all the times Jesus said it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:45
    If what you say is true then the book of James is pointless and so is much of Paul who said that eternal life is only for those who live righteously .. not to mention all the times Jesus said it.
    Yeah, I'm not buying that mate.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:47
    Yeah, I'm not buying that mate.
    Ok 🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 21:401 edit

Jesus said

The point being possibly what whodey was d ...[text shortened]... ot earn our salvation but we MUST earn reward in heaven.

That is pretty close.

The cross is at the heart of our faith. Our faith is in what was accomplished on that cross.

Without the cross and Jesus rising from the dead, the Christian faith is all vanity, as Paul stated.

Now to then say that good works mean nothing is absurd. Christ saves us through faith so that we are transformed to do good works.

The works, though, are not what save us. If it were, the cross is vanity.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 22:42
    That is pretty close.

The cross is at the heart of our faith. Our faith is in what was accomplished on that cross.

Without the cross and Jesus rising from the dead, the Christian faith is all vanity, as Paul stated.

Now to then say that good works mean nothing is absurd. Christ saves us through faith so that we are transformed to do good works.

The teachings of Jesus Christ should be at the heart of your faith. Nowhere would you find Jesus speaking of the cross or what was accomplished. So thats the first flaw in your religion.

Next you have half a gospel. You are saved by Christ but you cannot enter the kingdom of God and get eternal life unless you do good works and live righteously. Both are necessary. This is clearly explained by Paul. Saved yes, eternal life only when you live righteously. Thats flaw #2.

Next comes the big lie, that all Christians are transformed to do good works. If the world had 2 billion Christian people doing good works and living righteously the world would be a paradise.

Your church doctrine is false
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 22:48
    The teachings of Jesus Christ should be at the heart of your faith. Nowhere would you find Jesus speaking of the cross or what was accomplished. So thats the first flaw in your religion.

Next you have half a gospel. You are saved by Christ but you cannot enter the kingdom of God and get eternal life unless you do good works and live righteously. Both a ...[text shortened]... od works and living righteously the world would be a paradise.

Ok, how many good works till you are saved?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 23:02
    That is pretty close.

If you had actually read my OP you would have seen that I said that this is not about salvation. This is about true religion. True religion starts with James in the OP. Perhaps you don’t like that scripture.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 23:03
    The OP is not about salvation, try to get outside of your favourite churchy space old chap.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 23:13
    If your heart was truly transformed by the Holy Spirit you would not be asking these dumb questions over and over. In any event James answers your question. Read the opening post.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 00:09

Next you have half a gospel. You are saved by Christ but you cannot enter the kingdom of God and get eternal life unless you do good works and live righteously. Both a ...[text shortened]... od works and living righteously the world would be a paradise.

You assume that everyone who claims the name of Jesus actually is living for the Lord?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 02:32
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    You assume that everyone who claims the name of Jesus actually is living for the Lord?
    That is the doctrine preached by your Christian buddies

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree