1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 12:34
    I have a question for those here that believe that the Earth is only a few thousand years old. Do you also believe that the entire universe is thus only a few thousand years old?

Here's what I think. I think the universe is at least 13.2 billion years old. Why? Because the most distant observed galaxy is 13.2 billion light years away. If the universe wasn't at least that old then we wouldn't be able to see this galaxy.

I know we're not supposed to use logic on this forum but I thought this was worth mentioning and I was also curious what "young earthers" beliefs are in regards to the age of rest of the universe.

This page has a list of galaxies and their distances from Earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:09
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I have a question for those here that believe that the Earth is only a few thousand years old. Do you also believe that the entire universe is thus only a few thousand years old?

Here's what I think. I think the universe is at least 13.2 billion years old. Why? Because the most distant observed galaxy is 13.2 billion light years away. If the universe w ...[text shortened]... of galaxies and their distances from Earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies
    satan did it
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:291 edit

Here's what I think. I think the universe is at least 13.2 billion years old. Why? Because the most distant observed galaxy is 13.2 billion light years away. If the universe w of galaxies and their distances from Earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies
    Interesting post. You are making some assumptions of course:

1 That logic cannot be used in this forum
    2 That any proposed creation occurred via single point singularity (big bang)
    3 That if creation was a single point singularity, the 13.2bn years is directly linked to a time span where time is constant, and not relative to proximity and mass etc.

Who knows what "time" was early on in the "creation" of the universe; whether by a deity of by a fart in the cosmos
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:32

Here's what I think. I think the universe is at least 13.2 billion years old. Why? Because the most distant observed galaxy is 13.2 billion light years away. If the universe w ...[text shortened]... of galaxies and their distances from Earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies
    You assume a lot of things in your statement, like how everything started can
    be known just be looking at it.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting post. You are making some assumptions of course:

1 That logic cannot be used in this forum
    2 That any proposed creation occurred via single point singularity (big bang)
    3 That if creation was a single point singularity, the 13.2bn years is directly linked to a time span where time is constant, and not relative to proximity and mass etc. ...[text shortened]... as early on in the "creation" of the universe; whether by a deity of by a fart in the cosmos
    1. I was being facetious of course with my comment about using logic in this forum. Although quite often I see it ignored in favor of dogma.

2. I was making no assumption as to how the universe was created because quite honestly I don't know how it was created. At least I can admit it.

3. The assumption I am making is that light travels at a certain speed and that the distance to various galaxies is known. Are you arguing that these calculations are suspect?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You assume a lot of things in your statement, like how everything started can
    be known just be looking at it.
    Kelly
    The only assumptions I am making Kelly is that we know the distance of various celestial bodies including the galaxies listed and that we know how fast light travels. These things are no longer theories.

Are you arguing against this?

Do you not think that some of these celestial bodies are indeed many millions or even billiions of light years away?

Do you not think that light travels at at a top speed of roughly 186,000 miles per second?
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:40
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    satan did it
    Well Lucifer is the god of light after all.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 14:21
    Well Lucifer is the god of light after all.
    was. now he's being a jerk with putting fossils everywhere and making good christians believe in an old earth and thus dooming themselves to an eternity of pain and misery in hell. because satan loves himself some souls. needs as many as he can. apparently, the TV's in hell can only work on soul power.

satan loves his soaps
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 15:19
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    was. now he's being a jerk with putting fossils everywhere and making good christians believe in an old earth and thus dooming themselves to an eternity of pain and misery in hell. because satan loves himself some souls. needs as many as he can. apparently, the TV's in hell can only work on soul power.

satan loves his soaps
    I wonder if Satan/Lucifer considers his current role a promotion. It seems he gets a lot more attention (negative though it may be) these days.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 15:24
    I wonder if Satan/Lucifer considers his current role a promotion. It seems he gets a lot more attention (negative though it may be) these days.
    it kinda is a crappy job. he is supposed to collect the dregs of society that heaven doesn't want, and to torment them because heaven wants it. what is satan's purpose?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 17:142 edits
    1. I was being facetious of course with my comment about using logic in this forum. Although quite often I see it ignored in favor of dogma.

2. I was making no assumption as to how the universe was created because quite honestly I don't know how it was created. At least I can admit it.

3. The assumption I am making is that light travels at a certain ...[text shortened]... he distance to various galaxies is known. Are you arguing that these calculations are suspect?
    ASSUME makes an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME". Seriously, the Holy Bible
    says God stretched out the heavens. So we have no way of knowing how
    close the stars were together before God stretched out the heavens. Just
    as man being created as an adult would appear older than a few hours
    the heavens would also appear older than a few hours, if you get the logic.

P.S. Some scientist say the stars are moving away from us faster
    than the speed of life. If this is true, then that would mess up the
    calculations.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    the heavens would also appear older than a few hours, if you get the log ...[text shortened]... ster
    calculations.
    So is it your opinion then that there is no possibility that the universe is billions of years old or are you just cautioning me that there are other possibilities?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 17:59
    So is it your opinion then that there is no possibility that the universe is billions of years old or are you just cautioning me that there are other possibilities?
    We must not ignore the Holy Bible for it is the "word of truth".
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:02
    the heavens would also appear older than a few hours, if you get the log ...[text shortened]... ster
    calculations.
    "P.S. Some scientist say the stars are moving away from us faster
    calculations."

That could be, then again some stars could be moving towards us faster than the speed of light as well. I don't know if this proves anything one way or another other than the alignment of the universe is constantly changing which we already knew.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:05
    We must not ignore the Holy Bible for it is the "word of truth".
    So we must not believe that it is possible that the universe is billions of years old?

Should the study of Astronomy simply discontinue? I mean if all the answers are already in the bible then what can we gain by research?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree