1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 23:00
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    God does not send people to Hell , ultimately people send themselves , or had you forgotten about free will? There will be not a single person who genuinely asks for salvation who will be turned down. Everyone will be given a fair opportunity to receive Christ in a personal way , either in this life or the next so in the final reckoning heaven could ea ...[text shortened]... ysterious way. But then that depends on whether you think his presence is with us or not.
    Oh really? What if I want to reject god and not go to hell? How do I end up there, then? Who is forcing me, if not god? If I don't have the option of just being dead, then some external agent is sending me to hell. And that would be god.

This little game you play of saying it's people who send themselves to hell is not very convincing. We have to ask for salvation. If we don't, then we are sent to hell.

If your god just heaped reward upon the faithful, then maybe that would be OK. But by eternally punishing those who maintain a dissenting opinion, your god reveals himself to be a cruel monster. As someone else pointed out, it's only free will if I'm free to take or leave the salvation 'offer' without fear of punishment. If I'm to be punished for rejecting it, then it amounts to coersion. Then it becomes 'believe or else.'

Your assertion that people could "receive Christ without even realising it" simply boggles the mind. I'm no theologian, but I doubt you'll find many orthodox christians who would agree with that statement.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 23:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Oh really? What if I want to reject god and not go to hell? How do I end up there, then? Who is forcing me, if not god? If I don't have the option of just being dead, then some external agent is sending me to hell. And that would be god.

This little game you play of saying it's people who send themselves to hell is not very convincing. We have to ask fo ...[text shortened]... I doubt you'll find many orthodox christians who would agree with that statement.
    youre missing his point, he is saying you have a choice, and if you choose to reject God you are "sending your self to hell". not literally, but since you had the choice to embrace God, rejecting him would be like "sending your self to hell".
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 00:34
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    youre missing his point, he is saying you have a choice, and if you choose to reject God you are "sending your self to hell". not literally, but since you had the choice to embrace God, rejecting him would be like "sending your self to hell".
    Give me your wallet or I'll shoot you. If you choose to reject the rendering unto me of your wallet, you'll have only yourself to blame.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 00:42
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Give me your wallet or I'll shoot you. If you choose to reject the rendering unto me of your wallet, you'll have only yourself to blame.
    Or I'll shoot you? That doesn't quite characterize the proposition given by God.

It's more like, tell the truth or live a lie.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 00:55
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Or I'll shoot you? That doesn't quite characterize the proposition given by God.

It's more like, tell the truth or live a lie.
    Or live a lie, or tell the truth.
    It's all about perspective isn't it.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 01:24
    Originally posted by amannion
    Or live a lie, or tell the truth.
    It's all about perspective isn't it.
    As long as you have the right one!
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 02:03
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    As long as you have the right one!
    Which of course, we both have.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 04:42
    Originally posted by bbarr
    your analogy is asking me to give up something of mine, God doesnt ask us to give up something of ours.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 05:28
    your analogy is asking me to give up something of mine, God doesnt ask us to give up something of ours.
    Belief in God does ask you to give up something.
    You must give up your sense of control of your own life.
  10. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 06:15
    Originally posted by amannion
    Belief in God does ask you to give up something.
    You must give up your sense of control of your own life.
    and give up the freedom to do as you please...
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 06:18
    He wants me to give up my freedom and sense of self worth, serve under his yoke as his unworthy slave, and exhalt him as my lord and master.

Then if I find his offer to be unattractive, I'm not free to pass on it. My actions would have the most dire consequences imaginable.

It's a protection racket. If I give god his cut of the action, he supposedly won't drown me in a flood or a tidal wave. But if I don't give in to his blackmail, then who knows what torment will be visited upon me?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 07:05
    So why did God provide free will if he actually did not want people to use it?
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 07:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So why did God provide free will if he actually did not want people to use it?
    He didn't. It's a myth. Free will is completely incompatible with an omniscient, omnipotent being.

Either that or god is a myth. Take your pick.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 14:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    He didn't. It's a myth. Free will is completely incompatible with an omniscient, omnipotent being.

Either that or god is a myth. Take your pick.
    You've said this before, but you haven't ever supported it. How does one person's knowledge of a thing eliminate another person's choice in doing that thing?

Here's an example of a situation involving two people: one in action, one in knowledge, relative to omniscience.

Joe tells Bob that tomorrow, Joe is going to walk into the local bank and take as much money as they have on hand, by threat of a gun.

Bob warns Joe of the consequences, but Joe will have nothing to do with Bob's pleadings otherwise. Bob knows that Joe is going to do what he has said he has planned, but Bob does and says nothing beyond warning his friend against the action.

Does Bob's knowledge of Joe's intended action in any way change Joe's action? Bob knows just as much as Joe regarding Joe's future actions: does that knowledge make Joe's action any less free?
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 19:35
    Right, and the God doesn't have a gun either! So what? Would it make you feel better if I had said "Freely love me or burn for eternity"? Your point is irrelevant to the analogy. What you're faced with in both cases is a forced choice, and in both cases the one issuing the ultimatum is engaging in coercion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree