1. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You're free to believe it.
    But you cannot act in accordance with that belief?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:14
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    But you cannot act in accordance with that belief?
    How would you act on it? Are you going to start a pogrom against homosexuals?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:23
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
    if christians are 100% certain that they're belief is the right one and god is a christian god, would that be implying that every other religion is wrong, and so offended two thirds of the world's population?
    I believe I'm right about a lot of things, but even within my beliefs
    I am fully able to accept I could be wrong about a lot of things, there
    are certain things I hang my hat on that I believe are foundational
    to all my beliefs, such as Jesus Christ is the Son of God born in the
    flesh, who died for my sins, rose from the dead, and is now seated
    at the right hand of the God interceding for me and all of mankind,
    so that all that come to Him may be saved from their sins. All belief
    systems that diminish Jesus to just a guy who had some truth I do
    believe are error. I'm not sure what offending others has to do with
    truth, it is what it is, if I'm in error, I'm in error, that doesn't mean
    because someone may not like it, that I have to dismiss what I do
    believe is true.
    Kelly
  4. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:34
    How would you act on it? Are you going to start a pogrom against homosexuals?
    That wouldn't help save their souls, would it?

However, one might oppose legislation permitting people living in a homosexual relationship from adopting.
  5. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 17:55
    if christians are 100% certain that they're belief is the right one and god is a christian god, would that be implying that every other religion is wrong, and so offended two thirds of the world's population?
    According to this, Christians and everyone else that claims 100% exclusivity to God is 100% in error hiding behind the Great Wall of Language.

"Now the whole earth had one language and few words. And as men migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, 'Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly.' And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.' And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the LORD said, 'Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.' So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.' Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth." (Genesis 11:1-9)

Christianity is the last quater push to destroy this division
    (E pluribus Unum) and that's democracy!
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 18:00
    That wouldn't help save their souls, would it?

However, one might oppose legislation permitting people living in a homosexual relationship from adopting.
    Yes, one might. But if you said your reason for doing so was because you considered their lifestyle 'sinful' due to your religious beliefs, I don't think you'd get very far. You'd have to invent some other supposedly non-religious reason to push your agenda.
  7. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:07
    Yes, one might. But if you said your reason for doing so was because you considered their lifestyle 'sinful' due to your religious beliefs, I don't think you'd get very far. You'd have to invent some other supposedly non-religious reason to push your agenda.
    I suppose so. Although there might always be non-religious reasons in addition to religious ones even if the religious ones provide the greater motivation.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:28
    I suppose so. Although there might always be non-religious reasons in addition to religious ones even if the religious ones provide the greater motivation.
    Yes, but you could never get legislation against homosexual adoption passed on purely religious grounds. It would fail every time. Even though most people could see that your motivation was purely religious, you'd have to pretend it wasn't and invent some other reasons to cover your tracks. Only by distancing it from your religious beliefs could you get such a measure passed. Thus we see the legal sleight of hand and backdoor legislation currently favored by religious groups, such as the ID crowd.
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:33
    This is a very all or nothing way of putting it. There is truth in every religion. Islam is very close to Christianity in a lot of ways so it can't be completely wrong. If I say that 2+2 =4 , it doesn't mean that 2+2= 4.25 isn't quite close to being right as well , but then again 4.25 is the wrong answer looked at another way , but it's closer than 28.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 20:05
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    This is a very all or nothing way of putting it. There is truth in every religion. Islam is very close to Christianity in a lot of ways so it can't be completely wrong. If I say that 2+2 =4 , it doesn't mean that 2+2= 4.25 isn't quite close to being right as well , but then again 4.25 is the wrong answer looked at another way , but it's closer than 28.
    Does it matter if you are narrowly sent to hell, or were sent there with gusto? If you don't accept Jesus as your personal savior, you'll go to hell. Am I right? Every Muslim, without fail, will burn in the lake of fire, regardless of how peripherally close they were to christianity. Or am I mistaken? Can Muslims go to heaven without accepting Jesus as their savior? Since limbo has been officially swept under the rug, it does seem to be an either / or proposition.
  11. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 20:12
    Yes, but you could never get legislation against homosexual adoption passed on purely religious grounds. It would fail every time. Even though most people could see that your motivation was purely religious, you'd have to pretend it wasn't and invent some other reasons to cover your tracks. Only by distancing it from your religious beliefs could you ...[text shortened]... of hand and backdoor legislation currently favored by religious groups, such as the ID crowd.
    Well, it seems that most of the "backdoor legislation" appears to be coming from the [libertarian] courts, so I wouldn't put much store in that.

Do you consider it a reasonable response to reject the non-religious reasons simply because religious ones exist and may be held by the advocate of the motion?
  12. Joined
    15 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 16:12
    Doesn't the Bible say, "There is only one God, all of them are the same" roughly?
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 16:171 edit
    is this what you do in your spare time? criticize christianity? its getting old

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=56127
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 22:40
    Does it matter if you are narrowly sent to hell, or were sent there with gusto? If you don't accept Jesus as your personal savior, you'll go to hell. Am I right? Every Muslim, without fail, will burn in the lake of fire, regardless of how peripherally close they were to christianity. Or am I mistaken? Can Muslims go to heaven without accepting Jesus as th ...[text shortened]... limbo has been officially swept under the rug, it does seem to be an either / or proposition.
    God does not send people to Hell , ultimately people send themselves , or had you forgotten about free will? There will be not a single person who genuinely asks for salvation who will be turned down. Everyone will be given a fair opportunity to receive Christ in a personal way , either in this life or the next so in the final reckoning heaven could easily be populated with millions of Atheists. No one who genuinely seeks will be turned away. You can't go to Hell "by accident" because God's going to do everything he possibly can (without taking away your free will) to take you with him. I even believe that many of us will receive Christ without even realising that we are because we will call it something else or the experience will be so subtle and sublime. The Bible also says that everyone will be judged on the quality of their own personal revelation so those from an Islamic culture will have that taken into account as well.

A lot depends on whther one interprets "accepting Jesus" in a legalistic all or nothing way or a personal and more mysterious way. But then that depends on whether you think his presence is with us or not.
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 22:42
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    God does not send people to Hell , ultimately people send themselves
    thats a good point, it reminds me of this poster in one of my classes that says in caps I DO NOT GIVE YOU YOUR GRADES, YOU EARN THEM

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree